PDA

View Full Version : Olive Root bowl

turnerted
20th May 2019, 05:19 PM
G'day
Here's a bowl from an olive root dug up from my next door neighbour's yard . About 250 mm wide X 90mm deep . There's a lot going on here and no chance of finishing this one on the vacuum chuck . The finish is DO .
Comments welcome .
Ted

tony_A
20th May 2019, 07:31 PM
That bowl is a cracker Ted. You'd have to be happy with that. Did you have any trouble with grit or little stones embedded in the wood or bark? The only time I have tried a piece like this I gave because of all the grit.

Tony

Paul39
21st May 2019, 01:27 AM
That bowl is a cracker Ted. You'd have to be happy with that. Did you have any trouble with grit or little stones embedded in the wood or bark? The only time I have tried a piece like this I gave because of all the grit.

Tony

I love roots because of the wonderful abstract figure. I have tools made of 12mm square mystery metal and from a rotary lawn mower blade that I use to rough out and knock off the dirt, and find the embedded stones, wire and nails.

Turnerted, that is absolutely beautiful!!

When I clicked on the "Like This Post" above, I got a "You don't have permission to click on this button" in a box. ?????

turnerted
23rd May 2019, 12:57 PM
Thaks for the replys and likes .
Paul, Stones and dirt were a problem .I had to cut it in half before I could move it home and it stil had a lot of rubbish in it at that stage which rapidly bluntend the chainsaw . Once I got it to my place I spent a lot of time blasting it with water ,no problem then .
Ted

DAL1957
29th May 2019, 02:58 AM
Nice work, love the bowl. Makes me want to go outside right now and dig up a few of my olive trees.

brainstrust
1st June 2019, 10:14 PM
olive wood is generally nice but that olive root bowl is spectacular, so busy and natural :2tsup: