PDA

View Full Version : DONE Banksia wood for Woodwork or sculpture

David Lean
20th May 2019, 06:56 PM
Ideal for anyone creating sculpture, inlay woodworking or cabinet paneling. Perhaps an HSC Woodworking project.

I have a very limited supply of Banksia, I'm happy to provide to a good use. The price is a photo of what you create with it.

Banksia wood is reddish in color with an attractive grain. (see photos)

"Certified" Source

Recently our native Banksia tree died. Given how slowly hardwood's grow, this tree is likely over 100 year old. Meaning this type of wood is in short supply. Given it's beautiful rich red colour it seems a shame to burn it for heating.

Delivery

Available for you to pickup from Sydney's north. Or you to organise someone to pickup & deliver to you.
Cut into logs that will fit in most cars.
Email: [email protected]

Amount of wood.

If you don't need the whole lot, take what you will use.

See photos, there are quite a few logs.

Old Croc
21st May 2019, 09:35 PM
David, do you have any gear that you could saw it into 75mm squares at all?
Rgds,
Crocy.

aarggh
23rd May 2019, 03:35 PM
I'm crying in my beer your not in Melb! I would absolutely have loved to grab some!

cheers, Ian

Xanthorrhoeas
24th May 2019, 03:42 PM
Hi David,

You are absolutely correct, Banksia is a beautiful timber. Because of the large medullary rays it has a tendency to split very badly if not end sealed. If it is possible for you to paint the ends of the logs, even with house paint, it will help to keep it useful. Otherwise it may well just turn into firewood.

I echo aargh's cry (although it would be in my red wine in my case). If I were in Sydney I would love to have some. I happen to be flying into Sydney very briefly weekend after next but I suspect that airfreighting a log back to Brisbane may be prohibitive. I will PM you in case one of my relatives can pick up a log for me.

David

David Lean
7th June 2019, 04:54 PM
Sorry I don't know how to flag this Thread as COMPLETE.

All wood has gone to woodworkers (or has been put aside for them to collect.