PDA

View Full Version : Olive Bud vase with bark inclusion

Fumbler
25th May 2019, 05:40 PM
After getting home from night shift, picking my son up from a sleepover at 8:30, dropping the wife and daughter off at the daughters Choir practice, then taking my son to have his soccer team photos, then the game, then drop the daughter off at a birthday party, then pick her up 2hrs later, somehow I managed to turn this.....

A 150mm high / 60mm diameter Olive bud vase. It was the left overs from a branch milled down for some veneers. There is no finish on it yet, I was thinking of clear Gloss Acrylic from a spray can or livos oil, I'm undecided yet. I couldn't friction polish due to the bark inclusion.

c&c welcome, also possible suggestions for a finish!!

poundy
25th May 2019, 06:02 PM
lovely outcome from a busy day :)

smiife
25th May 2019, 07:48 PM
Hi fumbler , yeah I know that feeling , not enough hours in the day !........
Nice vase , looks good , well done ......

tony_A
25th May 2019, 08:30 PM
Nice little vase Fumbler. I like the finish from oil but would try it on a scrap of olive first.

Tony

Uncle Al
25th May 2019, 09:28 PM
Lovely shape you have there Fumbler. It looks like Jacaranda to me, but whatever it is, it looks like a nice close grained timber to turn.
I have made some Jacaranda pots during the week with bits of bark on it similar to yours and finished it with EEE followed by traditional wax from Ubeaut after sanding to 400 grit. Any wax on the bark section seems to have melted into the rough surface as I spent a bit of time friction polishing each pot.
i wasn't trying to make a gallery piece, having knocked out a batch of 20 of these pots as a table decoration for an upcoming kitchen tea. None of the attendees will be turners, but the nice finish should get me a brownie point or two.

It is great fun making the shavings fly, keep up the good work!

Alan...

Fumbler
26th May 2019, 07:37 AM
I didn't use shellawax or eee because the bark inclusion was inset and it was painful enough to sand let alone trying to apply pressure for the friction polish.

i do have a piece of jacaranda and although the colour seems similar, the bark doesn't match. But I will check my source and see if he got the wrong piece.

i have a small piece of the crotch left over which I'm thinking of spinning up also, see pic. Let me know if you still think it's jacaranda.

Uncle Al
26th May 2019, 08:45 AM
Not sure what timber you have there, but there should be some good grain in that crotch. Hopefully someone will chime in and identify the timber, then we will all know what it is.

Alan...

smiife
26th May 2019, 07:39 PM
Looks like a cross section of an elephants leg......:U
Nah , seriously...... definately jacaranda.....:2tsup:

brainstrust
26th May 2019, 07:41 PM
That is very nice, no shella or eee needed :2tsup:

Fumbler
28th May 2019, 02:29 AM
Well. I've decided to livos oil it and as the second coat went on, out came the sanding marks, the more finished you out on a piece the more they stand out. So out with the 3m grey followed by maroon scotchbrite pads, some light sanding with with the finish and she's coming up apples.