PDA

View Full Version : Pink York Gum burl, WA

Willy Nelson
1st June 2019, 11:59 PM
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen
I turned this Pink York Gum burl a few weeks ago, just getting sufficient coats of Danish oil upon it now. It was cut from a farm in Goomalling, WA in 2014. I rough turned it to allow it to dry quicker. These burls are extremely dense and hard, but the grain and colour, in my opinion, is stunning.
It was originally mounted by just press fitting the top of the burl against the Vicmarc chuck jaws and the tail stock was brought up and locked in place. The speed was initially approx 500rpm. A spigot was turned on the bottom, then reverse mounted.
The face turned flat, then bowl hollowed out. Power sanded to 600 grit, a few coats of sanding sealing, then the spigot was machined off using the arbortech turbo plane, then sanded flat on a disk sander. All up, approx 25 minutes work.
The burl is approx 100mm high, and 320mm at it’s widest. There is still a lot of weight in it as a consequence of the chunky form.
comments welcome
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

tony_A
2nd June 2019, 08:52 AM
That piece is simply stunning Willy. WA has some magnificent timbers, although I suspect that you spend a fair bit of time looking.

Tony