PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your mother-in-law?

Wongo
24th October 2005, 11:52 AM
After constantly hearing apricotripper nagged about his mother-in-law. It makes me think is it a man’s job to hate his mother-in-law. Are they created to be hated? It is all part of the nature? :D

For me, I am the lucky one. My mother-in-law loves me like her own son. She appreciates everything I make.

What about you?

(For the singles, think about your partner’s mother. For the female members, does your partner like your mother? For the older members, was your mother-in-law’s funeral the best party you’ve been to? :D )

E. maculata
24th October 2005, 12:02 PM
Yep she's not all bad.

bitingmidge
24th October 2005, 12:43 PM
My mother in law is an angel.

Which is ok for me, but sad that the kids didn't get to meet their grandmother (well the youngest one didn't).

Had she not been in her current supernatural state, I'm afraid the vote would have been quite negative. Well it would have been very negative. In fact, there isn't an option which adequately describes the nasty impact she had from time to time!

Cheers,

P
:) :) :)

Waldo
24th October 2005, 01:16 PM
G'day Wongo,

For me it's the reverse. The father-in-law, his opinion is the right and only one, especially in the shed - which irks me and needless to say some differences arise and I carry on in my preferred method. :mad:

A simple example which can be used across the board - he'll only use the minimum nails needed: 2, I'll use 3 or 5 depending for better strength.

namtrak
24th October 2005, 01:36 PM
We go up to the MIL's every friday night for a F 'n C night. All the inlaws gather and crap on about stuff they have done for the previous week, whilst it can be repetitive, the kids love it and their nan. All in all the MIL is pretty cool.

As for the poll I sort of got confused. Is a yes vote a negative vote? I voted yes saying that the MIL was cool, but it really means I was saying that she's not cool. What am I to do - my head hurts!!!

Wongo
24th October 2005, 01:39 PM
Sorry it is

yes i like my mil
no i dont like my mil

:)

Clinton1
24th October 2005, 01:48 PM
I've got a good one and hope to have her and my Father-inLaw live with us permanently one day.

Its good when you actually like your family, unfortunately its my blood rellies that try my patience.

TEEJAY
24th October 2005, 01:55 PM
My MIL is half a world away - is that too close?

She seems pretty cool though even if I can't understand a Russian word she says :D .

Cheers

silentC
24th October 2005, 02:00 PM
My mother in law is harmless enough. Could talk underwater and don't get her started on how she's feeling today but other than that, no problems from my perspective.

Don't ask my wife what she thinks of her mother in law though :eek: ;)

Just joking, dear... :o

bennylaird
24th October 2005, 02:04 PM
So is it yes if you do like her or no? The "not" is confusing?

Also don't want to confuse MIL with ?

Robert WA
24th October 2005, 02:13 PM
My MIL has gone to the angels a long time ago.
She was a strange old bird. Academic ( a BA, I think ) very well read, wrote some books, spoke 3 languages, but no common sense.
Like her? She was interesting and I enjoyed her company but she could be a pain in the .....
Her youngest daughter was cute though, and still is.

Simomatra
24th October 2005, 02:50 PM
My MIL has also passed on to the angels, God bless her.

She was great person really miss her

Looked but could not find any angel smilies

Cheers Sam

Wood Butcher
24th October 2005, 02:59 PM
My MIL is different to say the least, for many reasons.

1. If she comes to visit, the day could start off well, but change at a moments notice for no given reason.
2. She believes that she has been abducted by aliens.
3. She publishes one magazine on aliens and one on conspiracy theories.
4. She claims that jesus was not an immaculate conception, but mary was artificially inseminated by aliens.

All in all, I would say that she is a bit of a nut, loopy but friendly.

Kev Y.
24th October 2005, 03:29 PM
I voted NA. When I actualy had a MIL, things were not pretty, The EX used to joke that I had the MIL that jokes were made about, I did joke when I said the same thing.

The Wicked Witch despised me right from the word go, seems that she didn't take kindly to anyone who had an opinion opposing hers! Then when I statred to teach the (then) new wife to stand up for her self things just went to hell in a hand cart!

In her eyes I was never a good dad, didnt care about my kids, taught them to be disrespectful, had no control over them, was rude etc, etc, etc, blah blah blah

Just as the marriage thing was reaching its use by date, the "little woman" gleefully tells me that on our wedding day the witch said "don't know why we are wasting our money... this wont last 5 years" sorry to say she was out by 19!

Can honestly say I will not miss the old crone. However I will turn up to her funeral, in a cement truck, with a full load, just incase

Christopha
24th October 2005, 05:24 PM
My MIL was a good stick, I miss her... :( My mother on the other hand is a bloody old bat! She wrote my soon to be wife a letter telling her not to marry me because I was a barsteward.... unfortunately wife now agrees with her! :o

JDarvall
24th October 2005, 08:09 PM
:D

Oh dear Wongo. The results of this poll suggest that most like their MIL's. Maybe I just lucked out.

Mines like Aunty Jack, except she doesn't say....'rip ya bloody arms off' and she hasn't any facial hair...mmm...hang on, maybe she does. I'll have to have a better look next time.

She hates my guts. I don't know why ?... I'm a pretty easy going bloke I think.....I reakon the whole situation would be bearable if she didn't live around the corner. Cause, strangley for someone who rubbishes me that much, she drops by EVERYDAY. And everyday leads to some insult or at least somekind of comment that impleys I'm useless. (sniff)......Which gets me cross. Cause I work hard, I don't laze about. Kids, little sleep, the whole lot.

Maybe the problem is, I don't yell back at her. Haven't done that yet. I don't want a full blown arguement in my own house. There exausting at the very least.

Oh dear. Gonna have to move I reakon. There is one other option. But, I've never really been keen enough to guest star in 'Murder she wrote' . :D

doug the slug
24th October 2005, 09:11 PM
well my mother in law was a real lovely person, who i got along with famously, right up until the day her personality did a total backflip - guess what day that was??? Yep - the day i married her daughterhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif well my wife died just over 3 years ago and after about 3 months of trying the emotional blackmail on me that she had been working on her daughter (the doctor seemed to have forgotten to cut the umbilical cord when my wife was born), she suddenly realised that if she wanted to see her grandchildren (oops, sorry i mean her favourite grandson - she still treats the other 2 like $h!t) then she had to be nice to me again. the only hope my father in law has of at least a bit of peace in his life is if she dies before him. when i die im surei will go to heaven cos ive already been to hell http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

MathewA
24th October 2005, 09:20 PM
When she was alive she was alright by me, a little weird but a very kind lady. She wanted me to call her mom but I refused. I said that was a title that had to be earned. And I'm afraid you'll never measure up to the one who is called mom now. Being hungarian she didn't like it but I stood my ground and gave her a take it or leave it look. She eventually got over the refusal.

Jon
24th October 2005, 10:04 PM
gotta say that I got a good one, the whole family has accepted me as one of their own.
I have trouble sitting around at home because I get guilty of all the jobs that need doing so if I want a bludge I suggest to SHMBO that we visit her family, I sit around, watch foxtel and get treated royally, like I said I got a good one

Jon

Driver
24th October 2005, 10:36 PM
My old ma-in-law was a very nice person. Fortunately for me, her youngest daughter is cut from the same cloth. :)

Now my wife's MIL - that's a different story altogether! She wasn't the reason we wound up living on the other side of the world but there's no doubt that the tyranny of distance is, in Mum's case, a benevolent dictatorship!

AlexS
24th October 2005, 11:32 PM
The only thing wrong with my MIL is that her daughter is turning into her. :(

journeyman Mick
25th October 2005, 12:11 AM
A contractor with a MIL who works for the tax office :eek: need I say any more? :(

Mick

maglite
25th October 2005, 02:50 AM
My MIL is a great lady, very sarcastic sense of humour and calls a spade a shovel!!
Initially she veiwed me with distrust, baby daughter syndrome, but now we get on really well.
The FIL lives by the golden rule of "happy wife, happy life" and i think that i have become the default "getout" clause.

That being said, if i gave her a 1/2 inch of slack she would turn and bite me on the ****.........i often see where her daughter gets it from!!!

Wongo
25th October 2005, 12:23 PM
Well both my father and mother in law are great people. They have worked so hard for their 3 girls. They are always available to help.

When we first got married 9 years ago, I was then a jobless man on a student visa. It must be a hell of a risk to say “OK you can marry our baby girl (only 21).” Anyway, they helped us. Let us stay with them for 5 years.

Now we’ve bought a house next to them and I am doing well enough to have my wife retired. I guess their faith in me has paid off. Without them we won’t be where we are today. As their neighbours, we are committed to look after them when they get older. It is the least we can do for them and we are always thankful.

Sturdee
25th October 2005, 05:29 PM
I get on well with my MIL and FIL because three months after I met their daughter they retired and moved to the Goldcoast.

I can cope with the frequent telephone calls ( I know when she rings and know not to answer the phone :D ) and the annual 2 week visit at Christmas.

My wife normally visits them for 2 weeks during the year and she has a great holiday and I have a greater holiday not visiting them. :D

Peter.

Christopha
25th October 2005, 06:36 PM
I thought I might post a piccy of my loverlee MIL, she was a real cuty and I thought when I met her the first time, "I hope her daughter ends up this cute!"

Ianab
25th October 2005, 07:03 PM
One thing I've learned over the years....

Girls usually grow up a lot like their mothers....

If you dont like your MIL.. things look bad for the future.

Due to good planning.. I get on fine with my MIL ;)

Ian

Wild Dingo
26th October 2005, 12:57 PM
I voted no... simply cause she cant stand me period

Mind here over the last 22 years its become mutual and now when they come to visit I head for the shed...

Coming from different sides of the tracks made it next to impossible for my mum to get along with her parents made it next to impossible for her to get along with my missus until she died it was the main cause of disention how my mum (her MIL) hated her... and for me its the same actually worse since Ive got both a MIL AND a FIL while she only had a MIL to contend with :rolleyes: sheilas eh? even with this she gets of flamin light!! :p

The missus comes from wealthy stock Old Nedlands stock dontcha know? more money than you can toss a stick at and the expectation was that their daughters would marry money or at the least someone who can generate copious amounts of the stuff to keep pace with their lifestyle or the one they expected for their daughters... other BIL came from the same background so hes cool and they have a great relationship true quite astounding when you coldly look at it and analize it... hes had his own business (set up and financed by his dad) then sold it for well over 3/4mil has investment props all over WA and now at the bold old age of 34 has "retired"... two nippers born after they set the business up and bought their first home and now theyre doin well... an aside here Ive often wondered how it is that a 34 year old can know sooooooooo much about every topic under the sun and be a full bottle on things he has no idea of... aah anyway hes another git I have buggar all to do with

Sigh... thats where the trouble with MIL and FIL kicks in... I didnt... well we didnt... we went out and had 8 nippers straight of the racks!! :eek: WHAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!! :D ...ahem... we didnt get a business going we didnt buy a house straight up we had kids!! ;) so that was the first problem every year another kid... and their take was that I was ruining their daughter cause of course I made her have the kids... ahem... but Ive never had my own business and dont really want one not full time anyway and have never had aspirations to being wealthy or accumulating copious amounts of wealth... just comfort and enough for our needs is plenty for us.. trouble is they cant even say gidday when they visit nowadays so they turn up I mutter a gidday and head to the shed (these days the humpyhoochy) and they dont come down there!

Not that I havent tried strewth Ive gone out of my way to make them special things over the years Ive even until last year sat through their mundane know it all "discussions" wherein every utterance from me has been greeted with contempt or as though I know buggar all... last Chrissy this changed I made the BIL fully aware of what I thought of him and the FIL what I thought of him then finally after all these years let MIL know what I thought of her all in no uncertain terms (read good wholesome wharf rat lingo) probably finanly fullfilled their expectations of me but damn it felt good! :cool: ... and before anyone mutters they would have tried too... they didnt and havent first comment from MIL after we told them we were getting married was "Forget it it will last a month" his comments "dont be so utterly stupid" then several rants over the next 6 months with Jo being taken aside and roundly castigated by all her family other than one grandmother who somehow took me aside and told me to marry her and be happy and to hell with the family (great ol duck she was!) and we were married... then MIL tells me "you will divorce her cause shes not a housewife shes meant for better than you will ever offer her" and FIL deadly silence for the next 20 years!! he spoke to me for more than a 3 word sentance for the first time at my mothers funeral

And so it is... but as I am want to say whenever this subject comes up... "Phukem"... no worries! We... her highness me an the nipperoos are happy!

And that my friends is priceless! :cool:

DanP
26th October 2005, 01:15 PM
I'm not voting. The question and answers are ambiguous. It says "I like my mother in law. NOT"

Therefore if you answer yes, you are saying no and if you answer no you are saying yes. (Now I sound like a judge - sometimes no does mean yes then:eek:)

Dan

DavidG
26th October 2005, 02:12 PM
Can't vote due to the way the question is structured.
I like my MIL very much. She is really good to us. :D :D :D :D

corbs
26th October 2005, 10:57 PM
I have an evil MIL... among other things after a week with her 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 year old grandsons she sent us an email telling us they would both turn out as criminals and would be in jail by the time they are teenagers. She also said that our 5 1/2 year old son and myself have anger management issues :mad:, if I did have an anger management issue she would have a lot clearer impression of what I think of her ;).

It took me a bit of reading to figure out how to answer the question properly, the sarcasm had me confused a bit.

Corbs (who is moving closer to MIL :(... but still 3 1/2 hours away :))

savage
26th October 2005, 11:21 PM
Well! the poll is not going to give a true percentage, I voted YES and I do like my MIL, it's the FIL that I can only take in small doses, he's a bit of a winger, but I will be honest he has eased up a bit over the last few years, still can only put up with him for the odd weekend, MIL is always welcome and we don't see enough of her!....

savage(Eric):)

boban
27th October 2005, 12:23 AM
Some of the responses have been downright funny. This should be in the joke forum.

Anyway, I'm another one of the lucky ones. I got married before I graduated and had all 3 of my kids by the age of 27. We lived with my parents for a couple of years and with my in laws for a year whilst we built our own houses. My inlaws then moved in with us whilst they built. Then back to my parents for another year or so when we poured all our money into a development. If we didn't all get on then we would certainly have had some problems. I even worked with my FIL as a painter whilst at uni.

My MIL and FIL are good people and I am grateful for that. Certainly different from my parents who my wife absolutely loves, but good people nevertheless. And to top it all off, my parents and hers get on like a house on fire.

They actually wanted me to marry SWMNBO so that she could retire (had to slip that one in Wongo). I always laugh to myself because my BIL gets the ##### with how the MIL and FIL always defer decisions of importance to me.

Bodgy
27th October 2005, 12:26 AM
My MIL died before I met HI. I like her just fine.

Toggy
27th October 2005, 10:24 PM
In death; mine is much like she was in life. ROTTEN.

From the person she knew affectionally as "The Bastard" who married her daughter who she named not long after birth as "The B1tch"

What an old darling she was NOT. I did enjoy her funeral though.

Nuff said about the matter.

"The Bastard"

Gingermick
27th October 2005, 10:37 PM
My defacto MIL has some issues she needs to work on. But she convinced defacto FIL to give us a house deposit. For that, and gingerchick, I love them. My lathe was FIL's fathers. He also gave us a boat (cause he wanted a bigger one) and bunch of fishing gear and they are always welcome here.

graemet
28th October 2005, 10:13 PM
One of the reasons I married my ex was that her mother was a gem! She also thought the sun moon & stars shone forth from my anal orifice. The poor old dear is in a nursing home now, away with the fairies and has been for years. My old man used to say (when I was young and single), "Look at their mothers before you get serious!" Well, it didn't work that way personality-wise.

ele__13
29th October 2005, 06:33 AM
Im pretty lucky .... my ex MIL well hmmm she is nice enough to me know because she knows im not the "Root of all evil" ..... she now has a rude wingeing horrid control freak of a DIL and she is welcome to her we speak quiet often and we (as a family ) still do stuff for them .... as they will always be part of my family as they are daniel n skye's grandy's my ex FIL is a gem would do anything for him he is a complete angel .... he is waiting for heart surgery ....
my ex BIL's and SIL's love me as one of thier own and wanna keep me and ditch thier little brother ... and they hate ( with a passion) his new wife as do allof my nieces and nephews they have kept us and wont have anything to do with them ...

My partners mum and dad have always been lovely to me i dodnt have a prob in the world with them .... myex used to hate my mum saying she was the shebiarch from hell but it was good to see that when i braught my new significant other home ( well in my case ) flew mum from country vic to where we live ... they get on famously ... and gang up on me (lol) .... so im very lucky

hope everyone has a great nite we have 3 birthdays in this house in the next 2 weeks so we start partying tonite !!! cheers all Jules :):):):)

HoutBok
10th November 2005, 06:53 AM
My MIL was great while she lived 600kms away. We built a flat for the inlaws in the back yard - what a mistake. The FIL (now gone) was a pain in the ar@e previously but worse in the yard. She has become what all the jokes are about.http://www.ubeaut.biz/scared.gif NEVER let them live on your property and ALWAYS remember that SWMBO will be like thathttp://www.ubeaut.biz/realmad.gif later unless you work very hard to change her - apprentice woody is a good change. http://www.ubeaut.biz/laughing.gif

Termite
10th November 2005, 08:44 AM
First time round - MIL from hell.

Second time round - the coach for the first one.

Third time round - Jackpot, SWMBO was a widow so I ended up with two MIL, 1 FIL 10 BIL and 1 SIL. Being an only child of an only child with no living relatives this was a bit of a shock. However they are all great people and Xmas at our house is one hell of a party.:D

Rookie
10th November 2005, 11:38 AM
Bit like Termite but less attempts to get it right. The first one we both used to call Attilla the Mum. Really bad news and neither of us saw or spoke to her, and my ex still doesn't as far as I know. We worshipped the very dirt she treated us like (everyone actually).

The second one though is fantastic. Apart from being a fanatical Sydney Swans supporter. Maybe that's because they kicked us in the GF. Never mind. My wife reckons her Mum likes me more than she likes her, and she's meant to be the favourite kid. Maybe it's because I finally got her daughter out of her house.

biotechy2k
10th November 2005, 12:45 PM
I Love my MIL we all call her Pin but thats just her nic-name, she's a hoot, she does tai-kwando (spelling) and line dancing and is so full of energy and she's in her sixty's she has worked at the same high school since before her three boys went there and is still there and always has exchange students from all over the world stay with her, and they love her enough to call her their Aussie mum. She's supported her local community in and out of the high school and has been such a big contributer to the local soccer club in their little town (Oakey) that they've named a road/lane after her that leads to the soccer club, she's coached little wee fellas in soccer and takes part in anything she can for the high school, and would cut off her right hand for you
Pin is Great, she even sews hundreds of dog coats for dogs in shelters all over Australia as part as the knitted with Love crew.

My FIL Pins Ex well he's one of the most arrogant prats I've ever had the displeasure to come to our home, he turned up out of the blue after not seeing his son for god knows how many years asked me what I was doing
(at the time I was studying for an exam) and makes the comment
"Women should be on their backs or in the kitchen" they should not be taking up spaces at university " ( I nearly had to restrain hubby or it might have been patricide then and there. LOL

He's a bit of a joke but I do believe in Karma he ended up at one of the hospitals I was working with and I was sitting with my niece and he came over to oogle at her (she's a bit of a stunner ) and he (sleezy old dog)
asked if the nurse could help him to the toilet (he was having a problem with his catheter) Yeah Right
"She turned around and said "Sir I am a neurologist on a very much needed break but I will certainly get some help for you"
And who should turn up but one of the biggest wardies I've ever seen
I nearly wet myself, couldn't wait to ring hubby to tell him
He came home that night and said to me See Lou there is a God
Apparently made his day

doug the slug
27th November 2005, 10:11 PM
the only hope my father in law has of at least a bit of peace in his life is if she dies before him.

Well she did that yesterday morning at 7.30. i didnt wish her any harm, it just happened. long may she rest in peace

biotechy2k
27th November 2005, 10:31 PM
Dear Doug
I am so Sorry Sending Love and Hugs your Way
Hope Jules is Ok give her a big hug from me ok
Moved into the house hopefully getting two more book cases next week end and that should be the last of the boxes unpacked
hope to catch up soon with you guys
Love Lou

aussiecolector
27th November 2005, 11:15 PM
I used to think mine was ok if not a bit weard, but I've chainged my mind lately. Wife has had a bit of trouble with pregnacy and had to stay in town 300 km away from here, and it was far to much trouble for her mother to look after her. We heard nothing but wineing about how much work it was so I moved here to her fathers a bit farther from the hosiptal. Wife remembered why she left home when she was 13.

biotechy2k
27th November 2005, 11:33 PM
A while Back I mentioned my MIL "Pin" well we just found out that the school where she works has nominated her for the next year Aussie of the year for Community Service
I got quite choked up about it she deserves it
one of those good teary feelings that make you happy like when you hear something good on the news (Not that that happens much these days)
Cheers Bio

ele__13
28th November 2005, 07:04 AM
Brilliant news... is ghreat to hear good stuff for a change we are all sick of doom and gloom

willie
6th April 2006, 08:12 AM
Love mine unconditionally!

Wouldn't trade her for the world.

Second only to my own......

DanP
6th April 2006, 11:06 AM
suck.

She was watching, wasn't she.

Shedhand
6th April 2006, 12:33 PM
My first MIL was a real nasty piece of work.:mad: Took great delight in telling me her sl*t daughter was doing someone else in order to get me out of her family.:eek::eek: (good riddance I said).;)

My new MIL (18 years now) is a real gem.:) 78 years old. loves life, a punt, me and I'd do antything for her and I do.:) My own mother is a fat pile of dog do who lives 10 minutes away and who i haven't seen or spoken to since 1987 (and that was to tell her to FO):mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

doug the slug
8th April 2006, 03:06 PM
My MIL hasnt been any problem at all since the funeral:D :D :D