PDA

View Full Version : Whats with three wheelers?

Thewoodbasher
8th June 2019, 07:09 AM
Hey folks I was just wondering whats your take on three wheeled band saws, I recently restored one and gave it a couple of upgrades which has made it quite a good saw. But its still a 3 wheeler!

I have heard that they are quite dificult to get running properly due to wheel alignment of the three wheels, Personnaly I have found it to be ok and do it exactly as I would a two wheeler.... maybe im lucky?

For anyone interested in watching a video of what i did to my bandsaw, I made a couple of videos that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZhzxSA6Q7o&list=PLiTYvkSsiXSz1IAqo9Q6JOXHvBJv7QE97

Optimark
8th June 2019, 04:21 PM
Interesting re-build.

With regard to the wheels being a loose fit on the bearings, if there is enough material in the wheels, perhaps slightly larger OD bearings and enlarge the bearing hole accordingly?

What was the purchase price and what did you spend?

In Euros is a perfectly good answer.

Mick.

Thewoodbasher
8th June 2019, 09:16 PM
It didn't actually cost me all that much as I already had most of the stuff, I brought the machine itself from Ebay for about 30 euros and that was the main cost for me. If I had have had to of brought all the parts it would probably have cost me about 80/90€.

Ill have to look into new bearings for the wheels as I think that is quite a large problem!

Old Croc
8th June 2019, 09:30 PM
I have one of those generic Chineseum machines and I love it for small work like turning small pieces of ebony into sawdust to be used as a filler for cracks. The main problem with them is the small diameter of the wheels which shortens the blade life. I run 1/4" or 6mm blades and don't overtighten them.
Rgds,
Crocy.