PDA

View Full Version : David Payne T/S

Potterage
24th October 2005, 02:10 PM
Hi all
Thought I would post a few photos of where I am up to on building my 5.5m David Payne trailer Sailer. Still have a long way to go yet! Enjoying the trip.
Paul

Daddles
24th October 2005, 02:38 PM
She's looking good Paul. Very nice. David does good work doesn't he.

Richard

note for others - Paul is obviously a real boat builder - he's got SHAVINGS on the floor (a dirt floor I might add) :D

Simomatra
24th October 2005, 02:53 PM
Very good Paul

Keep the journey coming

Great work!!!

Cheers Sam

Auld Bassoon
24th October 2005, 08:49 PM
G'Day Potterage!

Looking lovely!

Is that Cedar strip planking - and are you going to epoxy/sheathe it per fairly standard strip-building techniques?

A lot of work to go, though: good stuff!

Cheers!

graemet
24th October 2005, 09:49 PM
Lookin good Paul.
Cheers
Graeme

Potterage
25th October 2005, 10:24 AM
G'Day Potterage!

Looking lovely!

Is that Cedar strip planking - and are you going to epoxy/sheathe it per fairly standard strip-building techniques?

A lot of work to go, though: good stuff!

Cheers!
Yes Steve, it is 30mm x 9mm Western Red Cedar. The cheapest way I was able to buy it was as Wall Cladding but I had to thicknessed it then rip it down to 30mm. It will have 400GSM double bias exterior and 300GSM Fabric interior.
Paul

rob_vt
26th February 2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the pics. Would you believe I was thinking of buying the same plans? I googled it to look for more info, and there was your post!

How hard a project do you think this would be for a non-carpenter type like me? (I am an electrician etc by trade). I do have a friendly and local carpenter mate who will dispense advice for beers, so this may help.

Cheers,
Rob

graemet
7th March 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Rob,
Having built and enjoyed this craft, my advice would be: go for it!
Cheers
Graeme

Scott Swindells
12th March 2009, 10:41 AM
Great looking boat,

Strip planked boats have such a lovely line to them, did you have your WRC cut in a "bead and cove" format or are they butt joined?

graemet
14th March 2009, 10:38 PM
My TS was butt joined, but then it was to be painted. The cove and bead system would have made it easier to keep everything flat against the building frame but would have used more timber and time.
Cheers
Graeme