PDA

View Full Version : Wood allergy

Arron
24th October 2005, 07:43 PM
Anyone else here suffer from a generalised wood allergy (ie allergic to all kinds of wood - or wood dust). If so, how do you get around it ?

cheers
Arron

ozwinner
24th October 2005, 08:07 PM
Go here (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/woodstuf.htm) and look at bad woods.

Al :)

Bluegum
25th October 2005, 12:53 PM
Hi Aron,

I to suffer from allergies and most saw dust sets me into a severe sneezing mode. Silky oak is a good one as it has sent me over the edege from time to time. I didn't sneeze or cough much when working with some brush box over the last weekend. To counter it I wear a P1 rated dusk mask and don't have any worries.

RufflyRustic
25th October 2005, 01:49 PM
I've chosen to never work with red cedar again, because of the reaction I have to it, unless I have proper equipment that will negate the effects of the dust.

cheers
RufflyRustic

outback
25th October 2005, 05:53 PM
I have a strange reaction. I get depressed, and moody if I don't go near sawdust for too long. :D

Arron
25th October 2005, 06:01 PM
Actually, its not a matter of being allergic to some particular woods - I'm allergic to them all. Its a contact allergy unfortunately, so dust masks etc wont help - the dust can contact any part of the body and the reaction will occur. The reaction is an itchy contact dermatitis. Its an unfortunate thing to have for a keen woodworker - but I'm glad I'm not a professional as I can knock off when I feel like it.

The drug 'Telfast' stops the allergy quickly and completely for a period of about two days - which is nice, though I dont want to be taking this drug all my life.

I havent yet found any one wood species to which I am more sensitive then any other, though I always watch closely when dealing with the usual suspects.

Arron

RufflyRustic
26th October 2005, 10:01 AM
Arron, that's rough, really rough. Good to hear that you can get some relief, but I'm sorry, I can't think of anything to help you other that a really good dust extraction system, an air purifier/cleaner and covering as much skin as possible when making sawdust.

RufflyRustic

nomoe
28th November 2005, 10:38 AM
Anyone else here suffer from a generalised wood allergy (ie allergic to all kinds of wood - or wood dust). If so, how do you get around it ?

cheers
Arron

Wear a mask and get tested for allergies?

Termite
28th November 2005, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Arron]Anyone else here suffer from a generalised wood allergy/QUOTE]

No but I do suffer from a generalised work allergy. :D

DavidG
28th November 2005, 11:28 AM
Arron
Take up pottery.;)

Auld Bassoon
28th November 2005, 08:07 PM
I believe that there's another current thread going on a related topic - drink port. Lots of it, especially crusted vintage port:eek: :D

A tad mor seriously, I sometimes have issues with Camphor, Blackwood and a few others; mostly dermatitis, so I use a barrier cream (more port)!

Cheers!

Auld Bassoon
28th November 2005, 08:08 PM
The drug 'Telfast' stops the allergy quickly and completely for a period of about two days - which is nice, though I dont want to be taking this drug all my life.

Arron

Hi Arron,

Is 'Telfast' a prescription or OTC drug?

Cheers!

Termite
28th November 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Arron,

Is 'Telfast' a prescription or OTC drug?

Cheers!

Sorry to but in. It's OTC, my wife uses it because it is one of the very few that people with high blood pressure can use.

Auld Bassoon
28th November 2005, 08:25 PM
Sorry to but in. It's OTC, my wife uses it because it is one of the very few that people with high blood pressure can use.

Thanks for that Termite!

I think I'll try some:o

Cheers!

Arron
28th November 2005, 08:35 PM
make sure you get the version of Telfast that is specifically marked 'relief of hayfever allergy or itchy skin rash/hives'. Its in a green packet. The usual version may not work so well with skin things.

Arron

Baz
1st December 2005, 05:47 PM
Arron, I bought this product EXO DERM a skin protection barrier from the wood turning shop up at Maleny. Pretty exy, $37 a can but will last a long time. Could be worth a try.
Cheers
Barry