PDA

View Full Version : Grub riddled Jarrah platter

Willy Nelson
20th June 2019, 11:41 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Previously, when confronted by a piece of timber riddled with grub holes, I have either repaired them with mixed success, or cut my losses and burnt the offending item.

However, armed with my new found knowledge of resins, I decided to disguise them.

I turned the bowl to a rough platter shape and sanded to 180 grit.

Firstly, using a Drexel with a cone shaped burr, I randomly bored out each of the grub holes.

Using blue tack, I then built little dams around the grooves on the inside of the platter so as to allow the resin to remain in the groove. Once dry, I then remounted the platter in the lathe and finished sanding it.

10 coats of Danish oil later, finished. I have found that some people hate it, and some love it. I am glad I was able to utilise the timber and not waste it.

Comments and feedback welcome

Willy
Jarrahland

Paul39
21st June 2019, 01:40 AM
A whimsical piece, made me smile. First thought, brown filler would be better, second thought, blue is fine, pops right off the natural color. "Plate With Blue Worms"

Not everyone likes the same thing. I admire the skill it takes to make tiny, fussy, finials. I would not make one if you held a gun to my head.

orraloon
21st June 2019, 11:19 AM
Nice feature, pretty lifelike.
If you went a step further and inlay small black eyes in those worms that would freak out the more fussy croud.
Regards
John

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st June 2019, 11:43 AM
I like the grub-holes, but I'm not too keen on the epoxy colour.

(I think that on darker timbers an infill of brass dust is the bee's knees. But that's a different method again and everyone to their own.)

turnerted
21st June 2019, 04:45 PM
An interesting effect .
Ted

powderpost
21st June 2019, 08:49 PM
Think I would agree with Skew, maybe a darker infill would have been better in my eyes. Still not a bad save.

In the end you really only have to please yourself.

Jim

Potts
21st June 2019, 09:11 PM
Great save and may be just good practice for something in the future. Resins seem to be all the go in some quarters nowadays.

Nubsnstubs
21st June 2019, 11:41 PM
Good save, Willy. When the picture loaded, and then enlarged, all I saw was worms crawling on the platter. I'm glad to see from others comments I'm not alone. Some comments are downright funny. A different color might have been better, but you still made a good choice in the color chosen. What is the size? Thanks for posting the beautiful platter.

Edit, of the pictures, which is the inside, and which shows the bottom?????............ Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Willy Nelson
23rd June 2019, 02:59 PM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen
Thanks for the feedback.
The Turquoise Blue, with Mica is my absolute favourite. I seem to do everything with it. I love the contrast, leaving everyone with no doubt that it is not a hidden repair.

Size, approximately 350mm by 40mm high.
Both photos are from the top