PDA

View Full Version : setting up job for routing?

normc
25th October 2005, 10:51 AM
Hi all, Have just started using my new router and am finding setting up the job a bit awkward. The natural way of things seems to demand that straight edges need to be clamped at the rear of the workpiece, so the router is in front, moving left to right with the bit visible through the chip shield. However, this means the clamps and straight edge are positioned at the rear of the workpiece toward the back of the workbench, and one is leaning right over to reach the router, which is not good practice. Also my workbench is against a wall, which makes it impossible. The only solution seems to be to make up an auxiliary worktop of a suitable width for each job, which is accessible from the rear. Is this what everyone does, or am I missing something here? Appreciate your replies

normc
25th October 2005, 04:10 PM
Please ignore previous post. I figured out the problem is my workbench is located in a left hand corner with limited access from the RHS. This prevents me from clamping jobs in the natural position for a right hander. Looks like I'll need to move some stuff to get access from the right spot. Hasn't been a problem with any other tools so far so just wasn't obvious at first.

Ianab
25th October 2005, 06:38 PM
In case it helps...

I use my B&D Workmate to hold things for routing, or clamp them to it, depending on what I'm doing. That way I can manouver it and myself into whatever position is comfortable.

Cheers

Ian

normc
26th October 2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks Ian, it might also help with the dust problem as I could put the workmate near the open garage door and mulch the garden at the same time.

Cheers
Norm