PDA

View Full Version : Need an ultra thin spanner for Carbatec Table Saw

Glider
2nd July 2019, 09:58 AM
I have a dado stack stuck in my Carbatec TSC 10HB table saw. When I bought it second hand about 8 years ago, it never came with the thin spanner used to engage the two flats on the other side of the blade shaft. Carbatec told me the next shipment of spanners would come in late September.

I think, but can't be sure, that I need a 28mm thin spanner to engage the flats. This I can buy as part of a set on EBay but only if I know it'll fit.

Can anyone tell me the exact size of the spanner? Or better still, allow me to borrow it so I can change back to a single blade?

mick

BobL
2nd July 2019, 10:03 AM
Once you know the size you can always buy a cheap spanner and grind/sand it to a thin profile. I had to do something similar at the mens shed, took a while but it did the job.

Glider
2nd July 2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob. That was plan B with Plan C involving making one from thin steel plate with hacksaw and drill.

mick

woodPixel
2nd July 2019, 02:28 PM
You don't need a spanner.

Just use a piece of scrap and jam it onto the teeth of the dado - then against the front of the insert plate. Like a lever.

This will stop the dado from turning. Just use your outside spanner on the nut.

No need to go fancy.

Glider
2nd July 2019, 05:08 PM
This will stop the dado from turning. Just use your outside spanner on the nut.

Thanks for your input but the dado stack has been stabilized. The torque on the outside hexagonal nut is turning the shaft inside the blades. It's the shaft itself which needs held from the other side.

mick

rustynail
4th July 2019, 10:03 AM
If you are going back and forth to Oberon I can lend you one on the way through.

Glider
4th July 2019, 10:21 AM
That's incredibly kind of you and much appreciated! If I can get the dado stack out of the machine and replace it with a normal blade, Carbatec's delivery date of October would be OK.

If the size is 28mm, I can buy a spanner to fit and save you the trouble. Could you please measure your spanner and let me know?

mick :)

elanjacobs
4th July 2019, 06:54 PM
Whole bunch of sizes here Cone Spanner (https://www.pushys.com.au/tools/wrenches/cone-spanners.html)

Glider
8th July 2019, 09:31 AM
Thanks Elan. I've probably posted in the wrong place because I've yet to have the size of the spanner I need confirmed. I'll have take a punt and buy a 28mm one and hope for the best.

mick

Sturdee
8th July 2019, 10:43 AM
I'll have take a punt and buy a 28mm one and hope for the best.

mick

I had a look at the one I made years ago from an old spanner and mine is 29 mm opening and 3.5 mm thick. Whilst you are at it put that one and your outside spanner on longer handles as you can apply more pressure without your hands getting in the way.

Peter.

elanjacobs
9th July 2019, 09:55 PM
Thanks Elan. I've probably posted in the wrong place because I've yet to have the size of the spanner I need confirmed. I'll have take a punt and buy a 28mm one and hope for the best.

mick
Yeah...probably would have been better in the table saw section...

Glider
16th July 2019, 09:11 AM
I had a look at the one I made years ago from an old spanner and mine is 29 mm opening and 3.5 mm thick.

Thanks Peter. You have to wonder why people build non-standard sizes into their designs. It's a great idea to secure the spare spanners market but not so good for repeat sales of table saws.

The dado stack is now back in its box. Whew! At the suggestion of an engineer friend, I got under the bonnet and put a wedge between the drive belt and the pulley to stabilise the drive shaft. Bingo.

mick :)