PDA

View Full Version : Penetrol - when not to?

gtvone
3rd July 2019, 10:46 AM
Cleaned up the wheels on my 32” LS Barker finally, chipped the ancient tyres off and sanded them back to smooth(ish) and am considering using penetrol to finish them and stop them rusting up again prior to fitting the new tyres. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? (Excuse the average photos, they’re a screen cap from my Instagram stories) please and thanks! -Simon https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190702/6ba4fc9271378c456a57fea7a1174da1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Croc
3rd July 2019, 08:33 PM
Simon, when I got my vintage 24" Robinson retyred by a company called Linatex, they have a new name now, they asked me to sand the wheels back to bare metal for them to help the glue grip. That was 20 yrs ago and it is is as good as new now, runs a 5hp motor, overdriven for speed and will cut 550mm billets.
Rgds,
Crocy.

gtvone
3rd July 2019, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Croc! Sanded mine back and popped the tyres on today, not glued yet - not sure if I should or not (damn Internet, so many comments for and against haha) I decided not to Penetrol the surface just in case the rubber didn’t appreciate it. I’ll do more research. I guess my main problem is the motor which I’ve also not decided on yet. It had a single phase 1 horse motor on it (makeshift) that you literally had to feather onto the belt while hand spinning her up! Fun times.. I still have the original (it was under a shelf, in the shed when I bought the house) it’s a 3ph 2hp - so I’m toying with a single phase 2 or 3hp. This is without getting a VSD and a 3ph motor. Reality is she will likely get light useage, and is waaaay more saw than I need, but it’s what I have and I’d like to see it keep running. Sorry! Long winded reply from an enthusiastic beginner. Cheers!

Old Croc
3rd July 2019, 08:40 PM
Brain is a bit dull tonight, I meant to say talk to whoever you are getting to do the work.
Crocy.

gtvone
3rd July 2019, 08:42 PM
A work in progress!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/8d456980e3b5de58d80bf886009d7308.jpg

gtvone
3rd July 2019, 08:42 PM
Brain is a bit dull tonight, I meant to say talk to whoever you are getting to do the work.
Crocy.

That’s me, and although I do talk to myself often, it hasn’t helped in this case [emoji23]

gtvone
3rd July 2019, 08:44 PM
Pre-tyred

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/490bc41dd0a48ab146b9696ffbdb8a8d.jpg

Toymaker Len
3rd July 2019, 11:25 PM
I think the tyres really need to be glued down, after all you don't want to be throwing off a rubber in the middle of a cut. With big wheels like that the centrifugal force is constantly trying to dislodge the rubber and if they are securely glued down then you can be confident when playing with the blade speed. If you want to do a bit of veneer cutting then higher speeds will give you a smoother cut and less sanding on the finished product.

gtvone
4th July 2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks you, Len, I will glue them - just need to work out the best solution for gluing.
I think the tyres really need to be glued down, after all you don't want to be throwing off a rubber in the middle of a cut. With big wheels like that the centrifugal force is constantly trying to dislodge the rubber and if they are securely glued down then you can be confident when playing with the blade speed. If you want to do a bit of veneer cutting then higher speeds will give you a smoother cut and less sanding on the finished product.

clear out
4th July 2019, 01:01 PM
I helped a mate in the States glue new tyres on his 30” Bandsaw a while ago.
We had a number of bits of dowel between the tyre and wheel.
We could get the tyre on evenly then lift the tyre up and put the glue on a bit at a time.
Cant remember what glue we used it was about 35 years ago:D
Are you Queenscliff NSW?
I get over that way occasionally and wouldn’t mind having a swizz at your saw if that’s ok.
H.

gtvone
4th July 2019, 05:29 PM
I successfully used a broken bit of a fan pole to get the tyres on - MacGuyvery'd it... I will do the same to put the glue under, I think. And I'm afraid not, I'm down in Victoria.

I helped a mate in the States glue new tyres on his 30” Bandsaw a while ago.
We had a number of bits of dowel between the tyre and wheel.
We could get the tyre on evenly then lift the tyre up and put the glue on a bit at a time.
Cant remember what glue we used it was about 35 years ago:D
Are you Queenscliff NSW?
I get over that way occasionally and wouldn’t mind having a swizz at your saw if that’s ok.
H.

Old Croc
4th July 2019, 08:32 PM
So were these pre-made tyres? If so, can you tell me where you got them?
I did read somewhere that a guy had pre-made tyres and he also used a largish dowel and squirted Sikaflex in behind the dowel and kept rolling it forward, supposedly in equalised itself.
Rgds,
Crocy.

gtvone
5th July 2019, 01:28 PM
So were these pre-made tyres? If so, can you tell me where you got them?
I did read somewhere that a guy had pre-made tyres and he also used a largish dowel and squirted Sikaflex in behind the dowel and kept rolling it forward, supposedly in equalised itself.
Rgds,
Crocy. These are the ones I bought: Urethane Bandsaw Tyres (https://thewoodkid.com.au/toolshop/bandsaw-tyres/) and I'm literally just back from picking up Sikaflex. A mate used to work for Sikaflex, he swore by it for everything, and my research and label reading said it should do the job. I'll use the same method to get it under the tyre - Hope to get that done today, I also have to sand down the table today (sooo expensive to get it surface ground) so I'll do an Andy Rawls and 40, 80, 120 it... See how it turns out. Will report back.

gtvone
11th July 2019, 09:54 AM
I'm almost there... The insert for the main table needs re-doing, and due to its hilariously uneven edges, I have to make something up.... Not sure what, yet, but I'm thinking it may involve a moulded metal bog contraption with a wooden insert - unsure. The other main hurdle is the motor... Trying to work out of I can put a start up load of 13.9A on my shed power (I don't have 3Ph or the cash to get a new 3Ph / VSD setup right now, that will be the long term plan)

Here's the insert dilemma... Any thoughts certainly appreciated.

Old Croc
11th July 2019, 09:28 PM
I'm almost there... The insert for the main table needs re-doing, and due to its hilariously uneven edges, I have to make something up.... Not sure what, yet, but I'm thinking it may involve a moulded metal bog contraption with a wooden insert - unsure. The other main hurdle is the motor... Trying to work out of I can put a start up load of 13.9A on my shed power (I don't have 3Ph or the cash to get a new 3Ph / VSD setup right now, that will be the long term plan)

Here's the insert dilemma... Any thoughts certainly appreciated.

Ok, 2 parts. I had a similar problem so I put a flat bottomed carbide burr in my Hitachi 3 hp router and kept taking small cuts till i got it reasonably flat. If you want to be safer, use a pink mounted stone. Then get some aluminium and make an insert plate, you can do this on a metal or wood lathe.
For the power problem, you could get a leckie in to change the circuit breaker to one with a different curve for motor starting, so hopefully it will work.
Rgds,
Crocy.

gtvone
11th July 2019, 09:34 PM
Thank you sir, I shall give it a crack! Cheers.

gtvone
12th July 2019, 01:27 AM
For the power problem, you could get a leckie in to change the circuit breaker to one with a different curve for motor starting, so hopefully it will work.
Rgds,
Crocy. Had a slight change of heart... Dropped the hammer (The wife won't know until the morning, I'm safe for the next 7 hours!) on a 2hp 3Phase and a VFD. The original motor was a single horse 3 phase, so the 2hp should be just fine. I may need to fabricate a plate for it to live on, but this project is just getting more exciting by the day.

Old Croc
12th July 2019, 08:52 AM
Had a slight change of heart... Dropped the hammer (The wife won't know until the morning, I'm safe for the next 7 hours!) on a 2hp 3Phase and a VFD. The original motor was a single horse 3 phase, so the 2hp should be just fine. I may need to fabricate a plate for it to live on, but this project is just getting more exciting by the day.
My 17" bandsaw is 3hp single phase and is in a power point without any problems, including a small crapco dust extractor, both connected to a double power point controlled by a contactor, so they come on together.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Mobyturns
12th July 2019, 09:08 AM
Simon, when I got my vintage 24" Robinson retyred by a company called Linatex, they have a new name now, they asked me to sand the wheels back to bare metal for them to help the glue grip. That was 20 yrs ago and it is is as good as new now, runs a 5hp motor, overdriven for speed and will cut 550mm billets.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Its a beast alright. Big tough old iron. :2tsup:

I could have got a Wolfenden 24" but declined as it would encourage me to do things that I should not be doing with my "battery operated" status. :-

Mobyturns
12th July 2019, 09:21 AM
These are the ones I bought: Urethane Bandsaw Tyres (https://thewoodkid.com.au/toolshop/bandsaw-tyres/) and I'm literally just back from picking up Sikaflex. A mate used to work for Sikaflex, he swore by it for everything, and my research and label reading said it should do the job. I'll use the same method to get it under the tyre - Hope to get that done today, I also have to sand down the table today (sooo expensive to get it surface ground) so I'll do an Andy Rawls and 40, 80, 120 it... See how it turns out. Will report back.

Sikaflex 291 is an excellent product. Literally sticks like $hit to a blanket. We have had to cut it away when replacing a marine grade plywood floor glued to the aluminium floor frame of our 6m Cairns Custom Craft mini-game boat.

Woodworkers should also consider the Sikaflex SikaBond® PVA Woodworking Glue especially if using timbers such as Tas Blackwood. It has a different pH to Titebond & Selleys PVA's and doesn't "blacken" glue joints or stain surfaces as much.

gtvone
12th July 2019, 10:16 AM
Sikaflex 291 is an excellent product. Literally sticks like $hit to a blanket. We have had to cut it away when replacing a marine grade plywood floor glued to the aluminium floor frame of our 6m Cairns Custom Craft mini-game boat.

Woodworkers should also consider the Sikaflex SikaBond® PVA Woodworking Glue especially if using timbers such as Tas Blackwood. It has a different pH to Titebond & Selleys PVA's and doesn't "blacken" glue joints or stain surfaces as much.
And, if you read the other part of the label, will give you cancer, destroy your organs and likely cause catastrophe if you get it in your hair... ! Fun stuff. It worked very well though. Well, at hand-spun speeds the wheels feel good and even, I'll pick the motor up next week and try to get it all sorted the week after. Then I only need to find a 16' blade. Simple!

Old Croc
12th July 2019, 03:00 PM
And, if you read the other part of the label, will give you cancer, destroy your organs and likely cause catastrophe if you get it in your hair... ! Fun stuff. It worked very well though. Well, at hand-spun speeds the wheels feel good and even, I'll pick the motor up next week and try to get it all sorted the week after. Then I only need to find a 16' blade. Simple!
I would give it's original motor a go first, see if it is a problem. I highly recommend Henry Bros in Sydney, they mail order mine to me, I am currently using Lennox Woodmaster B, bimetal, can't fault them for the money.
Crocy.