PDA

View Full Version : wetstone grinding wheel replacement

reeves
25th October 2005, 05:25 PM
Hi, i have a Sheppach Tiger 2000 and am sick of the standard wheels which needs truing a fair bit and grooves easily on HSS tools...
so am looking for suitable replace wheel...

200mm X40mm

dont want the tormek wheel as they apparently have the same problem on angled tools...and cost about 280...

so does anyone have any experience in this issue..?

can a fastgrind pink wheel of the same size work...?

other options..

thanks
john

rodm
25th October 2005, 06:36 PM
John
At a guess should that be
200mm X 40mm ?

reeves
26th October 2005, 09:37 AM
John
At a guess should that be
200mm X 40mm ?

er yep thanks Rod...

Sprog
26th October 2005, 06:30 PM
Use all the surface of the stone then you will not get a groove :D

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/demo.php

Christopha
26th October 2005, 07:21 PM
DON'T use a wetstone for grinding your HSS turning tools.... use an 8" bench grinderv with a stone from Jum Carroll especially made for grinding HSS. Save your wetstone for your cabinet/ carpentry tools.

Mike Jefferys.
26th October 2005, 10:55 PM
Speaking as a retailer of both water wheel and standard bench grinders, anyone who sells you a water wheel one for HSS turning tools is not fully appraised of the issues. Sure you'll get there in the end and the quality of the edge will be just fine but IMHO there is no alternative to an Aluminium Oxide, cool running, open grit wheel (grit between 46 and 60) on a standard dry wheel bench grinder. More's the pity but water wheels, although perfect for carbon steel tools, are just not up to the task with HSS with reasonable speed and the wheels will also get very knocked about. The very popular European sourced water grinders are maybe from a world where carbon steel turning tools are assumed - we use HSS and have to sharpen much more frequently due to the average hardness and abrasive qualities of our hardwoods.
Mike Jefferys - The Wood Works Sydney

reeves
28th October 2005, 11:59 AM
ok guys thanks for the replies....

i ahve source a Aluminium Oxie wheel from Gary Pye for $38

and in Peter Child in the UK has microcrystalline wheels at that size for

131.999 AUD

maybe i'll get both, shoiuld solve the issues i have,,

cheeeeeeers
john

hughie
28th October 2005, 01:51 PM
Reeves, Try your local Hare & Forbes, here in Sydney they sell them for $25. Hughie

reeves
30th October 2005, 11:19 PM
Reeves, Try your local Hare & Forbes, here in Sydney they sell them for $25. Hughie

thanks Hughie, local to me is a 300k round trip so any savings would be spent on fuel..

i have 2 wheels on the way, aluminimum oxide and a mcirocristalline wet stone..around 200$ for both so i am looking forwrad to the change..

cheeeeeeers

China
15th December 2005, 03:20 AM
Reeves as a proffessional I can tell you that in a woodturning sence wet wheel are a complete waste of time and money, the new microrystaline wheels are exellent, I have replaced all my wheels with them. I must concede that for a hobbiest they might be bit expensive
China