PDA

View Full Version : Centre height on the Hafco Mini?

Redbeard
5th July 2019, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know the height of the centre of the Hafco WL-14 mini lathe above the bench?

Thanks

smiife
5th July 2019, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know the height of the centre of the Hafco WL-14 mini lathe above the bench?

Thanks

Hi redbeard , I thought the centre of any lathe was the same as your bent elbow height when standing In front of the lathe ! :;

Fumbler
8th July 2019, 02:11 PM
I have this lathe and from the bottom of the feet to the centre of the spindle is 375mm or thereabouts.

here is my set up and probably 20-50mm too high, but I haven't had a crook back yet. There is no leaning over ie hunched. I used the method Smiife described above. I'm 6'2" and this is ideal for me probably a tad too high but it's a big job to cut the table legs down. The height to the top of the table is 900.

Redbeard
8th July 2019, 02:25 PM
I have this lathe and from the bottom of the feet to the centre of the spindle is 375mm or thereabouts.

here is my set up and probably 20-50mm too high, but I haven't had a crook back yet. There is no leaning over ie hunched. I used the method Smiife described above. I'm 6'2" and this is ideal for me probably a tad too high but it's a big job to cut the table legs down. The height to the top of the table is 900.

457641Thanks Fumbler. I took delivery of my lathe on the weekend and the bench build will start in earnest tomorrow. Mine won't be quite as flash as yours but it'll be a good base to start from. I'm aiming for about 1050mm high as that's what I'm used to with my current lathe. Have you bolted the lathe to the bench?

Cheers
Redbeard

Fumbler
8th July 2019, 05:54 PM
Thanks Fumbler. I took delivery of my lathe on the weekend and the bench build will start in earnest tomorrow. Mine won't be quite as flash as yours but it'll be a good base to start from. I'm aiming for about 1050mm high as that's what I'm used to with my current lathe. Have you bolted the lathe to the bench?

Cheers
Redbeard

Nice. No it's not caged and did one hell of a dance whilst turning this

But it settled down once it got to this

457707 457708

The block started out 220 diameter 150 high.

Redbeard
8th July 2019, 06:04 PM
Nice. No it's not caged and did one hell of a dance whilst turning this

But it settled down once it got to this

457707 457708

The block started out 220 diameter 150 high.Nice work. I've got a few cranky pieces I'm itching to have a go at so I'm thinking mine might get attached. My bench will be open underneath so I'll be able to get some long bolts or some threaded rod into the holes for the feet. Must be how it gets mounted on the stand.

Fumbler
8th July 2019, 08:38 PM
I went out to Hare & Forbes and asked if they had a floor plan for the bolts but they said no. So I think I will grind some bolts to a point screw em in and mark where I need to drill, then secure it for the next block of burl.

Redbeard
8th July 2019, 09:01 PM
I figured a little work with tape measure and ruler plus some slightly oversized holes to account for dodgy measurements would suffice.

brainstrust
9th October 2019, 07:25 PM
Hi there, just curious what you both think of this lathe?

Redbeard
10th October 2019, 09:01 AM
Hi there, just curious what you both think of this lathe?It certainly works for me. I have mine bolted to a work bench so it's pretty solid. With the 350mm swing I've managed to reduce some pretty big lumps of wood down to much smaller pieces. It's only 3/4 hp so a you have to take your time with the bigger pieces.

I will be buying the bed extension eventually but for bowls and lidded boxes the length is just fine. I don't have to tool hanger mounted on the end so it's pretty easy to skip the tail stock off to give a bit more elbow room when following.

The build is pretty good with the important surfaces finished fairly well, they haven't wasted time making it pretty. There's a bit of play in the tail stock which needs to be addressed. The quill travel is nothing to write home about but it works.

The indexing works well but the actual toothed disk is plastic so you can't use it to lock the spindle while taking off a chuck without risking damage.

The speed control works well, with a nice clear speed readout. I do wish it had the bigger OFF switch, I find myself hitting the ON button when I'm not watching what I'm doing. Normally ok but in an emergency it could be a problem.

I bought mine in July so all the issues with abrupt stopping seem to have been resolved, certainly I've not had a problem either stopping or reversing the lathe.

It's a solid, quiet lathe, built to a price, but what you get is good for a relative newcomer. I replaced an old carbatec M900 lathe with the WL-14. Same power, bigger swing, electronic speed control, indexing and reverse for about $500 at tax time made sense to me.

brainstrust
10th October 2019, 07:49 PM
Thanks Red. It's $572 these days (plus shipping) but still seems good value for money:)

Fumbler
11th October 2019, 04:57 AM
Its exactly as Redbeard says, his description is basically on the money, and although I'd like the bed extension also I am somewhat restricted with space. its a very good lathe for the money especially as it has EVS.

Fumbler
11th October 2019, 04:58 AM
Thanks Red. It's $572 these days (plus shipping) but still seems good value for money:)

Brainstrust, why not sign up as a Machinery House Mate and you'll get $50 off (atleast covers the GST)

brainstrust
11th October 2019, 09:26 PM
Any thoughts on how the 450 x 300 Sherwood electronic variable speed compares to it?

Redbeard
11th October 2019, 09:43 PM
Thanks Red. It's $572 these days (plus shipping) but still seems good value for money:)Hence why i waited until the end of financial year sales. There are some benefits to having my birthday in the first few days of July.

And if you can pick it up, it's not *that* heavy, you can save again.

Redbeard
11th October 2019, 09:51 PM
Any thoughts on how the 450 x 300 Sherwood electronic variable speed compares to it?Looks like a very similar machine, just that little bit smaller. If siize doesn't matter then it probably comes down to which colour matches your workshop better.

Fumbler
12th October 2019, 06:27 AM
Hence why i waited until the end of financial year sales. There are some benefits to having my birthday in the first few days of July.

And if you can pick it up, it's not *that* heavy, you can save again.

I did the same for my club, but bought the WL-20 (1100 bed), then had to arrange others to help me unload as its double the weight. almost. its a 92kg box!!

Fumbler
12th October 2019, 06:28 AM
Any thoughts on how the 450 x 300 Sherwood electronic variable speed compares to it?

Cant say I have had any experience with the Sherwood sorry.

brainstrust
12th October 2019, 09:09 AM
I'm struggling to find much detail on the Sherwood apart from the Timbecon site. Can't even work out who makes them!!!
The Hafco though has all the info you need.

brainstrust
19th December 2019, 03:13 PM
I got the WL-14 :U Just played with it for the first time, seems very nice so far! The headstock has a different size thread then all my chucks! Does anyone know which adaptor I need for it!!!?

Redbeard
19th December 2019, 08:35 PM
I got the WL-14 :U Just played with it for the first time, seems very nice so far! The headstock has a different size thread then all my chucks! Does anyone know which adaptor I need for it!!!?The WL-14 has a 30x3.5 thread. What size are your chucks? Do they have adaptors already?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

brainstrust
19th December 2019, 08:54 PM
Chuck body which is pre-threaded 1in. x 8in. tpi thats my barracuda which is the same as my other chucks. i dont have any adaptors that fit the WL 14.

Redbeard
20th December 2019, 01:02 AM
Brains

I would just hit the Hafco website. They have a fair variety of adaptors in their lathe accessories range.

Good luck!
Redbeard

Redbeard
20th December 2019, 01:10 AM
Or...

I may have spoken a bit hastily. I've just had a look myself and of course, Hafco only stock the adaptors to fit their chucks at 40x2.0 threads. You will have to look a bit further afield. I'm sure what is needed will exist.

brainstrust
20th December 2019, 12:21 PM
ok I know I'm being a pain but................would this be what I need?

NOVA CHUCK INSERT/ADAPTOR M30x3.5 (mm) RH THREAD (SKU IQNS) - NOVA (https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-chuck-insertadaptor-m30x3-5-mm-rh-thread-sku-iqns/)

brainstrust
20th December 2019, 12:27 PM
hang on no thats wrong! hard searching when they don't give both thread sizes.

brainstrust
20th December 2019, 12:38 PM
This one!!!!! Nova Insert suit Nova Chucks 30mm x 3.5mm Pitch | Chuck Inserts - Carbatec (https://www.carbatec.com.au/nova-chuck-insert-m30-x-3-5-iqns)

its 30 x 3.5 and fits nova chucks which are 1" x 8 TPI :rolleyes:

though it does says its a unique thread!

Redbeard
20th December 2019, 12:51 PM
Brainstrust, I think you might be best served by making a few phone calls. The details never seen to be clear as to what they fit.

Colin62
20th December 2019, 08:49 PM
The WL-14 has a 30x3.5 thread.

Chuck body which is pre-threaded 1in. x 8in. tpi

I may be wrong but from what I’ve can work out, you’ll need a 30x3.5 female and. 1”x8tpi male.

brainstrust
20th December 2019, 09:14 PM
I may be wrong but from what I’ve can work out, you’ll need a 30x3.5 female and. 1”x8tpi male.

yes just finding one is the drama............

Colin62
20th December 2019, 11:59 PM
yes just finding one is the drama............
Not cheap, but these guys have one listed.

M30 x 3.5mm (Female) To 1" x 8 TPI (Male) Chuck Adapter Suit Wood Lathe by Oltre - Beyond Tools (https://www.beyondtools.com/product/1-x-8-tpi-male-m30-x-3-5mm-female-chuck-adaptor-suit-wood-lathe-oltre/amp/)

Vicmarc also do one. Not sure of the price, the V00030 seems to be what you’re looking for.

Lathe Accessories: Spindle Adaptors (https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=168&virtuemart_category_id=21)

DavidG
21st December 2019, 12:49 AM
Check McJING Tools Online (https://mcjing.com.au/) as well
Jim Carroll is also another to check. Home (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/)

brainstrust
21st December 2019, 07:32 PM
found one on mcjing, thanks :2tsup: