PDA

View Full Version : Canne TOAD Skin

darley
25th October 2005, 08:56 PM
Well I would be interested to know a source or some one doing cane Toad skin ( hide ), I would like to make a pen with it, so any person how know a supplier of it I will appreciated the information .

Thank you

Serge

Cliff Rogers
25th October 2005, 10:52 PM
I can round up some toads for you but you'll have to skin them...:D

darley
26th October 2005, 08:51 AM
I can round up some toads for you but you'll have to skin them...:D

:D :D Thanks Cliff but will give a miss, don't want to be sued by RSPCA for animal crualty, but seriously do you know some one up north how tanner some ?

Serge

NewLou
26th October 2005, 10:37 AM
From memory you can get Tanned toad skins sold as purses etc from Nimban Or Batemans Bay ............Not sure which but this narrows things down for you.

Call the local tourist information centres at these places I'm sure they will be able to help you out

REgards lou

Cliff Rogers
26th October 2005, 10:38 AM
There is/was a stall at Cotter's Markets in the Mall in Townsville that sold stuffed toads. You need one of our Townsville members to go & look him up.

Try JackE, I think he's from Townsville.

Wild Dingo
26th October 2005, 11:41 AM
ooooohhh geez I just gotta ask

why the bloody blue blazes would anyone want anything made of these revolting things?? I just fail to see anything good about them :rolleyes: Shark skin croc skin emu whatever fine but cane toad? ugly revolting... surely the skin cant be made to look anything other than what it is repulsive?

ah well each to their own eh ;)

Cheers :cool:

darley
26th October 2005, 12:07 PM
ooooohhh geez I just gotta ask

why the bloody blue blazes would anyone want anything made of these revolting things?? I just fail to see anything good about them :rolleyes: Shark skin croc skin emu whatever fine but cane toad? ugly revolting... surely the skin cant be made to look anything other than what it is repulsive?

ah well each to their own eh ;)

Cheers :cool:

Shane every things is beautiful you just have to learn how to look at it :D

darley
26th October 2005, 12:44 PM
There is/was a stall at Cotter's Markets in the Mall in Townsville that sold stuffed toads. You need one of our Townsville members to go & look him up.

Try JackE, I think he's from Townsville.

Thanks Cliff send an e-mail to him, now another question about Sea Snake skin? I remember when I was in Cairn 84' fishing on the beach you get to many sea snake :eek: not much fish :D, so do you know some one how tanner the Sea snake skin too ?

Thanks

Serge

Cliff Rogers
26th October 2005, 02:38 PM
Nope. Given that it was more than 20years ago, I'd bet that they are protected now. :rolleyes:

Zed
26th October 2005, 02:39 PM
wait till bitingmidge, ozwinner and grunt see this thread.... :D

darley
26th October 2005, 02:46 PM
Nope. Given that it was more than 20years ago, I'd bet that they are protected now. :rolleyes:

Well look like every thing is protected in OZ land beside our trees who are chop down for chips and send to Japan for they paper :eek: do you know that the most forested country in the world is Japan, they don't chop theyr but chop our trees LOL

Serge

darley
26th October 2005, 02:48 PM

Don't get it :confused: do they have cane toad skin?

Serge

Waldo
26th October 2005, 03:21 PM
G'day Darely,

The source is easy

a. grab a golf club or cricket bat or knock em on the head (remembder the time I used a pitch fork and the bugger still kicked even though it was sticking through his head).

or

b. jump in your car and run over a few and flatten them. Hence the term to hit the frog and the toad.

One problem with being in Vic now is no cane toads to kill, more fun for you but.

darley
26th October 2005, 03:25 PM
G'day Darely,

The source is easy

a. grab a golf club or cricket bat or knock em on the head (remembder the time I used a pitch fork and the bugger still kicked even though it was sticking through his head).

or

b. jump in your car and run over a few and flatten them. Hence the term to hit the frog and the toad.

One problem with being in Vic now is no cane toads to kill, more fun for you but.

Funny :D but will pass this, last year a golfer been sue by RSPCA for hitting a cane toad, result ........................$ 70.000 fine :eek:

Waldo
26th October 2005, 03:32 PM
G'day Darely,

What a joke! So they've taken away a state past time.

Now and then you see a doco about scientists out in the field counting numbers of toads to work out the population and ways to eradicate them and I've wondered if after filming them some guy kills them off. Obviously not - no they probably just pat them and say what a lovely animal.

Same too with feral cats etc. I suppose now. Bunch of animal rights boofheads. PC rubbish. They're a noxious pest, just kill some rip his skin off and off you go.

Do they still have the $6 a kilo of toad bounty now and then? Only problem was you had to freeze them.

Wood Borer
26th October 2005, 04:08 PM

That would make FOUR of you. ;)

Zed
26th October 2005, 04:28 PM
well they have bounties for foxes in mexico. why cant they reinitiate bounties for all feral animals? it would give the unemployed something productive to do, get them some exercise and provide them with entertainment not to mention reduce the populations of these scumful animals.

I would love to see (me personal pet hate) a bounty on friggen indian mynah birds - i'd make enough to by a farking felder AND a HAMMER.

bdar
26th October 2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Serge,

Don't know if this will help but there is a company in Victoria called Ozotic Leather. Their site is www.ozoticleather.com (http://www.ozoticleather.com) they do croc, ostrich and cane toads. Hope this is of some help. Going to do some PR casting? Good luck with your search.

Darren

darley
26th October 2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Serge,

Don't know if this will help but there is a company in Victoria called Ozotic Leather. Their site is www.ozoticleather.com (http://www.ozoticleather.com) they do croc, ostrich and cane toads. Hope this is of some help. Going to do some PR casting? Good luck with your search.

Darren

Thanks Darren will contact them, yes want to try some in PR, done all ready Barramudi and imported farm snake skin turn out realy good, may see you to the show, sorry didn't get back to you sooner got to many iron in my plate.

Thanks

Serge

ozwinner
26th October 2005, 10:43 PM
I put a dent in the ferral cat population last week.

Man this thing was big, biggest cat I ever seen.
But it has gone to cat heaven.
I wrestled with it for 3 hours, it was me or him.
Scratching and pssing,............... you should have seen what the cat did.

Al :D

darley
26th October 2005, 11:02 PM
I put a dent in the ferral cat population last week.

Man this thing was big, biggest cat I ever seen.
But it has gone to cat heaven.
I wrestled with it for 3 hours, it was me or him.
Scratching and pssing,............... you should have seen what the cat did.

Al :D

Sorry Al dodn't want cat skin to hairy for my pen making :D plus won't go with PR

Serge

womble
27th October 2005, 12:57 PM
G'day Darely,

The source is easy

or

not in vic now but soon will be... :D

dai sensei
27th October 2005, 08:55 PM
You've really got me interested Serge.

May I ask how do you make a pen with a skin. Do you glue the skin on the sleeve or turned timber, and how do you hide the join? Do you then coat them in resin, CA or wax? Any pic's?

Cheers

oges
28th October 2005, 10:08 AM
Funny :D but will pass this, last year a golfer been sue by RSPCA for hitting a cane toad, result ........................$ 70.000 fine :eek:
Strange how an 'animal' with a status of a pest gets to have cruelty rights

barryr
28th October 2005, 11:24 AM
there was some snake skin pen blanks on Ebay the other day but unfortunately I can't find em again .

actually , here they are !

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SnakeSkinz-Pen-Blanks-Rattlesnake-Python-Baron-Jr-Gent_W0QQitemZ8227701415QQcategoryZ71234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

look pretty cool

AlexS
30th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Birdsall leather have tanned cane toad skins.
http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/

darley
30th October 2005, 09:58 PM
there was some snake skin pen blanks on Ebay the other day but unfortunately I can't find em again .

actually , here they are !

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SnakeSkinz-Pen-Blanks-Rattlesnake-Python-Baron-Jr-Gent_W0QQitemZ8227701415QQcategoryZ71234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

look pretty cool

Thanks I know the people, but can get the blanks for US$ 17.50 the pair in Baron or other pen kits, prefer to buy the snake skin and do my own blanks is more economical

darley
30th October 2005, 10:01 PM
Birdsall leather have tanned cane toad skins.
http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/

Thanks Alex I contact them yesterday and waiting for a reply

darley
30th October 2005, 10:16 PM
Strange how an 'animal' with a status of a pest gets to have cruelty rights
Well I suposed we let the law go throught the goverment to protect all animal againts crualty :eek: :D , an example "" so I you slauted 1 of your chicken for your Sunday roast and your neibourgh deosdn't like the way you kill your choock he may report you for crualty "" :eek: how that!

Felder
31st October 2005, 10:26 AM
I would love to see (me personal pet hate) a bounty on friggen indian mynah birds - i'd make enough to by a farking felder AND a HAMMER.[/QUOTE]

Zed,
I hate those bloody birds too. I was watching them on the weekend terrorising some Rainbow Lorrikeets in my back yard.:mad:
I'll make you a deal - bring me enough dead mynah birds and we can call it a deposit on a Felder / Hammer!:D

Waldo
31st October 2005, 11:20 AM
G'day,

Don't talk to me about Indian Mynah birds! :mad:

The old goat next door feeds them about 4:30 every day and easily a 100+ fly in. If it was legal I get my target air riffle and pick them off one by one.

And cats! :mad:

Thankfully we have a lemon tree that has tonnes on it and I always have a lemon of a good size just outside to peg at the cat. A cat sees me it runs like hell, I cop flack from SWMBO but we've planted good flowering natives around the place to bring in the birds, not to attract the cats or mynahs.

At least in Brisbane you can ring the council and get a few traps, when you've got some they come and take them away. (mynah birds that is - wish it were the same for cats)

In the words of Ted Bullpit, "Someone should flamin' well shoot 'em!"

biotechy2k
1st November 2005, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=darley]Well I would be interested to know a source or some one doing cane Toad skin ( hide ), I would like to make a pen with it, so any person how know a supplier of it I will appreciated the information .

Hi Serge
you can try Packer Tannery up at Nerangba just a little North of Brisbane or
Crispins Leather craft shop they sell cane toad tanned heads to cover belt buckles LOL
or you can try Mack Lace in East Brisbane if you need any of the numbers just get back to me
Hope this helps
Cheers Lou

darley
1st November 2005, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=darley]Well I would be interested to know a source or some one doing cane Toad skin ( hide ), I would like to make a pen with it, so any person how know a supplier of it I will appreciated the information .

Hi Serge
you can try Packer Tannery up at Nerangba just a little North of Brisbane or
Crispins Leather craft shop they sell cane toad tanned heads to cover belt buckles LOL
or you can try Mack Lace in East Brisbane if you need any of the numbers just get back to me
Hope this helps
Cheers Lou

Thanks Lou PM send

Zed
1st November 2005, 09:34 PM
I would love to see (me personal pet hate) a bounty on friggen indian mynah birds - i'd make enough to by a farking felder AND a HAMMER.

Zed,
I hate those bloody birds too. I was watching them on the weekend terrorising some Rainbow Lorrikeets in my back yard.:mad:
I'll make you a deal - bring me enough dead mynah birds and we can call it a deposit on a Felder / Hammer!:D[/QUOTE]

I was in youtr shop last monday felder, you remember me ? the bloke who left his camera on the machine and had to go back to get it... - asking about the hammer slidng table with me mate alexs. nice boxes you have there... I either need a bigger garage or a smaller hammer....

how many bids is enough and how much deposit is it ?

darley
1st November 2005, 09:57 PM
Zed,
I'll make you a deal - bring me enough dead mynah birds and we can call it a deposit on a Felder / Hammer!:D

I was in youtr shop last monday felder, you remember me ? the bloke who left his camera on the machine and had to go back to get it... - asking about the hammer slidng table with me mate alexs. nice boxes you have there... I either need a bigger garage or a smaller hammer....

how many bids is enough and how much deposit is it ?[/QUOTE]

OK you 2 ( fedder and zed ) can you make a pen with those bird?? yes!!... could you show me one ? if not you didn't bring any help at all about my query, how serious are you you 2, I though this woodwork forum was good but I have to re-think because lost of unpleasant people ( like you ) make a post as fun time. Gosh!! you should stay in your shed and mind your business

Waldo
1st November 2005, 10:07 PM
G'day,

Ahh, to heck with it let's just blow the lot of 'em up, toads included. :D

darley
1st November 2005, 10:20 PM
G'day,

Ahh, to heck with it let's just blow the lot of 'em up, toads included. :D

have you done any pens yet ? sure that way you will not learn anythings

rodent
4th November 2005, 02:43 AM
put some food out on the back lawn and play some toad golf when they come for dinner

darley
4th November 2005, 08:47 AM
put some food out on the back lawn and play some toad golf when they come for dinner

No thank you, sure you didn't read the all thread !

Lou Thank you very much I got some cane toad skins, have to finish my prussurechamber, them I will do some PR ( 2 pens for trial )

Thanks again

Serge

Felder
4th November 2005, 09:58 AM

how many bids is enough and how much deposit is it ?

OK you 2 ( fedder and zed ) can you make a pen with those bird?? yes!!... could you show me one ? if not you didn't bring any help at all about my query, how serious are you you 2, I though this woodwork forum was good but I have to re-think because lost of unpleasant people ( like you ) make a post as fun time. Gosh!! you should stay in your shed and mind your business[/QUOTE]

OK Darley.......don't get your knickers in a knot. Now that you have your cane toad skins, surely Zed and I can use this thread to discuss our mutual hate of Mynah's :D
Gee Zed - I didn't think you'd call my bluff on the dead birds......what do you reckon a dead mynah is worth?? Incidentally, the bloke in the shop next to ours will happily sell you a bigger garage to accomodate your Hammer machine......
Now if only we could work out a way to turn a dead bird into a pen to keep Darley at bay......:)

Waldo
4th November 2005, 10:24 AM
G'day Felder / Zed,

I have the perfect solution to our Mynah bird problems.

The pic of the tank is a M109 Self Propelled howitzer which has a 155mm canon and a range of over 30km with a kill radius of 100m and can make a crater of over 50m with HE shells and that great big thing on the end of the barrel is a silencer! :eek:

Which makes it perfect for setting up in the backyard to kill off those Mynah birds. :D

barryr
4th November 2005, 10:24 AM
very easy to make pens out of Mynah birds , just shove a bic up the backdoor and you instantly have a lovely feather gripped pen !:rolleyes:

Felder
4th November 2005, 10:30 AM
G'day Felder / Zed,

I have the perfect solution to our Mynah bird problems.

The pic of the tank is a M109 Self Propelled howitzer which has a 155mm canon and a range of over 30km with a kill radius of 100m and can make a crater of over 50m with HE shells and that great big thing on the end of the barrel is a silencer! :eek:

Which makes it perfect for setting up in the backyard to kill off those Mynah birds. :D

Wow. That is some serious weaponary. Do you think that silencer could be adapted to fit on the mouth of my mother-in-law??

Waldo
4th November 2005, 10:32 AM
G'day Felder,

Do you want to set her up in the backyard to kill them off, or just to shut her up? :D

Felder
4th November 2005, 10:34 AM
My initial thought was just to shut her up, but I like the way you think.....
Perhaps I could just set her up in the back yard and I can sit back and watch the Mynah's fall from the sky:D:D