PDA

View Full Version : Squid jig hunter and collector

springwater
9th July 2019, 09:25 PM
During my many walks along Victorian beaches over many years I've sadly noticed the increase of plastic on the shores. I've been around long enough to also notice that its been broken down to smaller and smaller pieces, micro pieces. This is probably not news to most people. Fact is I could easily fill a wheelie bin a day with bits smaller than say 2mm everyday, if I had the time. The problem is most evident on the shores of Port Phillip bay where I do most of my walking these days. Believe it or not, some areas that catch most of the drift are so bad that plastic is mixed more or less fifty fifty with sand.

I know that some people regularly take the time to collect what they can, quietly and unheralded. I know one person who fills jars full of micro plastic every week. The problem is immense and most people don't see it, ignore it or don't care.

While walking I've also noticed the prevalence of tangled fishing line, lead sinkers, lures and the subject of this post Squid Jigs. In about a year i've collected 121 of them from the beach and counting. I rarely not find one although I do go to places they'll probably be, the record is eleven in one walk and frequently collect up to five. These things are lethal to a bare foot or paw having a set or two or three circular rows of needle sharp hooks. Thankfully the hooks are not barbed but still would cause a nasty injury.

I decided to house them within a frame and at the time I was heading towards ninety six so that became the number of compartments I planned for. As it's turning out I'm on course to accommodate another ninety six especially now that I know where to find them so this could turn into a three panel screen.

So here's some of beginnings of the build, made from white washed Radiate Pine, half lapped (saddle?) jointed together with the ends tenoned into a moticed perimeter.

NCArcher
9th July 2019, 09:39 PM
Looking forward to seeing this one Springy. Those jigs will look great.

springwater
11th July 2019, 09:12 PM

Looking forward to seeing this one Springy. Those jigs will look great.

Thank you. It seems my eyes are now quite well trained to see them amongst all the suburban flotsam, jetsam and seaweed. Sometimes I think they're trying to find me. Some are obviously new but others have been in the sea for God knows how long, perhaps been washed up before then taken back in for another tumble. Others have been in the water long enough for barnacles and other crustaceans to form on them.

springwater
14th July 2019, 08:16 PM
Well, I wouldn't want to be out in Bass Straight tonight! A fairly cold Antarctic blast for Victoria this weekend usually means many Squid jigs and plastic paraphernalia ends up washed up on our shores. I was able to get a relatively short walk in the late afternoon today and only found one Squid jig. I probably missed a few as the light was disappearing. You'll notice the lead ballast is missing from this one and typically shows its wear and tear. I plan to head to known squid jig snags during the week. I also collect soy sauce containers in the form of plastic fish. I find more of their red screw tops than bodies.

I also found time in the shed to rebate all the beading in waiting for the windows to be put in place.

springwater
20th July 2019, 03:52 PM

I wasn't expecting much on this mornings' walk because of the offshore wind and only had two in the bag until on the way back I was surprised and delighted to get another eight. So ten in the bag, close to a world record bag which I claim at eleven :rolleyes: It often goes like that, I don't find many one way only to find heaps the other, must be the way the light is falling or something. Find of the day was when I caught a flash of iridescent blue amongst the amber seaweed, it turned out to be an eye of a squidgy jig.

springwater
23rd July 2019, 11:07 PM
Some late nights and early mornings lately rushing to get a birthday prezzie done before the actual birthday celebration for a change :rolleyes: It was nice to get away from the squid jig case for a while.

.7mm and .5mm galvanised wire wrapped in jute string then painted with gesso, dyed wool and acrylic paint.

woodPixel
24th July 2019, 12:54 AM
What a catastrophe.

I'd imagine these cursed things have been eaten by 100 animals, then died, then its off to the next to inflict its torture.

We dont deserve this planet.

springwater
26th July 2019, 08:22 PM
What a catastrophe.

I'd imagine these cursed things have been eaten by 100 animals, then died, then its off to the next to inflict its torture.

Agreed, they are ghastly things. We don't hear the screams from the pain they inflict unless we step on a beached one that is. I think though, with the advent of the myriad of artificial lures these days, at least they may to some degree relieve the over fishing of live bait.

We dont deserve this planet.

Apparently Mars is up for grabs :oo:

Chief Tiff
27th July 2019, 07:14 AM
.7mm and .5mm galvanised wire wrapped in jute string then painted with gesso, dyed wool and acrylic paint.

What’s the target species for this type of lure?

springwater
27th July 2019, 06:42 PM
What’s the target species for this type of lure?

:rolleyes: Young Homo Sapien female offspring

springwater
27th July 2019, 06:49 PM
A short early morning walk resulted in just one squiddy and various other paraphernalia

springwater
27th July 2019, 06:57 PM
Then finally got around to wedging in the legs of a coffee table present

springwater
28th July 2019, 01:41 PM
Todays' catch a tangled duo

springwater
1st August 2019, 09:00 PM
Gotouta work early so took advantage of the tide being mostly out and went to a known squid jig haunt close by home. I've had quite a bit of success at the place but lately I've been disappointed by not finding any but at least I get a bit of exercise as there's a couple of tricky rock hops and a creek to negotiate, not to mention getting down and up the cliff. I was happy to find one by the turn back but passed a spot where I'd previously seen a flash of colour under water, too deep and rough to get to at the time. This time I saw what I had seen previously was in knee deep water so the boots and socks came off and to my surprise the squiddy was snagged on an old rope which when pulled up had another five attached to it, yahoo! They're all a bit decrepit, who knows how many tides and storms they've endured and I suppose, given time, that old rope will snag a few more.

springwater
4th August 2019, 09:03 PM
I spent a little time yesterday preparing to install the windows which I was going to do today but thought last night that it was better to do the outer frame while the inner frame was open. This allowed me to glue, clamp and screw the outer frame to the inner frame more surely. Luckily Bunnings had heaps of 19 x 89mm pine stock as I had to go through half of it to find three fairly straight and true quarter sawn 2.4s I could work with. While the inner frame is fairly strong, its only made from 12 x 42mm pine, it's the outer frame that'll make the whole thing more rigid. I came up with a finger/mitre joint combination to join the corners as it definitely needs strength especially on the bottom of the frame. The reason for this will become more evident in time.

springwater
5th August 2019, 06:37 PM
Ok I had a half day shed time today thanks to an RDO, gotta love RDOs! I managed to get most of the outer frame joined and fixed with the last bit waiting for the windows to go in. Really happy with the corner joint, I even got glue squeeze out on the mitres, you got to be happy when that happens :B Just need to clean up the joints with a block plane and everything will be tickety boo :2tsup:

springwater
5th August 2019, 06:53 PM
I also had time to walk my beloved dog along a beach world renowned for beached squid jigs. I thought I was in for a world record bag when I found a triple hanging in a bush shortly after stepping on the beach. It seems that some people also find squid jigs but think it best to hang them in places off the beach like bushes and fences, which make easy picking for me, God bless their souls :) I found another five along the way so with eight in the bag I thought I'd pick up some on the way back for sure and perhaps breaking the world record bag in a canter. Sadly not to be, no more were found and the record still stands at eleven :rolleyes:

springwater
5th August 2019, 07:00 PM
And to top it all off I finished off the coffee table for my daughter who dressed it with Daphne, nice, lovely :wink:

springwater
11th August 2019, 07:50 PM
It's all a bit tedious at the moment. I managed to get 72 windows installed without too much drama. It's moments like these you need little musical help to get through the monotony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0gq8DF2-0

springwater
14th August 2019, 09:10 PM
About eight months of washed up fishing line collection:

An interesting situation along the coast:

springwater
17th August 2019, 09:15 PM
A seven squid jig walk this morning then finished the windows on one side in the arvo.

Came across this video message by chance tonight, please take the time to look and listen (just click the pic and the movie will start)

or visit: Tolarno Station - Home | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/TolarnoStation/)

https://www.facebook.com/dan.mackenzie.37/videos/10211670489156233/

springwater
18th August 2019, 07:29 PM
One of those days when it seems I spent a lot of time without much to show for it :whatonearth: Took a pic with the light fading, it'll look better when it's standing with some light behind it...I hope :rolleyes:

springwater
26th August 2019, 10:49 PM
I'm not real happy with it but at least I found out birds are difficult to do and with more practise (lots) I may be able to make one that looks less wooden :rolleyes: Huon Pine painted with oil paint, legs/feet are five strands of .5mm tie wire wrapped in epoxy soaked jute string and painted with acrylic. Still have to work on the eyes, a few touch ups and a Damar varnish finish coat.

springwater
27th August 2019, 09:52 PM
The bird will perch somewhere on this ladder I built for it. "Tea Tree" with outer base coat of a couple of coats of gesso then "fat over lean" method of oil painting starting with Cadmium Red layers then Alizarin Crimson layers over the top then Damar varnish finish coats. Inner sanded to 400 grit then Carnauba/Beeswax rubbed in with fine steel wool and buffed.

Take a look at my expansive shed, I have to walk sideways to get out :rolleyes: :D :2tsup:

springwater
1st September 2019, 08:46 PM
After so long working on it horizontally finally a quick look at the way it'll stand before laying it down again ready for the bottom plate and stand to be fixed on.

Acco
1st September 2019, 10:46 PM
Looking good Craig :2tsup:

springwater
2nd September 2019, 06:56 PM
Looking good Craig :2tsup:

Thanks DJ, good to hear from you, you going all right? Yeah probably:2tsup:

springwater
2nd September 2019, 07:14 PM
Im making a birthday box for my wife who currently stores her water colours and brushes etc in a shoe box. I thought Western Red Cedar a good choice of timber, that was before trying to chop mortices into it. Believe me, my chisels are razor sharp but couldn't get a crisp cornered mortice. Also it's so soft I found it very difficult to keep on the mark without it being shifted by the force of the chisel. Anyway I persevered through 24 mortices measuring 10 x 5 x 10 mm. Forgot to take a pic, some embarrassing ones to come :-

springwater
15th September 2019, 08:50 PM
Bailed out of the box build because I knew I wasn't going to get it done in time but will return to it once I have the time to continue. So I smashed :rolleyes: out a stool/table out of white oak and a little tree out of the usual stuff.

springwater
23rd September 2019, 09:22 PM
So with the deadline looming for the squid jig thing I thought I'd quickly knock together a much needed table for our other daughter. It'll be a table with no airs and graces, absolutely utilitarian, made from repurposed "Vic Ash":

springwater
27th September 2019, 09:30 PM
I got most of the undercarriage done before submitting to the night. It has to be finished tomorrow! :o

springwater
30th September 2019, 07:45 PM
Hooray and up she rises:

springwater
1st November 2019, 08:29 PM
Well, the exhibition finished last weekend and from all reports the squid jig case got some good responses. it was really only partly finished and all I could manage to do before installation date. I plan to do another one, maybe two and hinge them together to form a zig zag screen. The base of the one I exhibited is only temporary.

springwater
4th November 2019, 08:17 PM
oh yeah, I called it Buy Now, Pay Later

fenderbelly
9th November 2019, 09:08 PM
where I live the divers often find them under the jetty and close by and then they bring them onto
the jetty and sell them for a dollar each

springwater
10th November 2019, 08:46 PM
where I live the divers often find them under the jetty and close by and then they bring them onto
the jetty and sell them for a dollar each

I just wait until they find their way to the beach like the 200 odd found in about a year worth of looking. I need another 100 or so then I'll hang up the collection bag I suppose?

springwater
4th January 2020, 08:04 PM
Considering the amount of Squid Jigs I've found beached in the last few months or so I've decided at my peril to make another two cases to go withe the one already made. The aim is to hinge them together to form a screen. I have most of the material ready for marking out and the windows will follow later when I've saved some pocket money. I aim to have it done by September as there's some other stuff I need to in the mean time.

There's 96 in there

and 44 in here

springwater
4th January 2020, 08:31 PM
Ok, now back in this thread I mentioned a box I was making for my better half. This is to replace various shoe boxes that hose her water colour paints. Well, I'm back on it although I reckon it's riding me. I'm just not used to working in tight corners and has lead to a new appreciation for all the box makers out there. This has tested my patience no end. With a golf club chucking brother I suppose losing the bananas runs in the family but I've managed to keep thing civil for now, JUST! I had it looking pretty nice at one stage then dropped it on a concrete floor late in the day...it's made of Western Red Cedar...you know they rest. Anyway I recovered it only to drop it once more:doh::doh:
So here' the main part of the box for show. I'm working on the innards at the moment with the top and tray hopefully resting safely out of harms way on my other bench. Main body is finger joined with a mitre top and bottom with rebated bottom panel. Inner sleave painted with acrylic paints and acrylic varnish. Inner inner sleave (not yet completed) will house the dividing panels and like all other exposed WRS will be tung oiled. Oh and the lip of the box is painted in acrylic gold over another gold and dark green then varnished. Actually I can't remember how many coats the lip has had, plus putty as guess where it landed :doh:

466508 466506

Chief Tiff
4th January 2020, 09:18 PM
3 cases that are hinged together? Could you make it into a triptych?

springwater
5th January 2020, 08:45 AM
3 cases that are hinged together? Could you make it into a triptych?

Yep, that's the plan...Squidtych? :B

springwater
5th January 2020, 09:12 PM
Just a little time today to finish the construction of the bottom of the box. Even managed not to drop it this time :-

springwater
6th January 2020, 10:08 PM
A bit more deco on the outside, it's gotta be pretty, right?

springwater
8th January 2020, 07:50 PM
Just a little work on the inside of the lid today.

springwater
9th January 2020, 08:47 PM
...and a little work on the outside plus added some bracing to the brush holders.

springwater
12th January 2020, 08:57 PM

Bernmc
13th January 2020, 08:00 AM
Don't know how I've missed this thread until now. Spectacular. SWTSMBO is a recycling nazi - this will make her ovaries revolve with delight.

springwater
19th January 2020, 08:18 PM

Just a sign post pic of parts two and threes' beginning. From now on, except close to the end, it's all monotonous. You've seen a bit of the build of part one anyway so you get the picture.

springwater
27th January 2020, 04:58 PM
Finally the paint box is finished with one happy recipient. I've had enough of boxes now, I don't think it's my thing but really happy to make one for someone who needed it.