PDA

View Full Version : Hafco Lathe - Problems with chuck spinning off when stopping lathe

doragus
21st July 2019, 08:44 PM
Hi Guys
Dumb question but how do I prevent my chuck spinning off when I stop or reverse the lathe. The Hafco WL-14V lathe is a bit unusual in that it comes to a sharp stop when the stop button is pressed. Heavier work pieces have a tendency to keep spinning with inevitable results. There doesnt appear to be any obvious way to secure the chuck (or, in my case, the chuck insert) to the spindle. My only solution at the moment is to slow the lathe right down before stopping and then hold the workpiece if I can. Very tedious. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Chris

Paul39
22nd July 2019, 05:51 AM
Some variable speed lathes can be programmed to brake, or coast down, or ramp down to stop when stop is pressed. Check to see if yours can be changed to coast down. In the photo of a Hafco WL-14 I see a knob, which I assume is the speed control. You may have to turn down to zero before shutting off as a last resort.

You could put some Loctite The Difference Between Red, Blue, Green and Purple Threadlockers - Henkel Adhesive Technologies Blog (http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/the-difference-between-red-blue-green-and-purple-threadlockers/) on the threads between the the adapter and chuck if it is only used on this lathe. If you change lathes the Loctite bond is broken by heating.

Carefully clean and lightly oil the threads on the spindle nose and the adapter, mount chuck and grip a 3/4 to 1 inch stick of wood in the chuck sideways with about a foot sticking out toward the top and back of the lathe. Hold the hand wheel on the outboard side of the lathe and give the stick 2 - 3 good whacks with another piece of wood. This will snug up that connection as much as you want.

If you have a stepped pulley in addition to the variable speed, running the belt from the smallest motor step to the biggest spindle step will cause a braking action when shut off. A large blank on the large pulley will want to make the motor spin fast. Friction, mechanical disadvantage, and inertia will cause braking. Moving the belt to one step smaller on the spindle will help. At the same time it will make the lathe work harder to spin up a large heavy blank. "There ain't no free lunch."

doragus
22nd July 2019, 10:48 AM
Thanks Paul. I'm new to the forum and have now done a bit more searching since I posted. There are some other threads on the forum that indicate this is a technical problem with the EVS control on this particular lathe which causes it to stop very abruptly with absolutely no spin down. Scary when you think it also has a reverse which can engage just as abruptly. Apparently the distributor is installing a new motherboard to resolve the issue. Problem is I haven't been contacted by them so I am chasing them today.
I was going to drill and tap for grub screws on the chuck (there is room when I remove the indexing ring) and insert but I'll hold off for now until I run down the motherboard replacement issue.
I'll post an update when Iget to the bottom of this.
Chris

Paul39
22nd July 2019, 11:10 AM
If you drill and tap for a grub screw, put a slug of brass in the bottom to bear on the spindle, or use a brass grub screw.

doragus
22nd July 2019, 11:53 AM
Good advice. Thanks Paul.

doragus
22nd July 2019, 12:04 PM
I emailed Hare & Forbes about this last night and got a response this morning - very quick!. They will replace the circuit board on Friday. Wonder what would have happened if I hadn't chased them? I would never have known about this if I hadn't got onto this forum so thanks to all those who posted on the issue.
Chris

Mobyturns
22nd July 2019, 10:08 PM
I believe H&F should be made to recall the lathes and forced to contact owners. Same for any "clone" versions using the same EVS board. To their credit they appear to be the right thing by affected customers. I sincerely hope no turners suffer any injuries due to the faulty board.

doragus
22nd July 2019, 10:22 PM
Yes Moby. They were very quick to react when I contacted them. Lightening speed - I emailed Sunday night and had a response by 10:00am Monday saying they would update the board. I had asked fhem about the dead stop back in December last year and they told me it was normal for this lathe. Obviously they have had Hafco working on the problem since then. I sense that this might be a sensative issue for them because of the safety issues involved. The point is I only found out about the update from this forum, not from H&F, and you have to wonder what will happen with all the others who have purchased the lathe.
Chris

Fumbler
23rd July 2019, 03:07 AM
Chris, I too brought this to their attention and actually went in to the shop and showed them a video, including sound. They said, yes were in the process of contacting people, but I guess there's a lot out there that haven't been contacted. I would've thought the priority for H&F would be to minimise risk, I guess not. My thread about a small burl block coming off the lathe, including the chuck certainly caught their attention. I had a catch and the whole thing wobbled and unwound whilst in motion (hard to believe I know) and hit the bed, then rolled on to the floor and circled around behind me. My cousin from England was with me and I was making her a little something to take home. she came running into the shed, when I yelled an expletive, and said "well, that ain't supposed to happen".......

Anyhow, I took it back and the replaced it and pointe out the new way it should operate and I haven't had an issue since.

Mobyturns
23rd July 2019, 09:05 AM
Chris, I too brought this to their attention and actually went in to the shop and showed them a video, including sound. They said, yes were in the process of contacting people, but I guess there's a lot out there that haven't been contacted. I would've thought the priority for H&F would be to minimise risk, I guess not. My thread about a small burl block coming off the lathe, including the chuck certainly caught their attention. I had a catch and the whole thing wobbled and unwound whilst in motion (hard to believe I know) and hit the bed, then rolled on to the floor and circled around behind me. My cousin from England was with me and I was making her a little something to take home. she came running into the shed, when I yelled an expletive, and said "well, that ain't supposed to happen".......

Anyhow, I took it back and the replaced it and pointe out the new way it should operate and I haven't had an issue since.

A few disgruntled owners contacting the Office of Fair Trading in each state about the potential of this defect to cause serious harm to users will expedite their efforts on a recall.

doragus
23rd July 2019, 11:28 AM
A few disgruntled owners contacting the Office of Fair Trading in each state about the potential of this defect to cause serious harm to users will expedite their efforts on a recall.
I have had two bowls spin off because I forgot this problem Too dumb to learn from my mistakes. In both cases there was no catch just stopping the lathe from around 1500rpm. Still had the tool rest up for one so just a bit of rim damage. The other missed everything as it went for a run around the garage.
What really annoys me is that I raised the problem with H&F as soon as I started to use the lathe back in December and, other than indicating the lathe was operating normally, I heard nothing from them until I initiated contact this week.
I must emphasise again that I only found out about the upgrade from this forum so, unless other owners are watching on here, they are unlikely to know about the fix. Looking at the Hafco lathe range from H&F it seems there may be other models that have the same issue.
Chris

- - - Updated - - -

I have had two bowls spin off because I forgot this problem Too dumb to learn from my mistakes. In both cases there was no catch just stopping the lathe from around 1500rpm. Still had the tool rest up for one so just a bit of rim damage. The other missed everything as it went for a run around the garage.
What really annoys me is that I raised the problem with H&F as soon as I started to use the lathe back in December and, other than indicating the lathe was operating normally, I heard nothing from them until I initiated contact this week.
I must emphasise again that I only found out about the upgrade from this forum so, unless other owners are watching on here, they are unlikely to know about the fix. Looking at the Hafco lathe range from H&F it seems there may be other models that have the same issue.
Chris

Redbeard
23rd July 2019, 01:52 PM
Will recently bought lathes have the updated system? I can't say I've noticed abrupt stopping but I've only been doing smaller things so far.

doragus
23rd July 2019, 03:17 PM
Will recently bought lathes have the updated system? I can't say I've noticed abrupt stopping but I've only been doing smaller things so far.
Hi Redbeard. When did you get your lathe? I got mine December last year and it has the problem. I think I read somewhere on this forum that the lathes being supplied now already have the update. If your work keeps spinning down after you push the stop button you probably already have the fix. If it stops dead you probably haven't.
Chris

Redbeard
23rd July 2019, 05:14 PM
Hi Redbeard. When did you get your lathe? I got mine December last year and it has the problem. I think I read somewhere on this forum that the lathes being supplied now already have the update. If your work keeps spinning down after you push the stop button you probably already have the fix. If it stops dead you probably haven't.
ChrisOnly picked it up new last week. I think it's running pretty smooth, I'll give it a careful workout this weekend. Fingers crossed.

doragus
23rd July 2019, 05:52 PM
Only picked it up new last week. I think it's running pretty smooth, I'll give it a careful workout this weekend. Fingers crossed.
Should be OK if it's that new. Good luck.

Fumbler
23rd July 2019, 06:59 PM
Gents, if anyone wants a video of pre-fix action Send me a PM with private email details and I’ll send it through. If yours does the same then it hasn’t been upgraded. If, when it’s turned off, it slows down then slowly comes to a stop then it’s got the upgrade.

doragus
25th July 2019, 10:09 PM
H&F Tech came today and I now have a much improved and very much safer Hafco WL-14V. Somewhat complicated new system to get it between forward and reverse but so much safer now. The lathe can't go into reverse unless it is completely stopped and it is impossible to have it change direction by accident. The lathe now gently spins down to a stop and I may not need anything to secure the chuck or insert. I'll see how I go in the coming weeks. Took the guy a couple of hours and changed out of virtually the whole EVS control system.

Redbeard
25th July 2019, 10:22 PM
H&F Tech came today and I now have a much improved and very much safer Hafco WL-14V. Somewhat complicated new system to get it between forward and reverse but so much safer now. The lathe can't go into reverse unless it is completely stopped and it is impossible to have it change direction by accident. The lathe now gently spins down to a stop and I may not need anything to secure the chuck or insert. I'll see how I go in the coming weeks. Took the guy a couple of hours and changed out of virtually the whole EVS control system.Somewhat complicated? On my two week old unit you just hold the direction change button down until the lathe stops and changes direction. If you're turning fast you need to slow down a bit first but that's it.

doragus
25th July 2019, 10:30 PM
That's how the lathe was before the fix. The real issue was that it stopped dead when you pusheed the off button. No slow down, just STOP! That is what was causing work to spin off the lathe and that is the dangerous bit that H&F had to address. It's possible your lathe doesn't have the update control system. Does it stop dead when you push the stop button? if so you will find it is a problem as you mount heavier work and you should get in touch with H&F about the update.

Redbeard
25th July 2019, 10:57 PM
Doragus

I don't believe my lathe is stopping instantly, either when hitting the off switch or the reverse button but i have only done a couple of middle sized pieces (at least that's how they started, my pieces always seem to end up much smaller than they started...). I shall investigate this weekend.

It has been suggested recently sold units would allready have the fix. Mine did come with an addenda to the instructions specifically talking about not changing directionswhile running at high speed.

Cheers
Redbeard

Paul39
26th July 2019, 02:15 AM
H&F Tech came today and I now have a much improved and very much safer Hafco WL-14V. Somewhat complicated new system to get it between forward and reverse but so much safer now. The lathe can't go into reverse unless it is completely stopped and it is impossible to have it change direction by accident. The lathe now gently spins down to a stop and I may not need anything to secure the chuck or insert. I'll see how I go in the coming weeks. Took the guy a couple of hours and changed out of virtually the whole EVS control system.

Good, may it continue to work like that. If you have not done so, cleaning the threads and mating surfaces, and lightly oiling, then snugging up tight as I advised above would be good. The snugging to be a bit more sure about the chuck not unwinding, and the cleaning and oiling to make everything run true and so you can get the chuck off a year from now.

It is good to remove, clean, and oil chuck, faceplate, drive and tail centers once or twice a year to keep them from getting stuck. There are quite a few tales of woe here about stuck chucks and centers.