PDA

View Full Version : Vase

Dalboy
25th July 2019, 04:46 AM
While I am working on this piece for our club competition I thought that while the paints are drying I would make a vase. I will post pictures once all the painting has been completed

Not really sure what name to give this. Anyway just finished this vase which stands 9" tall the bottom is maple and covered with chemically treated brass sheets and the top I believe is Laburnum.
It did start out as being a vase but I had ideas for different decoration then I got the brass sheets to add to my it will be ideal for a future project pile I decided when it arrived to go with this instead.

Paul39
25th July 2019, 05:08 AM
Dalboy,

I really like the shape of the vase, I like the color and pattern of the brass, the sharp line between the brass and the dark wood above bothers me. Maybe brass all the way up, or lighter wood above the brass? Are the brass sheets like gold leaf?

Dalboy
25th July 2019, 06:59 AM
Dalboy,

Are the brass sheets like gold leaf?

Thank you for your comments always appriciated. Yes they are like the gold leaf and they are chemically treated to give the appearance they have

tony_A
25th July 2019, 09:10 AM
I agree with Pauls comments above but do appreciate you showing the brass leaf. That is an eye catching effect. One of those cases where your probably not sure what wood is going to work with it until you have used it once or twice.

Tony

crowie
25th July 2019, 10:01 AM
Derek, while the second one is simply elegant, well deserving of praise; for me the craftsmanship & patience of the first one is outstanding, top marks.
I foresee prizes at the upcoming club competition for sure, well done sir.
Cheers Peter

Dalboy
25th July 2019, 10:06 PM
Thank you for all the comments.

Peter I still have more work on the first one and will show it once complete

wheelinround
28th July 2019, 11:19 AM
Derek having been to a weekend with Joey Richardson some yrs ago I can empathise with the peircing having given it a go myself. It takes time & patience. Await the outcome.

The vase is stunning as it is that brass sheet has the WOW factor as though itbis glazed pottery. I like the total look.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Dalboy
28th July 2019, 11:49 AM
Derek having been to a weekend with Joey Richardson some yrs ago I can empathise with the peircing having given it a go myself. It takes time & patience. Await the outcome.

The vase is stunning as it is that brass sheet has the WOW factor as though itbis glazed pottery. I like the total look.

Thank you.

We have the pleasure of Joey Richardson on the 3rd of next month I am looking forward to seeing her demonstrate. I may even get it finished for then

wheelinround
28th July 2019, 12:03 PM
Thank you.

We have the pleasure of Joey Richardson on the 3rd of next month I am looking forward to seeing her demonstrate. I may even get it finished for thenIf she is comin,g out again when and if Paul organises her demo I'll be going again. Enjoy the demo take it along she will like to see it I'm sure.

Dalboy
29th July 2019, 06:46 AM
If she is comin,g out again when and if Paul organises her demo I'll be going again. Enjoy the demo take it along she will like to see it I'm sure.

I am trying to complete it for that meeting, I have been able to get the main background colour on today