PDA

View Full Version : Pepper grinder mechanism recommendation

lewisc
28th July 2019, 10:58 PM
I'm looking at turning a pepper grinder from some blackwood or possibly myrtle - depends on what I can find in my stash.

Does anyone have recommendations on the mechanism? I tried a search but the threads I found were at least 5years old

Carbatec have two styles, one is $28 compared to $13. I'm happy spending the cash if it's better. Or if there are any other brands up for recommendation.

$13 - Ceramic Salt/Pepper Mechanism - 10" | Salt & Pepper Mills - Carbatec (https://www.carbatec.com.au/hardware-and-project-supplies/salt-and-pepper-mills/ceramic-salt-pepper-mill-10-250mm)

$28 - Easigrind Easy fit Salt/Pepper Mill Mechanism | Salt & Pepper Mills - Carbatec (https://www.carbatec.com.au/hardware-and-project-supplies/salt-and-pepper-mills/ceramic-salt-pepper-mill-easigrind-17-425mm)

Acco
28th July 2019, 11:59 PM
I use Crushgrind, available from Carroll’s

CWS Store - Crushgrind 260mm Ceramic Pepper Mill (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/crushgrind-260-ceramic-pepper-mill)

bruceward51
29th July 2019, 10:20 AM
I think the Easygrind is a knock-off version of the Crushgrind and I think I saw that they are a copy of an older style, meaning that the current Crushgrind would be more expensive, but probably more advanced.

As far as recommendations go, I have not used the Carbatec products. You can get basic peper grinder kits for under $10 from several online providers. If you search for woodturning supplies in Australia you will turn up a few. I have bought from Carrolls (cwsonline.com.au) and Timberbits (timberbits.com.au), but there are others around the country.

The basic mills are usually stainless steel and they are perfectly OK for pepper grinders. Ceramic mills are a bit better and will also stand up to salt. These basic mills ate pretty easy to fit as the components usually fit into recesses in the turning with a couple of small screws. I recently renovated a standard style grinder that has been in constant use for over 30 years - just needed a good clean. These older mechanisms were all European - I have seen France, Italy and Germany. (The cheaper Asian knock-offs might not be as good though)

The Crushgrind style are higher quality mechanisms and the Crushgrind brand comes with an impressive guarantee for longevity. But they are more expensive and in my experience require more skill to turn the body and fit the mechanism. They require an internal recess into which the mechanism locks. The ones I have used are also a larger grinder than the more traditional style.

So my recommendation? I would probably say stick to a traditional style for the first attempt, maybe not with your most precious wood? I would only go down the Crushgrind/Easygrind path if you want a larger grinder or an heirloom piece.

Some of the kits are specific for salt or pepper and come with a 'P' or 'S' on the cap. I think the ceramic mechanisms from Timberbits may be branded 'S' for salt, so that would be worth checking if you want it for pepper. Also, the sizes of the recesses are kit-specific, so the stainless kit may not fit into the ceramic recesses and vice-versa.

Bruce

dai sensei
29th July 2019, 01:21 PM
I use Crushgrind, available from Carroll’s

CWS Store - Crushgrind 260mm Ceramic Pepper Mill (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/crushgrind-260-ceramic-pepper-mill)

+1, the only ones to use

I think the Easygrind is a knock-off version of the Crushgrind and I think I saw that they are a copy of an older style, meaning that the current Crushgrind would be more expensive, but probably more advanced.

As far as recommendations go, I have not used the Carbatec products. You can get basic peper grinder kits for under $10 from several online providers. If you search for woodturning supplies in Australia you will turn up a few. I have bought from Carrolls (cwsonline.com.au) and Timberbits (timberbits.com.au), but there are others around the country.

The basic mills are usually stainless steel and they are perfectly OK for pepper grinders. Ceramic mills are a bit better and will also stand up to salt. These basic mills ate pretty easy to fit as the components usually fit into recesses in the turning with a couple of small screws. I recently renovated a standard style grinder that has been in constant use for over 30 years - just needed a good clean. These older mechanisms were all European - I have seen France, Italy and Germany. (The cheaper Asian knock-offs might not be as good though)

The Crushgrind style are higher quality mechanisms and the Crushgrind brand comes with an impressive guarantee for longevity. But they are more expensive and in my experience require more skill to turn the body and fit the mechanism. They require an internal recess into which the mechanism locks. The ones I have used are also a larger grinder than the more traditional style.

So my recommendation? I would probably say stick to a traditional style for the first attempt, maybe not with your most precious wood? I would only go down the Crushgrind/Easygrind path if you want a larger grinder or an heirloom piece.

Some of the kits are specific for salt or pepper and come with a 'P' or 'S' on the cap. I think the ceramic mechanisms from Timberbits may be branded 'S' for salt, so that would be worth checking if you want it for pepper. Also, the sizes of the recesses are kit-specific, so the stainless kit may not fit into the ceramic recesses and vice-versa.

Bruce

Actually the Crushgrinds are cheaper than the knock-off's, weird but I think it is more about where they are sold

China
29th July 2019, 02:22 PM
As said above Crushgrind is the way to go "proven quality over many years"

turnerted
29th July 2019, 05:13 PM
TasmanianTurning Supplies have salt and pepper grinders for sale at $5.20 each . Both with ceramic mechanisms .I have'nt tried them but have some on order .
Ted

lewisc
29th July 2019, 07:03 PM
Looks like the Crushgrind is the way to go. I'm happy to go straight for the quality bit. Thanks for that.

tony_A
29th July 2019, 10:01 PM
I am a big fan of crushgrind, as are family and friends I have given pepper grinders to. I ground an old metal file to cut the internal recess, otherwise you can buy a purpose made tool.
Tony

chuck1
1st August 2019, 11:51 PM
Another good ceramic mechanism are the crank handle mini grinders from pops shed, only down side was getting the imperial drill bits.
Crush grind are great too and the woodcut mill is also a time saver

Gop
2nd August 2019, 05:21 PM
Looks like one of these (Robert Sorby Crushgrind Relief Cutting Tool (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/robert-sorby-crushgrind-relief-cutting-tool)) may come in handy for the crushgrind to cut a groove for the clips to slot into. Is their another suggested way to do this or do I need the tool?

bruceward51
3rd August 2019, 09:15 AM
Probably a good idea if you are not into making tools and intend to make a few grinders. There used to be plans available for what in my opinion was a better design but the site has been removed I think. It also had provision for correct spacing of the groove in the lid.

I fiddled led with a tool made from an Allen key but it was less than ideal and getting the groove positioned properly was a problem.

Bruce

Robson Valley
3rd August 2019, 01:31 PM
I collect salts from all over the world. Not just for show, I use them in my kitchen and on my table.

Grinders are OK for peppercorns but I gave up on the lot of them for salt.
Some salts are hygroscopic and bunged up the cutters for a real mess.

So, I found a source of shallow mortar and pestle. I can crush a pinch or more with perfect ease.

dai sensei
10th August 2019, 01:43 PM
Looks like one of these (Robert Sorby Crushgrind Relief Cutting Tool (https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/robert-sorby-crushgrind-relief-cutting-tool)) may come in handy for the crushgrind to cut a groove for the clips to slot into. Is their another suggested way to do this or do I need the tool?

NO, absolute waste of money IMHO. I always epoxy in my mechanisms and never use a recess. I also check the size of the openings and cut off the ribs if necessary, may be fine on softwoods but nothing worse than a fit so tight it splits out Aussie hardwood timbers.

lewisc
18th August 2019, 10:47 PM
NO, absolute waste of money IMHO. I always epoxy in my mechanisms and never use a recess. I also check the size of the openings and cut off the ribs if necessary, may be fine on softwoods but nothing worse than a fit so tight it splits out Aussie hardwood timbers.

Just to be clear, you're suggesting to not buy the recess tool? Is it's purpose to help hold the mechanism in place? I'm happy not to spend $55 on a one or two time use tool.

I've been watching this video and he doesn't use one. Just some epoxy to hold it in. YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQCc5JD0wk&vl=en)

dai sensei
19th August 2019, 12:15 PM
Just to be clear, you're suggesting to not buy the recess tool? Is it's purpose to help hold the mechanism in place? I'm happy not to spend $55 on a one or two time use tool.

I've been watching this video and he doesn't use one. Just some epoxy to hold it in. YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQCc5JD0wk&vl=en)

Yes exactly. I glue mine in and sand off the recess luggs. I even cut off the the small splines/ribs