PDA

View Full Version : Simple way to inkjet print on wood

spendwise
27th October 2005, 02:47 AM
If you need to print on wood, or virtually any other surface that will fit through your inkjet printer, inkAID is the product for you.

I am the Australian distributor of the inkAID products and sample packs are available.

Should you require any further details, please email and I will be in touch.

Regards,
Darren

normell
27th October 2005, 06:55 AM
Sorry, but my inkjet wont take 240 x 19 mm pine

Normell

Wild Dingo
27th October 2005, 09:05 PM
And mine simply refuses to accept the 8in x 1in Jarrah and I had had plans of printing a nice pic or nameplate on the 12in x 3in keel Im building but buggared if I can get that to go through the printer either... whodhadthunkit eh? :rolleyes: :D

ernknot
30th October 2005, 08:00 PM
Darn, and I have been using my fax machine all this time!

Grahame Collins
30th October 2005, 11:21 PM
If you need to get a pattern on your timber, print a sheet in your printer and iron over it.The pattern may need to be reversed first if its non symetrical. eg printing will come out backwards. Yes it has limitations.
Saw it on the net somewhere.

You may begin the smart #### comments below.
At least I did not try to sell ya somthin!

Grahame

Iain
31st October 2005, 07:30 AM
I saw that too and thought it was only applicable to photocopiers, toner not ink.
I haven't tried it with a printer.

echnidna
31st October 2005, 09:16 AM
It doesn't work with inkjet prints. (Itried)

inferno6688
31st October 2005, 10:16 AM
thats correct. that method only works if its been printed on a laser printer/copier

ptc
31st October 2005, 11:10 AM
Glue it on and sand it off.

barnsey
31st October 2005, 12:28 PM
Whale Oil Beef Hooked (say it with a Scots accent)

I'm flat out gettin a piece of A4 through me printer :eek:

Yes I have tried transfers and plans on thin/see-through paper but find the dimensional detail gets distorted - NBG

Just as well I have the ability to see the perspectives in real life and work to them. Mind you a thicknesser would be handy but I make do with the jointer and the table/band sawes. :p

Rubber.Piggy
3rd November 2005, 10:30 AM
Glue it on and sand it off.

Exactly. I find a good glue for this is a sprary contact adhesive because it doesn't get the paper wet and make it crinkle.

Why is thie thread on the Festool Forum??

BrisBen
11th December 2005, 03:19 PM
Vutek manufacture a flat bed large format inkjet printer - I have actually seen it print onto chequerboard aluminium

Some specs:

Maximum print size of 1830 wide by 3660 in length and 50mm in thickness, on rigid materials.
Ideal for superior photo quality applications with fine text.
Print directly onto rigid boards avoiding the time consuming and costly process of lamination.
Ability to print directly onto rigid materials including glass, acrylics, stainless steel and textured products up to 50mm in thickness.

There's been one in Brisbane for a year or so - so it aint that new...

tha carpenta
24th December 2005, 07:06 PM
this thread is full of joeks qiute frankly

Gumby
24th December 2005, 07:07 PM
this thread is full of joeks qiute frankly

Only since you and your mentally challenged mate turned up an hour ago.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th December 2005, 03:13 AM
Here's a method I've tried (and had reasonable success with) for both laserjet & bubblejet images printed on plain A3 & A4 paper.

I do a quick one-coat wipe of danish oil or PU, wait for it to dry and then apply a light misting of acetone from one of those disposable household spray bottles, before a quick application (face-down, of course!) of the paper. A light squeegee over the top (I use the side of a cigarette packet) and removal of the paper leaves me with enough marking to work the wood in normal circumstances.

I have found that taking too long or applying too much acetone is detrimental to the end result.

Then again, I've had equal success by simply printing the template to paper and gluing the paper (printed side up) with PVA directly to the wood, but as this requires more finishing (soak & scrape) I only do it with intricate templates where the first method isn't sufficient. [shrug]

As yet I haven't found the need to use "special" xfer papers for any job I've done. Even T-shirt printing is possible w/out these papers provided you know a few tricks and are using suitable inks. ;)

Stuart
14th January 2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I couldn't resist.

I've been putting wood through my printer for years. Granted, there is a bit of prep work that needs to be done to the wood beforehand:

take piece of nice wood, and grind it up
add water and binding agent, and produce a sodden mash
spread out over a board so it has a uniform density, and use a second board to press it together, extruding most of the moisture
allow to dry
cut to fit the printer (A4), and Bob's your Uncle (wel he may be yours, as I don't have an Uncle Bob)

Some wise guy has cottoned onto this, and you can buy prepared wood like this already- comes in reams of 500 sheets........

luke '74
2nd February 2006, 05:25 PM
do you know how to contact whomever has this machine?

kiwigeo
3rd February 2006, 08:22 AM
Interesting to note that ink jet technology was originally developed to print dates on eggs.

chrisb691
7th February 2006, 09:46 AM
As yet I haven't found the need to use "special" xfer papers for any job I've done. Even T-shirt printing is possible w/out these papers provided you know a few tricks and are using suitable inks. ;)

Just tried a t-shirt, and am having a sod of a time getting it out of the printer. :D

doug the slug
7th February 2006, 11:41 AM
Just tried a t-shirt, and am having a sod of a time getting it out of the printer. :D

then you didnt fold the t-shirt right. it worked ok for mehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th February 2006, 04:40 PM
The T-shirt printed fine here, but methinks I should've taken it off the li'l 'un first. :p

ozrider47
16th April 2007, 12:26 PM
If you need to print on wood, or virtually any other surface that will fit through your inkjet printer, inkAID is the product for you.

I am the Australian distributor of the inkAID products and sample packs are available.

Should you require any further details, please email and I will be in touch.

Regards,
Darren

ozrider47
16th April 2007, 12:28 PM
please advise price and delivery of inkaid products to sydney

or call me on 0416178642 so we can discuss usages

regards

ian slattery

joe greiner
16th April 2007, 02:14 PM
Spendwise has never posted anything beyond his original message. (Still says "Posts: 1") Likely won't see your reply. I suggest you send him an e-mail or private message. (Click his username in the left panel for access.)

Joe