PDA

View Full Version : Timber and finish for boat deck

namtrak
27th October 2005, 02:11 PM
A friend has just asked me to do some research on a timber deck for a pontoon.

The pontoon is about 20 foot by 8 foot and he is after a dark hardwood as the floor. He is also interested in what sort of finish he should be using?

Any suggestions

Cheers

Daddles
27th October 2005, 02:37 PM
By pontoon, I'm assuming you just mean one of those floating dock thingies.

Go to your local hardware and buy hardwood decking. Cheap. It's good stuff - it's also what my local TAFE (and I) uses as the hardwood in its boats. It's supposed to be kapur but goodness really knows. As for a finish - any marine varnish or oil. Again, you can get that from your local hardware without spending squillions.

Richard

Auld Bassoon
27th October 2005, 08:58 PM
G'day Namtrack!

Teak would be the ideal, but getting prohibitively expensive now. Old oak, especially european oak would be good too. If the pontoon is more work-toon (!) than pleasure-toon(!!), perhaps a decent grade of marine ply, sealed with oil (not varnish) might do.

As to other hardwoods, will the 'toon be subject to saltwater or very strong sunlight? if so, may I suggest some conventional decking such as red gum - but well sealed with oil...
Cheers!

stevebaby
11th November 2005, 03:43 AM
A friend has just asked me to do some research on a timber deck for a pontoon.

The pontoon is about 20 foot by 8 foot and he is after a dark hardwood as the floor. He is also interested in what sort of finish he should be using?

Any suggestions

CheersI've used brushbox decking from a timber yard for something similar,So far its been out in the sun and spray for about 3 years without any problems(unfinished).Deck olje is a pretty good marine oil,easy to apply(every 6 months or so),just lightly sand ond slap it on.Varnish is a fair bit of work and usually has to be re-applied or touched up every year or so depending on conditions.Looks fantastic though it may be too slippery.
I agree,any house type hardwood decking should be OK.Gal fastenings might be a good idea too.:)