PDA

View Full Version : The Woodturner

TTIT
11th August 2019, 05:03 PM
Never thought I'd be making something like this but there's a first time for everything! Our Club Challenge comp this year had the theme of 'Motion' - I wanted to do a kinetic sculpture but couldn't figure out the drive mechanism while this project was at least achievable! When you Google this stuff you find most of it is made very crudely from household garbage but I figured nobody was going to buy something like this and if it is going to be stuck in my gallery forever I might as well do a good job on it :;
Made good use of the mini-metal lathe I bought myself for xmas making the pulleys etc. The lathe is about 1/6th scale but don't run a tape over my little guy - I'm not the greatest carver around and if he was real he would have one arm about 6" longer than the other, not to mention one child-sized hand :-

I tried every which way to upload/embed the video here but couldn't get it to work so you'll have to use the link . . . MeTube - ttit's videos (http://www.ttit.id.au/video/MeTube.htm#Woodturner)

nine fingers
11th August 2019, 05:45 PM
Vern, you amaze me , the ideas you can come up with,your models ,turnings and cabinetmaking are much
appreciated. Not able to get further north than Coolangatta this year, hope you are keeping well. John.

Old_Tom
12th August 2019, 11:15 AM
That's a very nice piece. I was mezmerised watching the video. Well done!

ARealBoy
12th August 2019, 01:09 PM
Vern that's absolutely fantastic!

Mick.

BobL
12th August 2019, 07:03 PM
Love it!

The only thing that makes me wince a touch is the rod up the jaxci.

Uncle Al
12th August 2019, 11:05 PM
What a brilliant animation. I can appreciate the number of hours that went into making such a clever machine.

Alan...

Christos
13th August 2019, 08:19 AM
That is exceptional.

Wood turns like me, but I use a face shield. :U

dai sensei
14th August 2019, 07:36 PM
So cool mate, heap of effort in that one, looks great

xpro
23rd August 2019, 10:45 AM
That is very nice work Vern, a good idea well executed, quality build. Please continue with more automata !
Regards,
Gus

MandJ
23rd August 2019, 01:12 PM
Ok, now you've done it, that is absolutely beautiful work in every way, inspiring is a word that comes to mind, I bet I know what my next fun project is going to be.

Regards,

Mike

crowie
23rd August 2019, 10:08 PM
That's an amazing piece of engineering woodwork art sir :2tsup:
Cheers, crowie

TTIT
28th August 2019, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the comments one and all! Really enjoyed making it which surprised me - never thought I'd get a kick out of making something that is 'perpetually useless"!

Love it!

The only thing that makes me wince a touch is the rod up the jaxci.
Yes - rather unfortunate placement :C At one stage I was going to try and make that bit appear to be the leg of a stool but couldn't figure any way of making a treadle-turner sit down . . . but he seems happy enough :;