PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of 3ph to 1ph

MikeK
27th October 2005, 05:51 PM
Just wondering if it's possible to convert a 3ph machine to use 1ph power. I know that you can buy a whatever-its-called to convert 1ph power to 3 ph power, but is that the only solution?

Regards,
Mike.

Wood Butcher
27th October 2005, 06:04 PM
Just wondering if it's possible to convert a 3ph machine to use 1ph power. I know that you can buy a whatever-its-called to convert 1ph power to 3 ph power, but is that the only solution?

Regards,
Mike.

The best solution is to change the motor over to a single phase motor. Any good supplier should be able to get a motor that could be asapted to fit. Of course of the motor is over 3hp then single phase motors will not be as efficient.

I have a sparkie friend and was talking to him about the convertors. He said that they do work ok but use a phenomal amount of power and can get extremely hot, saying that you shouldn't use them for long periods of time to make sure that you give the convertor to cool down.

Harry72
27th October 2005, 07:19 PM
What about one of those invertor drives(VFI unit).
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=35569&recno=1
worth a few dollars tho, unsure who'd sell them here...

ian
27th October 2005, 09:02 PM
Mike
you should also check out the cost of getting 3 phase power put on.
If you've got electric hot water (or had it in the past) you probably already have two phases connected to the meter box. From memory when dad got his 3 phase air conditioner, the cost of connecting the third phase was only about $500.

worth considering, especially as it then allows you to take advantage of deals on used industrial machines.

ian

MikeK
2nd November 2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check it out and let you know how I go.

Regards,
Mike.