PDA

View Full Version : From bowl to platter

Ian Artlett
15th August 2019, 05:56 PM
After, a bit of facework prackie, time to use some of my expensive Huon Pine. A nice bowl for a bit of hollowing practice. The base went perfect, YES I can still do this, reverse it and start hollowing, yep how good is this, then a massive catch, bits going everywhere, reality check. ah well we needed another platter

Gary H
15th August 2019, 06:24 PM
Nice looking platter. Big question is "Did you work out why the massive catch"? That's important - I guess you would prefer not to do it again. :((

Uncle Al
15th August 2019, 07:45 PM
The conversion process from bowl to platter can get a bit exciting! A lovely piece of Huon Pine you have there, it has turned into a very nice platter. All part of the learning curve.

Alan...

Ian Artlett
15th August 2019, 09:10 PM
Gary , yes figured it out, having no feeling in both arms and hands, I rely on sight, I took my eye of the cut to look at the profile, gone back to Red gum its a bit more forgiving

Ian Artlett
15th August 2019, 09:22 PM
Alan, yes it was exciting, massively out of balance, I brought the tailstock up, and dialled the speed back having a big rock steady lathe helped, only took 6 chain smoked ciggies and 2 Valium and incantations to the wood gods to save the day

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th August 2019, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how much of the skill in wood-turning is in learning the 'feel' of the cut.

Having to do it solely be eye? Somehow I think my reject pile would suddenly gain a lot of weight, too!

Still, at the end of the day you have a nice platter to show for your efforts. That's much better than having another piece or six of expensive firewood... ;)