PDA

View Full Version : Two Faced

Dalboy
29th August 2019, 07:13 AM
I had a thin piece of Oak which sat in the wood store for ages you know the type "I will do something with that one day".
Anyway, I named this two-faced as the disc can be turned around. The centres one green and one red are from a very small burr that I cut into 1/2" thick pieces for use in turned boxes(which I still have not turned), all the texture is done with a Robert Sorby spiralling and texturing tool. Colouring is spirit stain and then either a light sanding to reveal the high spots, a coloured wax that I made myself or dry brushed over the stain. Then finished with an acrylic sander sealer followed by a satin acrylic lacquer
The base is a plum coloured slate again finished with the acrylic as above the two supporting rods are from some metal that I collect which again may come in handy one day, I think this is stainless steel.
Measurements are as follows Total height is 15 1/2" width 13". and depth 4" the decorative disc is 13" diameter
Second picture with the disc reversed

smiife
29th August 2019, 08:34 PM
Hi Derek , looks very nice mate , well done
I like the darker side best ! :2tsup:

Simplicity
29th August 2019, 09:29 PM
Awesome work Derek,
An love the two faced theme
The centre burls look amazing especially the green one.

Cheers Matt

crowie
29th August 2019, 09:48 PM
G'Day Derek,
You've certainly stepped it up sir, look very high end retailer piece,
Cheers Peter

Dalboy
30th August 2019, 01:58 AM
Thank you all. This is something that I have wanted to do but had not tried until now after finding the thin piece as I said. like many you find wood and think that it will be useful someday when I can think of what to make with it, and stick it in the stock pile of wood(well if like me that is)

brainstrust
1st September 2019, 12:00 PM
Amazing, green side for me. Indeed a piece of art :2tsup:

Keith_1
18th October 2019, 01:15 PM
Awesome. How do you come up with the ideas ?

Top work

Regards

Keith

Dalboy
20th October 2019, 08:36 PM
Awesome. How do you come up with the ideas ?

Top work

Regards

Keith

Thank you, Keith. Not sure sometimes and sometimes just a theme on something I have seen.