PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Crafter Now In Stock

Gwhat
28th October 2005, 07:52 AM
In response to suggestions made at the Melbourne Wood Show we now have the Incra Hinge Crafter in stock along with both the Whiteside bit sets for large and small hinges + of course the 8 piece set for all sizes,

Check it out on the web-site.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

DPB
29th October 2005, 12:34 PM
Is the Hinge Crafter anything more than a drilling jig? It's my understanding that the hinges have to be "crafted" first, i.e. cut on a router table, then inserted into the Hinge crafter to aid in accurately drilling the hole for the hinge pin. Have I got this right?

Gwhat
29th October 2005, 12:47 PM
DPB

You're right it is a drill guide, but it also acts to hold the hinge 'knuckles' when drilling to avoid splitting, it is set up for all hinge sizes, however all use the same 1/8" brass pin.

To make the hinge up to drilling stage you need any of the Incra jigs, + an appropriate set of cutters (bullnose + staright)

Wooden hinges really look the part and are the best way I know of showing off the makers real skills.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

DPB
30th October 2005, 04:31 PM
DPB

You're right it is a drill guide, but it also acts to hold the hinge 'knuckles' when drilling to avoid splitting, it is set up for all hinge sizes, however all use the same 1/8" brass pin.

To make the hinge up to drilling stage you need any of the Incra jigs, + an appropriate set of cutters (bullnose + staright)

Woodchuck meets Woodpecker - Mmm - interesting!:D

So what you are saying is that unless one uses the Hinge Crafter in conjunction with the Incra Jig, the H.C. is useless. Have I got this correct? And would you like to purchase one unused Hinge Crafter?:)

Gwhat
31st October 2005, 07:09 AM
DPB

The flip side to your question about buying the HC is would you like to buy a Incra Jig, the Ultra Lite is a great starter and @ $325.00 is excellent value not just for hinges but all forms of precision joinery. (Dovetails, box jounts, etc.)

We'll happily loan you the videos so you can see how it all works. Call us.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

DPB
31st October 2005, 09:38 AM
The flip side to a lot of my questions is to spend more money. However, I have a shed full of gadgets that I wish I had never purchased.

I've made a promise to myself (read SWMBO) to become more proficient at using what I've got rather than purchase more "stuff".

I've been at this game for only four years now and my bank account has not stopped haemorrhaging. :(

So thanks for the offer, Woodpecker, but I'll pass. :)