PDA

View Full Version : A shed amongst the Gum trees

craigb
28th October 2005, 12:31 PM
On our recent trip south, we stopped at delightful Pambula.

Of course we couldn't go through town withought saying g'day to one silentC. :)

He and missus silentC made us very welcome and cooked us a very nice meal at chez silentC.

The next day, he took us out to where he's building his new house and showed us his shed. I was very jealous :D

Thanks again for you hospitality Darren. :)

silentC
28th October 2005, 01:00 PM
... and it's full of stuff already!!

No worries Craig, was nice to see you both again.

Wongo
28th October 2005, 01:01 PM
Bloody hell :eek:

Pat
28th October 2005, 01:09 PM
Is that 12mx6m? 72sqm (39.35'x19.68' = 775sq feet). It might do for a little while. . .

(Now where is that little green smiley http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbup.gif)

silentC
28th October 2005, 01:14 PM
It's 16m x 6.1m 97.6 sqm but one bay is going to be closed off for my office, a toilet, and a gym. So effectively it is 12m. When the novelty of the gym wears off, it will be my finishing room.

oges
28th October 2005, 01:26 PM
Noice!

Stuff the gym, i think walking up that slope to get to the house will be enough exercise :rolleyes:

Wood Borer
28th October 2005, 01:32 PM
Looks like it is far away from the house to make a noise at night without complaints. Great looking shed Silent.

silentC
28th October 2005, 01:41 PM
It's not as far away as I would have liked but council said no to my first proposed site because it was too close to a natural waterway - the gully!! Bloody ridiculous if you ask me but they said if it was less than 40m away, special permission to build is required from the State govt. It's still about 20m from the back of the house and the living areas are on the other side, so I should be OK.

Don't worry Brett, I wont be using the gym. It's for my missus and my Dad to use. Part of the sweetener ;)

Wongo
28th October 2005, 01:49 PM
When you say your office do yo mean the place you can visit the forum when you are having a break from woodwork? :rolleyes:

silentC
28th October 2005, 01:51 PM
Yes, if I was person of lesser moral fibre, it would be a real temptation having all those toys just outside my office. But then I can just duck out and clamp up a panel while my code is compiling, can't I? I'll be back shortly....

Wood Borer
28th October 2005, 01:54 PM
Or cut some code while the glue is drying. ;)

Wongo
28th October 2005, 01:55 PM
Or cut some code while the glue is drying. ;)

:D

and put a sign on the tablesaw says "Back in 5 minutes" :D

silentC
28th October 2005, 02:53 PM
5 minutes? What, do you want me to finish the whole project in one day? I like to drag it out. 1 minutes intervals of work every half hour. :D

zenwood
28th October 2005, 02:58 PM
That's not a shed, that's 4 sheds. You've got me well and truly jealous, Silent. Nice outlook too (no windows?).

One of the pics looks like you're installing the dust collection piping already!:)

silentC
28th October 2005, 03:10 PM
Windows? Oh you mean those things burglars break in through? ;) I have got a couple of windows but haven't put them in yet.

No dust extraction yet, we're actually using that storm water PVC for the unheard of purpose of carrying storm water :D

RufflyRustic
28th October 2005, 04:23 PM
That is one Fine shed!! I'm green with envy!!!

Cheers
RufflyRustic

routermaniac
28th October 2005, 06:31 PM
fantastic shed silentc. Also the surroundings look extremely relaxing with all that green around. :)

Auld Bassoon
28th October 2005, 07:39 PM
Or but an old and very slow computer so that compilations takes a long timehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

PS

Serious dose of shed jealousy is setting inhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif....

NewLou
28th October 2005, 07:48 PM
Yup shes a cracker!!!

Big Big Big Fun Fun FUn !!!

......................My new shed better though its finished, has a window & high loft Storage:D:D:D

Now all I gotta do is work out how to connect some power!!!!

Seriously Though

Its great to see a blokes dream home n shed come true...............Well Done Silent ENJOY!!!!

REgards Lou;)

Baz
28th October 2005, 09:16 PM
Hi SC, great shed, so the gym is for your father, is that so that he keeps fit enough to go bush and cut up logs to bring back for you? How long before you start on the house, not that it is as important as the workshop.
Cheers
Barry

craigb
28th October 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi SC, great shed, so the gym is for your father, is that so that he keeps fit enough to go bush and cut up logs to bring back for you? How long before you start on the house, not that it is as important as the workshop.
Cheers
Barry

There were logs too and a whole heap of firewood that silentC senior had cut and stacked. :eek: I should have taken a picture of that too. :o

The house is already started and well under way.

Sir Stinkalot
28th October 2005, 09:47 PM
Is it just me or do others see a hint of Al in SC's face ?????

Driver
28th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Is it just me or do others see a hint of Al in SC's face ?????

What are you saying? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sir Stinkalot
28th October 2005, 10:10 PM
..... just an observation ..... Hey the Geelong wood show is on tomorrow 10am - 4pm State Office Building (Crn Little Malop and Fenwick Streets). $3.00 entry, :)

Harry72
28th October 2005, 10:39 PM
I wont be using the gym. It's for my missus and my Dad to use.
Slacker!

It'd be nice to have a personal gym, would save me a few thou a year in fee's, but it would cost $15K+ to set up for what I need... not to mention another extension to the workshop!
If your building the gym as a separate room later you could use it as a finishing room...

baltic
30th October 2005, 08:59 AM
Looks great SC,

Got to have a biggg shed!!
Brings back vivid memory's memory's of our home amongst the gum trees,
Sites cuts,mud, dust. Make sure you get your drainage spot-on!!
Enjoy the experience SC,

Cheers,
Gary.

dai sensei
30th October 2005, 09:58 AM
Well on the way to a fine looking shed.

I'll be down you way at Tathra for Xmas, so would love to catch up and see how you are progressing.

Cheers

jacko
30th October 2005, 06:49 PM
Hey SilentC, when next you are travlling North stop of at BB for a cuppa at our place. Be glad to make your aquantaince.
Jacko
ps do people still actually compile code these days?? Wow!

silentC
31st October 2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks all. Yes, the shed was the most important thing. In fact you could say that the shed came first because needing room for a shed was the reason we put the house on the market in first place.

Barry, as Craig said, the house is under way. It's been going for just over a month, hoping to be finished by January. The old man loves cutting trees up because it gives him an excuse to get out in the bush in the cruiser.

Harry, our gym will probably consist of a bike, a rowing machine and one of those combo machines. Was thinking about making some of it.

Gary, it rained all day yesterday (raining again now), so we have about 2.5 acres of mud up there at the moment. You get half an inch taller with every step. Worked on the drainage on Saturday thankfully and it was all working OK at lunch time yesterday. Last time it rained the shed flooded. Hopefully have that sorted out now.

Neil, PM when you are coming down. I'm up North for the week before Christmas, will be back by New Year, so if you're around then, let me know. Tathra is about 20 minutes away from us.

Jacko, will do. Yes, I still compile my VB and C++ code. Trouble is the PCs are so fast now that it only takes a few seconds. In the old days, you could fit in a cuppa or a leg stretch while you waited :D

mkemila
31st October 2005, 01:13 PM
Shed? that thing looks more like a woodworking oasis. I could put about 4 of my shops in there!!

looks great though

ryanarcher
31st October 2005, 01:26 PM
Looks like a beautiful place you live my friend, with a great shop to boot. :) nice tee too. ;)

-Ryan

oges
1st November 2005, 01:27 PM
nice tee too.
He wore that at the Sydney wood show too I think, might be only shirt he has .. you had better send him some more :D :rolleyes:

John Saxton
1st November 2005, 10:04 PM
Silent,great lookin' shed hope you got somewhere to store your timber!

An observation COS you'll probably find space limiting over time..,I have a 20 by 6 metre shed and over time it has almost filled to capacity with timber and tooling to the point where crowding can occur in an attempt to keep good timber dry.

HOPE all goes well with setting up your shop.

cheers :)

Wild Dingo
2nd November 2005, 01:32 AM
Jonno mate... make your timber feel loved build it its own pergala mate :cool: right alongside that wonderous 20 x 6 shed that you will bring over to my place if you and the missus decide to head east... which mate will do exceptionally well for my DAR timber storage shed!!!... the humpy can then be a log drying area :cool: AND the bonus will be you will know your ol mate the Dingo wont be in need of another shed for... oooohhh a few months at least :D ;)

Gawd Im glad we sorted that out!! ;) No dont thank me ol son just give me a hoi when your ready to bring it over or want me to come get it and we'll get a barbie happening... remember summers coming!! :cool:

Silent mate... good one!! you gotta get some windows in there though... think of the inspiration from that view mate :cool:

silentC
2nd November 2005, 07:59 AM
I've got plans to build a covered timber rack along one side of the shed. Also incorporating a lean-to for the dusty and the compressor. Probably get around to it in 5 or 10 years :D

I put a window in yesterday. Prick of a job. Trouble is it's obscure glass - in the toilet. Not really inspirational, although I do a bit of thinking in there at times....

TEEJAY
2nd November 2005, 09:29 AM
Nice big shed there Silent.

When I had my house built I had the shed put in first and yes the drainage needed attention to stop more than the two floods I got.

I have found it now necessary to put an awning along the side as it's great to be outside but under cover on those "great to be alive days" when birds are twittering etc. ;)

Hope you find the time to post plans of your layout or at least some scanned pics of inside. I'd do the same with mine but people would say - how the hell do you get in and out of all that! :eek:

Wish I had a big big shed - oh well. (insert green with envy smilie) :)

Cheers

John Saxton
2nd November 2005, 09:34 PM
Shane,'Er indoors has put said foot down and decreed that we're aheadin' East...now it might take some time before this occurs said shed will have to partake in biopsy to decide what to take and what to leave when the container arrives for the movin' but sorry to disappoint you 'Ol son but shed must stay intactus delecti ;) for said sale of the 'ol joint :)

SILENT, I have a covered carport attached to the shed which is loaded with timber to such a point I had to lay out some more serious $$$$ for the accommodation of at least 3 vehicles in another carport.JUST a point that timber collection/storage can creep on you moreover if you've a head for a bargain that occassionally presents itself with timber sales/auctions etc.

GOOD LUCK with all your future needs and movements with setting up your new home/workshop.

Cheers :)

Wild Dingo
2nd November 2005, 11:50 PM
Shane,'Er indoors has put said foot down and decreed that we're aheadin' East...now it might take some time before this occurs said shed will have to partake in biopsy to decide what to take and what to leave when the container arrives for the movin' but sorry to disappoint you 'Ol son but shed must stay intactus delecti ;) for said sale of the 'ol joint :)

Cheers :)

Now thats a buggar mate!! :( ...ah well will increase said profits from said sale eh! goin over there your gonna need as much loot as you can get your hands on ol son... you checked the price of ranches over there??? :eek: enough to scare Bill Gates! :D flamin sheilas!! I mean east??? EAST??? EAST??? thats were all them crow eaters an narna benders live!! :eek: amongst other critters!! ;) {its okay you NSW Vic an Tazweegians I could never remember what yous mob were!} sigh an so the mighty West looses another good bloke at the whim an whimsy of a sheila :( ... mind here them fellas over east will be happy to gain yet another west aussie!! :p

aahhh were a disappearin critter us true blue sandgropers I think Im gonna have to appeal to our fearless leader to put West Aussies on the endangered species list :D

Caliban
9th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Darren
Nice. Very nice.
How far north you coming just before Christmas? It's about time we caught up again.

silentC
10th November 2005, 08:03 AM
G'day Jim, we're going to Coona but unfortunately a bit too far inland to drop in on Kempsey. We might be up your way early next year though, I'll let you know.

Started standing frames for the house yesterday. Shed takes a back seat for a few weeks now...