PDA

View Full Version : Emerging bowls

smiife
8th September 2019, 08:21 PM
Hi guys , made these emerging bowls a while ago after watching a YT video , but can, t remember who it was demonstrating , anyway , made from red gum and surprising easy to do when you know how :U:U:U and good fun too !:2tsup:
The missus reckons they look like little toilet bowls :o:o:o:o:o

tony_A
8th September 2019, 09:54 PM
They look like a fun little project smiife, nice piece of wood as well. Our wives can be our harshest critics.

Tony

Gabriel
8th September 2019, 10:12 PM
I really like these - I'll store it in my 'to try' list....one day :U

Thanks for sharing, and ripper job! :2tsup:

Cheers
Gab

Nubsnstubs
8th September 2019, 11:52 PM
Smiife, I'm pretty sure you did the inside first from a block of wood, and then remounted to do the OD. Did you cut it on a table saw to clean up the rim when done turning it? .......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

smiife
9th September 2019, 08:59 PM
They look like a fun little project , nice piece of wood as well. Our wives can be our harshest critics.

Tony

Hi Tony , thanks mate , yeah , good job they are sometimes:U

I really like these - I'll store it in my 'to try' list....one day :U

Thanks for sharing, and ripper job! :2tsup:

Cheers
Gab

Yeah , you should try them , thanks Gab:2tsup:

Smiife, I'm pretty sure you did the inside first from a block of wood, and then remounted to do the OD. Did you cut it on a table saw to clean up the rim when done turning it? .......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Hi Jerry , I wish I could remember the name of the guy who did the YT video
Will try and explain , but quite sure If you google "emerging bowls " ....you will find the video.....
2 pieces of nice wood the same width and half height and same length.....
Say , 100mm x 80mm x 40mm, then glue together with a paper joint....
So you have a 100mm x 80mm x 80mm , turn between centres and make a
half sphere on one end , split the 2 blocks and turn a bowl on the end you made the sphere ......does that make sense ?
If not let me know .....

powderpost
9th September 2019, 09:40 PM
Guilio Marcolonga was the pioneer of this concept.

Jim

poundy
9th September 2019, 10:44 PM
i just watched this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekH57icxrJM), on silent and at 1.5x speed, but seemed to show the process nicely

brainstrust
9th September 2019, 11:34 PM
Definitely a loo!!!
The middle 2 pics show them at their best.

smiife
10th September 2019, 08:45 PM
Guilio Marcolonga was the pioneer of this concept.

Jim

Hi Jim, yes I know Guilio had done them before , but it wasn, t him in the video..

i just watched this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekH57icxrJM), on silent and at 1.5x speed, but seemed to show the process nicely

Hi poundy , yeah It wasn, t Mike either

Definitely a loo!!!
The middle 2 pics show them at their best.

Hi BT , thanks mate .......I think :U

Dalboy
11th September 2019, 05:26 AM
Nice emerging bowls and that Red Gum certainly has a lovely deep colour.

I watched a demo sometime late last year and kept promising to do one myself, then saw Mike's u tube one a month or so ago and again meant to do one but instead made my arty piece called Two Faced. why are there so many things I want to do but never enough time to do them in

smiife
11th September 2019, 08:58 PM
Nice emerging bowls and that Red Gum certainly has a lovely deep colour.

I watched a demo sometime late last year and ceptpromising to do one myself, then saw Mike's u tube one a month or so ago and again meant to do one but instead made my arty piece called Two Faced. why are there so many things I want to do but never enough time to do them in

Hi Derek , I am the same mate , lots of ideas and no time to do them all,
Work and life In general keeps getting in the way ......:~:~
Thanks for your comments , much appreciated