PDA

View Full Version : Bowl help needed

maki
29th October 2005, 10:15 AM
Hi this is my first post here I am new to woodturning and going down the learn by mistakes road, I keep getting the same problem though, which is when turnig bowls I seem to get chaffing/tearout on the end grain parts of the bowl. I tried different tools and sharpening them also tried different speeds and angles.
Any one put me right.
Regards Maki

Wes Paas
29th October 2005, 10:57 PM
The only thing anyone can tell you is: Keep your chisels sharp. Use the highest speed you feel comfortable with. Use light cuts. and hope that you have (or are able to get a proper feeling for woodturning.

Wes (73 years old and turning wood since 1960)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th October 2005, 11:25 PM
What Wes said. :)

Also, if you're finding the tear-out is near the centre of the bowl you might wanna bump up the speed a notch or two when you're cutting there. The closer you move to the centre, the slower the poiece of wood you're cutting is actually moving. Don't forget to slow it down as you move away from the centre again!

Use common sense; if the bowl is cracked or out of balance don't go whizzing it flat out! :eek:

maki
30th October 2005, 08:44 AM
I have been turning at the lower speeds will resharped my chisels and try the faster speeds, taking into account dia and balance. Will turn a couple of bowls tommorrow.
Thanks maki

JackoH
30th October 2005, 09:20 AM
What Wes said plus: What species of wood are you using?
Some are much more susceptible to end grain tear out than others.
Experiment 'til you find somwe that doesn't and put away the difficult ones until you get more proficient, as you will wth practice.
Good turning.

maki
30th October 2005, 10:21 AM
I have had this problem mainly with cherry, also with padouk. On a side note can I use builders pva for sealing the ends of green wood (I just got a load of cherry logs my brother in law is a tree surgeon)

Regards maki

maki
31st October 2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the advice I need to practise sharpening my chisels but doing that and increasing speed caused less tearout, this is my fourth bowl consructive critism welcome.
Regards maki
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/jonarthur/d5899b1d.jpg

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2005, 06:52 PM
I have had this problem mainly with cherry, also with padouk. On a side note can I use builders pva for sealing the ends of green wood (I just got a load of cherry logs my brother in law is a tree surgeon)

Yes. I use it as a last resort when, for one reason or another, I don't have anything better on hand but there are definitely better sealers out there. It's an often discussed topic here, do a search if it's something ya wanna know more about.

BTW, even if you used the best sealant in the world the cherry will crack. Some fruitwoods are buggers like that and all you can do is minimise it. [shrug] One other thing I would do is cut the logs into shortish lengths, a bit over twice as long as they are wide, and then split them in two lengthwise through the heartwood. It helps.

maki
1st November 2005, 10:19 AM
Yes. I use it as a last resort when, for one reason or another, I don't have anything better on hand but there are definitely better sealers out there. It's an often discussed topic here, do a search if it's something ya wanna know more about.

BTW, even if you used the best sealant in the world the cherry will crack. Some fruitwoods are buggers like that and all you can do is minimise it. [shrug] One other thing I would do is cut the logs into shortish lengths, a bit over twice as long as they are wide, and then split them in two lengthwise through the heartwood. It helps.

Thanks I have done what you said with the cherry logs and sealed the endgrain with pva sealer, I will look into a better product that is availible in the UK
regards maki

Utuk_Xul
1st November 2005, 01:11 PM
Certainly not bad for your 4th bowl. Well done.