PDA

View Full Version : Red Mallee Burl

Pat
29th October 2005, 05:32 PM
Attached is a pic of a Red Mallee Burl (E.gracilis), that I have done for a mate's 50th tonight. Hope she likes it, otherwise she'll have a sore head! :) :) :)

echnidna
29th October 2005, 07:37 PM
Looks good.
Did you carve it with chisels or an arbortech?

schaf
30th October 2005, 06:11 PM
Looks great your friend will be very pleased.
now come on Pat,a little bit of information please.
how big,what tools ,what finish and how did you hold the peice.
Well done.
Regards
Terry

Pat
30th October 2005, 07:52 PM
Bob/Terry, I initially attempted to carve it with chisels, but with it being very hard and my impatience, I got out the arbortech to carve out the bowl. My Dwalt grinder died a couple of weeks ago for the third time, so MBGitW gave her blessing to get a new one - Makita 9553nbk. Instead of sanding, I used my goose neck cabinet scrapers (Veritas .6mm and .4mm), which impressed me greatly - the quality of the finish and not having to wear the ppe.

The finish of the inside of the bowl is a couple of coats of olive oil and a few coats of Ubeaut's Traditional wax (Shameless plug for our BB sponsors!). The shell has one coat of Arbortech's Arbor Oil.

The burl is approx 200 long x 100 wide x 35-40 deep. It has a fairly thick lip as the red colouring was in the center only.

I purchased the burl from Brad's Burls sometime ago for $14. Hopefully this is enough detail, as I am suffering from blurring of the brain . . . too much of a good drink last night!

MeTaBo MaN
30th October 2005, 08:44 PM
Excellent work Pat,And a Nice looking burl as well

RufflyRustic
31st October 2005, 10:18 AM
Beautiful Burl Bowl!

Cheers
RR

backpack
4th November 2005, 04:16 PM
Hi Pat,
I am a new user of the woodwork forum. I am also a fairly new user of the abortech grinder - I purchased a mini grinder at the Wordworking Show in July and the Industrial Pro just recently. I have been churning out a few bowls and would love any advice/feedback. I have been making similar bowls to the one in your photo. I have been using Coollabah and Red Mallee Burls. I recently found out a method to remove the bark from the Burl by soaking it first in water and then blasting the remainder off with a water blaster (Karcher). These are the kind of tips I am searching for. I would also be interested in tips on sanding, finishing etc. My lastest bowl is finished in Tung Oil and it gives it a really lovely finish. I will endeavour to put some photos on the forum sometime in the near future. Signing Off. Kath.

Pat
4th November 2005, 07:48 PM
Kath, welcome to poor end of town, us carver's are a vocal minority :D As with bark removal, it depends on if the burl is wet or dry. A wire brush and careful use of a knife removes most bark, with the stubbon sections attacked with a brush cup on the grinder with very light hands. You can purchase sandblasted ones from Brad's Burls at Peakhurst.

As described above, I experimented with scraping the bowl with goose neck cabinet scrapers, from which I can assume is the dark version of using a scraper when turning a bowl?

Please post some photo's as I am still mucking around with methods/finishes etc.

Most of all have fun! :)

backpack
4th November 2005, 10:52 PM
Here is my latest bowl - Red Mallee burl carved with arbortech and finished with tung oil

schaf
5th November 2005, 08:02 AM
very nice work Backpack.
These hand crafter bowls look very good indeed,will have to try one for myself.
I do not own a superjaws so will have to think of another way.
well done
regards Terry

backpack
5th November 2005, 05:37 PM
Terry,

Just wondering what kind of woodworking do you do? I am always keen for advice on sanding/finishing etc.

Kath.

Pat
5th November 2005, 06:55 PM
Terry, I too am superjawless, so I make do with sandbags and/or the non slip matting. Both allow 360 degree access and limited movement, but I conceed the superjaws would be better.

Another tool on the list! :D

schaf
5th November 2005, 09:48 PM
Hi kath and Pat
My hobby is woodcarving.Be it in the round or releif carving.Sanding and finishing is a box all of its own.When you sand a carving you find many curved surfaces and tight places that need sanding.I have found that tooth brushes are good.You can cut off the bristles and shape the end to any contour you need and then glue whichever grade sandpaper you require to the new shaped end of the brush. It gives something hard to push against and is easy on the fingers.

Pat,I am the same as you.I also use sand bags and non slip mats but I also use a home made devise which incorporates tow ball that is used on a car .It is great to hold your carving peice and any one how can weld can make one for you.
I will post a picture.
regards Terry

Rusty
5th November 2005, 09:52 PM
That's not a burl...:D

Rowan
6th November 2005, 08:49 AM
Kath and Pat

I too am superjawless but I had a mate "copy" the principal. If u get the time have a look at my web page for pictures of not only the jig but some of my pieces.

Ps nice work keep it up

backpack
6th November 2005, 07:50 PM
Rowan,

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!

You are truly an inspiration to me. I went onto your website - your work is exactly my kind of thing.

I will try and arrange some more photos of some work I have done - you will see the similarities.

However, your work is far superior to mine. I am a newcomer to the world of wood and am totally hooked.

I purchased some tools at the Woodworking show in July and have made a few bowls and bits and pieces since then.

I am discovering different ways/techniques and short-cuts as I go along. Your website was so helpful/informative. I was only told by someone today the technique of glueing a piece of wood to the bottom of the bowl for easy access for clamping. I will definately be using your method of attaching another hexagon piece to the bottom so that I can rotate the bowl around.

I have been starting the carving process with the Arbortech Industrial Pro and then moving onto the mini carver and then sanding with a rubber backed drill attachment starting with 60grit and working up to 400grit and then hand sanding to 1000grit. My bowls are by no means perfect (I can always still see marks that I should have sanded out). The best finish I have used so far is Tung Oil - I like a natural type of finish. I have tried polyurethane and Danish Oil as well.

I find carving bowls very satisfying as you never really know what you are going to end up with. As soon as one is finished I am already thinking about the next.

How long have you been carving for? Has it had any effect on the body - someone recently warned me that long term carving can cause injury to the arms, shoulder and back. I truly appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Thanks so much and keep up the great work.

Regards, Kath.

Rowan
6th November 2005, 08:59 PM
I think the biggest effect has been getting wood dust in my blood stream, kinda contagious :D :D

Seriously though I have only been doing it for a couple of years as a hobby, saw one wanted to make one and ...............................

My only issue is with the wrists. Holding either the angle grinder or the drill for long periods can leave them stiff and sore but as for the back I have found the best (most practical for me) height and had the jig made to suit, but do have a stool for the sanding as I spend more time sanding than anything else.

As for the perfect bowl, I dont think it exists in the eyes of maker. Each one of mine is better/different than the last but I can always see marks, even when no-one esle sees them, thats the joy/frustration of woodworking.

Keep up the work and keep posting always nice to see fresh work

Interested
10th March 2006, 10:24 PM
Hi people
I was hoping that someone could tell me if Red Mallee is hard to get and where can it be found.?

It makes an excellent bowl as per the photo.

How muck a Kilo should I be prepared to pay for a red malee burl.?

also I have just inherited a metal lathe can i use it to turn timber

I no nothing

Thanks regards Paul