PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood hollow form

tony_A
30th September 2019, 10:08 PM
Turned this green several months ago and finished it recently. The wood came form a dead tree on a mates place and the finished article will be going back to its original owner. Used both a Rolly Munro and a woodcut hollowing tool. This is the biggest hollow form I have attempted and was about the limit for the tools I have (and my skill level). Its 320mm high by 240 diam, finished with danish oil and buffed with eee.

Comments and criticism welcome.

Tony

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th September 2019, 10:53 PM
I like the form, it shows off the grain very nicely, as does the finish. Good choices! :2tsup:

It looks like the 'fault' runs right through the foot? I gather it didn't give you any heart-stopping moments?

brainstrust
30th September 2019, 11:05 PM
That is a real statement piece, awesome :2tsup:

tony_A
1st October 2019, 09:15 AM
It looks like the 'fault' runs right through the foot? I gather it didn't give you any heart-stopping moments?

G'day Skew, thanks for the comments.
I have posted a couple of pieces with faults like this and I am well aware of the consequences if one comes apart when turning. Each piece like this is assessed and it turned cautiously. Initially there was solid wood around the outside most of the piece. However, the internal fault was obvious and I was aiming to make a feature of it. Initial turning between centres to form a tenon and rough out the base was not a problem. The fault runs through the foot had minimal air gap and the chuck gripped it solidly. Once chucked the outside turning was completed. I stopped turning a few times to check all was solid. In my experience when a piece starts to crack during turning a harmonic noise will develop, listen for changes in sound and vibration. Hollowed it out using a steady rest to support it and it didn't five me any heart stopping moments. Thickness is about the same on both sides of the fault suggesting to me that it wasn't flexing much during hollowing. I did run a couple of laps of Duc tape around it for security. The feather grain above the fault is tough wood and very difficult to split with an axe, I was confident that would hold together.

Tony

smiife
1st October 2019, 09:08 PM
Hi Tony , very nice vase , beautiful piece of wood , well done :2tsup:

NeilS
2nd October 2019, 06:46 PM
Comments and criticism welcome.

You've definitely turned that fault into a feature.

Well done, Tony, a very nice piece of work!

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

splinterz25
4th October 2019, 06:40 AM
Really nice piece I like how you were able to use the void as a feature.

tony_A
4th October 2019, 08:54 AM
Hi Tony , very nice vase , beautiful piece of wood , well done :2tsup:

Thanks smiife, appreciate the comment. Looking forward to your next piece.

You've definitely turned that fault into a feature.

Well done, Tony, a very nice piece of work!

Thanks Neil, I appreciate your comments.

Really nice piece I like how you were able to use the void as a feature.

Thanks Splinterz, I like working with the natural "faults" in a piece of wood; occluded bark, grub holes, even rot if not too bad. It often makes turning and finishing harder/slower but the result can be stunning.

Tony