PDA

View Full Version : Mulga, Gidgee, ???? What am I?

doragus
18th October 2019, 03:34 PM
Hi Guys
Lucky enough to be given some nice turning wood. The guy who collected it passed away a couple of years ago. The small piece that made Bowl 1 was marked as Mulga. The family told me the other timber (Bowl 2 and the other pieces pictured) was also Mulga but it wasn't marked. It looks different and is different colours. Both timbers had the same "feel" when turning and finishing. Both are very heavy and dense and both turned and finished very well although they were very hard - lots of trips to the grinder. Can anyone help with the correct identification of the timbers please?

crowie
18th October 2019, 08:14 PM
Gorgeous bowls sir.
I have no idea on which timber they are.
I’ve used some gidgee on toys I’ve made which blunted a number of router bits, bandsaw blades and circular saw blades; as hard as concrete.
Cheers crowie.

PS how big are the bowls please?

Mobyturns
18th October 2019, 10:19 PM
(bowl 2) Looks to me to be a "beefwood," a Grevillea, which one I'm not so sure about. Most likely to be G. striata from the bark.

Edit - check out Vern's TTIT site - Beefwood (https://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/beefwood.htm)

MikeJ
18th October 2019, 11:00 PM
I do not care it is all beautiful

doragus
19th October 2019, 10:28 AM
Gorgeous bowls sir.
I have no idea on which timber they are.
I’ve used some gidgee on toys I’ve made which blunted a number of router bits, bandsaw blades and circular saw blades; as hard as concrete.
Cheers crowie.

PS how big are the bowls please?

Thanks Crowie. Both turned up really nice. #1 is 14cm diameter. #2 is 16cm diameter and 7cm high.

doragus
19th October 2019, 10:33 AM
(bowl 2) Looks to me to be a "beefwood," a Grevillea, which one I'm not so sure about. Most likely to be G. striata from the bark.

Edit - check out Vern's TTIT site - Beefwood (https://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/beefwood.htm)

Thanks Moby. Beefwood certainly looks like a good contender but this one had absolutely none of the dreaded resin that has turned Vern off this wood. It has probably been down for 20+ years so maybe that's long enough to avoid the resin problem.

Mobyturns
19th October 2019, 03:59 PM
Thanks Moby. Beefwood certainly looks like a good contender but this one had absolutely none of the dreaded resin that has turned Vern off this wood. It has probably been down for 20+ years so maybe that's long enough to avoid the resin problem.

I've turned both, some with resin that seems to be inexhaustible, and others with none. Presumably different species, or perhaps simply different growing conditions.

doragus
19th October 2019, 04:51 PM
I've turned both, some with resin that seems to be inexhaustible, and others with none. Presumably different species, or perhaps simply different growing conditions.

On that basis I think we'll declare it to be Beefwood.
Thanks

burraboy
20th October 2019, 02:39 AM
I'd reckon 1 is mulga and the rest beefwood.