PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Inspiration by Rocker & Reitveld

corbs
30th October 2005, 10:06 PM
After seeing Rockers first Zig Zag chair I thought about doing one of these, then I saw his second one in Jarrah... and I just happened to have a pile of 50x50 Jarrah posts out the back... and I now know the proportions. I had run out of excuses. So here is the results of todays effort. All wood started out this morning as rough sawn posts. I had to get the hand saw out to finish some cutting as sparks out of an SCMS didnt impress me all that much :eek: (Need more tools ;)). Hopefully next weekend I will get the frame finished and then who knows where it will go from there. SWMBO has told me its not coming inside though :(.

Corbs

Rocker
31st October 2005, 07:15 AM
Corbs,

It is looking good. Should make a nice shed chair, if nothing else :) I trust it is just dry-assembled; it would be harder to cut the mortices if it were glued up first.

Rocker

RufflyRustic
31st October 2005, 09:46 AM
Looking Good Corbs! The jarrah will look wonderful. I reckon SWMBO might change her mind when she sees it finished.

cheers
RufflyRustic

gazaly
31st October 2005, 11:34 AM
Great stuff Corbs, looking good. Keep the photo's coming!

ptc
31st October 2005, 05:42 PM
Love it.
Keep us posted.

gazaly
31st October 2005, 09:32 PM
Come on Corbs, its been 23 hours, you must have done some more by now. I know you don't do anything at work :D :D :D

corbs
1st November 2005, 12:03 AM
Rocker & Ruffly,

Everything in our house is... rustic :rolleyes:. This is one for the shed or might be a gift to the neighbours before I leave? Frames are dry fitted at the moment, dont have any epoxy glue to put it together yet. Might have to do a trip to Carbatec on the weekend, have to get some bits for a broken bandsaw.

Gazaly... I will have you know I work very hard indeed... I keep millions of Brazilian coffee growers and a fair few of our Sugar growers in business everyday ;):D. If I were to stop working it could create havoc in the global economy:o. Please be patient Gazaly, prob wont get a chance to do anymore until the weekend... gotta go... kettle just boiled :D

Corbs

corbs
6th November 2005, 08:27 PM
Afternoon all,

Its been a pretty busy weekend here with Canberra's Decomissioning ball on last night which also meant that power tools werent my friend until later on today :o. I wasnt happy with the width of the chair in the current photos, and I have since narrowed the width by another 50mm which makes it look more appropriate.

The seat top has slowed me down though. I had a look at Rockers but couldnt figure out how to attach the pad to the chair. Was thinking buttons or even figure 8's but am open to other suggestions.

Corbs

Rocker
6th November 2005, 08:59 PM
Corbs,
Is it glued up yet? You need some cross rails to support the seat, I made them 22 x 90, and made their inner edges curved to reduce the weight of the chair. I also used triangular glue blocks screwed and glued to the side rails and seat rails for reinforcement.

Rocker

corbs
6th November 2005, 10:53 PM
Rocker,

Its still just dry fitted, wont start glue up until I have it all ready to go. My bandsaw is out of action at the moment so I havent had a chance to curve the back rests and I wasnt interested in flashing up the thicknesser to clean up more Jarrah after last nights efforts. Next weekend I will try to either glue up or be ready to glue up.

Corbs

Rocker
7th November 2005, 10:46 AM
Corbs,

I just screwed through the seat rails into the slip-seat frame, but you could use buttons, as Major did on his dining chair.

Rocker

corbs
6th December 2005, 08:17 PM
Well... its only taken me a couple of months to finish my chair, but here it is. The seat cover is micro fibre which feels pretty good to sit on and is supposed to clean easily (good with little kids) SWMBO still insists that it isnt coming inside so, I guess I have a pretty good shed chair now :o. Finish is danish oil, and will put some wax on when I get over east to complete the job. This is the last project that I will complete on the west coast. Next piece of work I post on here will be from the east coast (Canberra). I am under orders for two chests of drawers for the boys, so if Santa is good to me and I get my Gifkins (its not like I havent dropped enough hints) then my next project is on the drawing board.

Be well and merry xmas

Corbs

Auld Bassoon
6th December 2005, 09:31 PM
Hi Corbs,

That 'Z' chair has turned out pretty jolly well!

Great job! Gets a greenie from me

Cheers

RufflyRustic
7th December 2005, 09:54 AM
Hi Corbs, Beautiful chair! Your shed has just gained a bit more gracefulness :D

cheers
RufflyRustic

Rocker
7th December 2005, 10:27 AM
Corbs,

It came out well; but your shed must be cleaner than mine if you can consider having the seat made in such a light coloured material. Maybe, if you made a rocker, that might be allowed indoors:D

Rocker

corbs
7th December 2005, 05:46 PM
Corbs,

It came out well; but your shed must be cleaner than mine if you can consider having the seat made in such a light coloured material. Maybe, if you made a rocker, that might be allowed indoors:D

Rocker

Now if only I could find a nice rocking chair plan:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D

Harry72
8th December 2005, 09:24 AM
It came up quite nice Corbs... women never happy!

With all this talk of true Aussie designs... being a roo looking chair I think this is getting near(thanks to the rockster!)although it was based on the Z chair of that bloke who's name I cant even spell!

What if we contoured the legs to actualy mimic the legs of a bigg red hopper, thicker rounded muscled bicep shape at the front top joint coming to a slender before going to a chunky elbow... then a slender forearm into a paw shape for the front foot final?

He he he, hey where's the pouch go?

zenwood
8th December 2005, 11:19 AM
Corbs: I must've missed this thread first time round. Chair looks really good. What's wrong with your SWMBO: tell her she's got no taste (except for marrying you of course:D:D).

I've done the joints on one zig-zag table, but was frustrated by some splitting jarrah when doing the second one. More jarrah on order from Ottos...

What if we contoured the legs to actualy mimic the legs of a bigg red hopper...Not sure about the kangaroo reference. A true kangaroo chair would have more vertical uprights, and would need a tail to stabilise it.

Harry72
8th December 2005, 12:08 PM
Yes your right about the upright(roo's cant angle foward their legs) but the two legs at a few viewing angles do look like a roo's legs!

Hmm, chair with a tail for the rear stabiliser... we'll have an aussie design soon!

AlexS
8th December 2005, 01:17 PM
If you're in Melbourne between now & the 18th Dec. have a look at the roo chair at touchwood. Perhaps someone could post a pic of it.