PDA

View Full Version : Arbortech power chisel

OEL
28th October 2019, 08:03 AM
Hello everyone, I have a few Arbortech tools and really enjoy working with then. I make small sculptures and mainly use them to add texture and do sometime carving.
I have a ball gouge, turbo plane and just got a power chisel.
I've just tried to make a few cuts using a gouge chisel on the power chisel and I'm having a few issues, if I make a deep cut (not very deep), the initial cut is fine but when I pull the chisel back up, the wood gets ripped. I've attached a photo so it's a bit clearer. I've sharpened the chisels and tried to pull very gently but the timber still rips. Am I doing anything wrong?
Thanks, Oli

artful bodger
28th October 2019, 05:46 PM
Try cutting half way in from one direction, then for the other half of the cut come in from180 degrees the other way and meet in the middle?.
There is a carving section on this forum.

Mobyturns
29th October 2019, 10:07 AM
When using hand or power carving tools, indeed any wood cutting tool, one has to work with the grain to minimize tear out.

I presume when you say "when I pull the chisel back up" you mean completing the second half of the cut working from its deepest point back "uphill" into the grain to the surface of the board. The first half of the cut is "downhill" which is good practice. Cutting grain "uphill" in almost all wood is not so good as you have found out.

The much simplified description in the link may assist you to understand "working with the grain." Note there are always exceptions, and some woods are just plain cantankerous.

Wood Grain - Canadian Woodworking Magazine (https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/tipstechniques/wood-grain)

Robson Valley
29th October 2019, 10:22 AM
Always cut down into the grain. You learn quickly in bad woods like western red cedar and any of the pines & spruces.
That means you must work from both ends or all around from the circumference as you would carve a bowl.

I would always begin with some sort of a "stop cut" in the middle and then work towards that from all directions.

The contradiction is to watch a First Nations carver, here in the Pacific Northwest, when they "texture" a surface.
Entirely row after row of shallow divots all the same and no tear out. Remarkable striking accuracy with an adze.