View Full Version : camphor platter

smiife
28th October 2019, 07:46 PM
Hi guys , camphor platter I made a while ago , similar to the rosewood one
This is approx 300mm wide , finished with eee and glow , pyrographed with
Basket weave design , any comments and advice welcome

Gary H
29th October 2019, 09:05 AM
Good one, Smiffe. The grain is fantastic and the pyrography really sets it off. As a pyrograph ignoramus was the basket weave done freehand or with some sort of template? Either way, it looks great. :2tsup:

Cheers, Gary

tony_A
29th October 2019, 09:29 AM
That's a really nice piece of work there smiife and very well finished as we have come to expect. Pyrography is not something I have tried and if you lived a bit closer I would be asking you if you would mind show me how you do it. I've seen examples that don't work but I like the balance between natural wood and the pyrography that you have in this piece, they both complement each other.

Tony

brainstrust
29th October 2019, 07:49 PM
great piece of camphor, great bowl. Very medieval looking :2tsup:

smiife
29th October 2019, 08:24 PM
Good one, Smiffe. The grain is fantastic and the pyrography really sets it off. As a pyrograph ignoramus was the basket weave done freehand or with some sort of template? Either way, it looks great. :2tsup:

Cheers, Gary

Hi Gary , thanks for your comments , the basket weave is done with a paper clip
wound around a philips head screwdriver 3 times to make a small spring shape
Then stamp one way leaving 3 straight lines horizontal and then again stamped
Vertical .....hhope this makes sense :C

That's a really nice piece of work there smiife and very well finished as we have come to expect. Pyrography is not something I have tried and if you lived a bit closer I would be asking you if you would mind show me how you do it. I've seen examples that don't work but I like the balance between natural wood and thepyrography that you have in this piece, they both complement each other.

Tony

Thanks Tony , appreciate your comments , it would be my pleasure to show you how
Maybe one day I will be down your way , you could always head north :U

great piece of camphor, great bowl. Very medieval looking :2tsup:

Thanks BT, I guess it does look a bit medieval, and it was a nice piece of campour too !
That always helps to start with a good blank .........