PDA

View Full Version : List of books

Andy Mac
31st October 2005, 10:01 AM
I think a list of Forum member's favourite books or recommended reading is great resource to have here, as started by this thread: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/whats-book-23029/1?pp=15
I haven't made an input, simply because the specific query was on a good basic book to get you started, and apart from the usual high school ones I don't know many! I have a good list of specific books like chairmaking, toolmaking and inspirational books too, so maybe this thread could be ordered into topics or cleaned up somewhat.
What do you all think? I'm willing to put one together if people want to add their selections....

Cheers,

NewLou
31st October 2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me.....................

REgards Lou;)

RufflyRustic
31st October 2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah! - way to go Andy. Great Idea!

I've an entry for Inspirational Books. - The book of boxes or whatever. I'll get the details right first.

cheers
RufflyRustic

Wood Butcher
31st October 2005, 07:35 PM
If we entering suggestions heres a couple

-The workbench book by Scott Landis
-the Toolbox Book by Jim Tolpin

Pat
31st October 2005, 07:54 PM
For me the following have been a big help:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Woodworking
(Reed Karen, Alpha Books ISBN 0028632370)

Building the Perfect Tool Chest
(Jim Stack, Popular Woodworking Books ISBN155870650X)

The Woodworkers Handbook
(Roger Horwood, New Holland Publishers ISBN 1843304597)

The Workbench Book
(Scott Landis, Taunton Press ISBN 1561582700)

Australian Timber Buyer's Guide
(Skills Publishing ISBN 0646180967)

Sharpening
(Thomas Lie-Nielsen, Taunton Press ISBN 1561586579)

All these books are helpful to me, others may have differing opinions . . . :D
So if your local library has these titles, borrow them and give them a read before you purchase, as it gets a bit exie!

Wood Butcher
31st October 2005, 08:07 PM
Forgot one

A Polishers Handbook by Neil Ellis of Ubeaut Enterprises :D

bitingmidge
31st October 2005, 08:58 PM
The Book of Liff by Douglas Adams.

Absolutely necessary for those days when nothing seems to go right!

P
:D

gazaly
31st October 2005, 11:30 PM
All for it, great call AM

Farm boy
1st November 2005, 07:50 AM
hi guys
the best book i have read on basics is
the encyclopedia of woodworking
by mark ramuz
great book to read
cheers
greg

Toasty
1st November 2005, 10:08 AM
For woodturning I highly recomend Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley

Luddite
1st November 2005, 08:18 PM
Andy, great idea....this thread may go on for ever, but here is my contribution;

1) The seven essentials of woodworking by Guidice, Anthony.
Excellent beginners book that you can use over and over again. He is a bit opinionated, and way too assertive, but hey, he is American. Well worth the price.
2) Making and mastering wood planes by Fink, David. This has to be my all time favourite book. It has many more useful things in it than just making a plane, in fact making the plane is almost secondary. It talks about tuning a block plane and a spoke shave, tells you how to make a really useful adjusting hammer, and generally talks you through the making of a plane with techniques discussed in the book. It is a must have.
3) Do you have a sick, perverted interest in handplanes like I do? This one will just about satisfy you! The Handplane Book by Garret Hack. Or, you could oggle the Fine Art of Tools by Nagyszalanczy, Sandor.
4) You have to subscribe to Australian Wood Review....lots to keep you reading, but i wish they would publish it weekly!
My only concern with this thread is how I buy all the suggestions from other members.
Anthony

stevebaby
1st November 2005, 10:57 PM
hi guys
the best book i have read on basics is
the encyclopedia of woodworking
by mark ramuz
great book to read
cheers
gregI've just borrowed it from someone at TAFE and it looks pretty good!
A couple more-Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking-Fred P. Bingham
One of my favourites-Tools of the Trade(The Art and Craft of Carpentry)-Jeff Taylor.He covers basic carpentry tools and how to use them,but the book is more of an autobiography,with a bit of philosophy about the importance of pride in workmanship.My most inspirational book.

I suppose that should be "workpersonship".

echnidna
2nd November 2005, 02:48 PM
I suppose that should be "workpersonship".

Is that to keep the "woperson" gender happy :D :D

keith53
2nd November 2005, 03:03 PM
I've found Mike Darlow's books on woodturning (with DVD) to be very helpful.

Cheers,
Keith

stevebaby
3rd November 2005, 04:11 AM
Is that to keep the "woperson" gender happy :D :DWhatever floats their boats.:)

stevebaby
3rd November 2005, 04:14 AM
I think a list of Forum member's favourite books or recommended reading is great resource to have here, as started by this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23029&page=1&pp=15
I haven't made an input, simply because the specific query was on a good basic book to get you started, and apart from the usual high school ones I don't know many! I have a good list of specific books like chairmaking, toolmaking and inspirational books too, so maybe this thread could be ordered into topics or cleaned up somewhat.
What do you all think? I'm willing to put one together if people want to add their selections....

Cheers,This is going to cost everyone a fortune @ Amazon.com:)

Andy Mac
8th November 2005, 11:07 PM
Righto folks, third time lucky posting this!:mad:

I have done a bit of collating of the book titles, as posted by you good people. It has meant some editing :o (mainly to save space, so please don't take it personally) and decided to drop the commentary, even though I think comments are valid...after all, taste in books is a fairly subjective thing. I will reinstate it if people think it adds value to the list. And have no doubt, I also added my recommendations!:rolleyes:
I have divided the list into headings. Please feel welcome to make additions to this list, which is by no means definitive, especially as there are areas on this Forum which I've left out (mainly because people didn't post pertinent publications) I really don't know how this should be done, probably can't edit the document "live", so maybe post suggestions and they will be collated at a later stage.
I will now try to attach this as a seperate document, as pasting it proved too large. (Apologies for wasting your time if it fails to appear below!)

Hope you enjoy:D

Wood Butcher
8th November 2005, 11:16 PM
Looks good Andy!!

I think I will be keeping a copy of this one for future reference,

Thanks to all of the contributers!!

derekcohen
14th November 2005, 02:42 PM
Andy

There needs to be separate sections to make reference easier. For example, separate power- and non-power handtools.

The list of books I posted do not appear to have been given much (any) relevance yet they are essential for non-power handtool use/interest.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=221093#post221093

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lignum
14th November 2005, 06:24 PM
Andy

There needs to be separate sections to make reference easier. For example, separate power- and non-power handtools.

The list of books I posted do not appear to have been given much (any) relevance yet they are essential for non-power handtool use/interest.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=221093#post221093

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dont wory Derek, Eric Orthwaites from my list wasnt included either:(

Andy Mac
14th November 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Derek.
Apologies for not including your books yet, it was an oversight:o. We'll include a Darkside category:D

Sorry Lignum, what category should they be in?

Cheers,

Andy Mac
15th November 2005, 09:56 AM
Latest version, with a seperate heading for Handtools, and I have started to reinstate Forum member's comments/reviews with each book. Hopefully this will add some meat, and help in the selection of books before buying!

Cheers,

Pat
15th November 2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive listing Andy. More books to spend my money on:D

ssgt
18th November 2005, 01:51 AM
Andy, a few more to add to your list of titles that I have found very helpful.
Making workbenches, Sam Allen
Success with Joints, Ralph Laughton
Classic Joints with Power tools, Yeung Chan
Mastering Woodworking Machines, Mark Duginske
Band Saw Handbook, Mark Duginske
Sharpening with Waterstones, Ian Kirby
The Art of Inlay , Larry Robinson
Build ing Cabinet Doors and Drawers, Danny Proulx
Marquetry and Inlay Handbook, Zachary Taylor
Router Joinery Workshop, Carol Reed
Complete Illustrated Guide to box Making , Doug Stowe (Taunton)
Box Making Basics, Freedman
Wood in Australia 2nd edition, Keith Bootle
The last title has to be the best book on timber and its uses ever printed, expensive (80 odd dollars) but a wealth of information on Australian timbers their properties and uses.
Congrats Andy on putting the list together, going to keep me poor getting some of the titles.

Andy Mac
18th November 2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks ssgt, I will add them to the document soon.
I love a good woodwork book, something to keep the interest up when you can't get to the shed! Its not often you find the good ones secondhand, or woodwork mags either. As a fraternity we must be hoarders!:)
Cheers,

Greg Q
19th November 2005, 12:13 AM
"Hand Tools-Their ways and workings"
by Aldren A. Watson

A very good explanation of how tools work, richly illustrated. One of my favourites.

Andy Mac
20th November 2005, 08:04 PM
Evening all,
Here's version 3, with recent additions as posted.

Cheers,

rond
22nd November 2005, 10:26 AM
My son picked me up a great book at a secondhand book store at Victor Harbour for [get this] $5 a couple of weeks ago
It's title is 'Woodturning a Manual of Techniques' by Hugh O'Neil
The ISBN number is 1-85223-483-1
It is probably available from the Local or State libraries. As a 'Newbie this was a great find. I do know that these type of books are pretty scarce in used book shops as a rule.

You never know your luck in a big city:)

coedcae
23rd November 2005, 09:57 AM
Just to make it more confusing Taunton the publisher of Fine Woodworking have a special on at the moment Save 30% untill 30th November 2005

Go to www.Taunton.com/Wood30

Hope someone finds something that will be of help. ;)

Might make some good reading on the summer holidays.:cool:

Peter D

Ps The cot is coming along be it slowly, but will have to speed up as the 1st grandson is just about to turn the timer off. :D :D

coedcae
23rd November 2005, 10:14 AM
Just picked up FWW Tools And Shops annual issue to see that they have another list of books less 30%. Offer starts 1st December to 29th December 05

www.Taunton.com/WoodTS

On the same page they have the:-
Commemorative Limited Edition of a Tage Frid Woodworking Classic
3 volume Slipcase Set with Bonus DVD Hardcover USD$89.95

May be of interest.

Peter D:)

Pat
23rd November 2005, 08:02 PM
Peter, the link did not work - Taunton's "Sorry,we didn't find what you ask for" page. Could try this link (http://www.taunton.com/store/index_fwbv.asp)

coedcae
24th November 2005, 09:29 AM
Pat,
I think the Site www.Taunton.com/WoodTS

has not been loaded yet as the specials don't start untill Dec 1.

This special starts the day after this one finishes:-

www.Taunton.com/Wood30

If I get a chance I will try to put some of the books listed for the Dec, Special on the forum.

Peter D

Clinton1
29th November 2005, 12:37 PM
"Wood in Australia", Type, Properties and Uses,K. Bootle, Second Edition,
Hardback - ISBN: 0074713124 - AU $89.95

"What Timber Will I Use?" The Essential Timber Guide for DIY, Renovators, Woodworkers and Students, John Stacpoole, Paperback - ISBN: 187575024X - AU $28.95

both from CSIRO Publishing - http://www.publish.csiro.au

Big Jim
5th December 2005, 03:07 PM
Briliant idea Andy! i just printed the current list so I can take it to the bookstore with me! I reckon you need a greenie for this!

JDub
7th December 2005, 02:12 PM
Yep thanks heaps,

As a relative newbie to woodworking Im sure that list will come in very handy!!! Good thing its almost xmas;)

Cheers
Joel

Pat
8th April 2006, 07:17 AM
A new book to me, Wood Joiners Handbook, Sam Allen, ISBN 0806969997. Explains a multitude of joins for both sides! (Darksiders and 'lectron burners)

Has anyone purchased the Tage Frid Set? Silly question, Is it worth it? Amazon has it for US 57 + postage. (The price for this set ranges from US 57 (Au78) throught to Au 168)

ss_11000
8th April 2006, 11:43 AM
another good book is turning pens and pencils by rex birmingham and kp christensen $35

Andy Mac
10th April 2006, 02:08 PM
I've just added some of the suggestions as posted by you good people!

Cheers,

Scally
10th April 2006, 08:31 PM
Pat
I find the Tage Frid books handy when ever I want to check out how to do anything to do with woodworking.

Explanations are clear and concise and the pics and drawings are easy to follow.

It is written in the style of a discussion which I find easy to read.

It is well worth having.

mickp
17th April 2006, 02:47 PM
great list andy, thank you. should be enough reading here to keep me happy & frustrated while I'm under orders to keep out of the shed

adil
15th March 2011, 01:49 AM
Dear Friends
The books you have mentioned are available with price , anyone having books in electronic/ soft form, kindly upload them and give there links here

bundle of thanks in advance

Me2
7th June 2020, 07:35 PM
I love Paul Sellers book the Essential Woodworking Hand Tools and his YouTube channel is great.