PDA

View Full Version : Turning Pens

gazaly
31st October 2005, 03:25 PM
I would like some quick and simple adivice.

I would like to turn a few pens for Xmas presents, but I don't have a lathe nor have I used one for about 20 years.

Would it be feasable to buy a cheapy lathe, such as a GMC, and teach myself to turn the pens, with a bit of practice, or is a difficult skill to master?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Sir Stinkalot
31st October 2005, 03:28 PM
Very easy to do .... a small cheap lathe will be fine.

Kev Y.
31st October 2005, 03:30 PM
you can also use your drill press to turn them, I have seen several articles in magazines over thepast few years

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2005, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't buy a small cheap lathe for pen turning without giving it the once-over and making sure it met minimum requirements. The primary one is that when the tailstock is brought up to the head, the centres meet accurately. A deviation of a few mm can cause a whole heap of problems that a newby really shouldn't have to cope with. Instead of being fun, it makes things a headache. Also, it should be able to take a morse-taper (a tapered hole down the centre of the headtock's driveshaft) to be able to take a pen-mandrel.

A good mini-lathe can be bought new for around the $500- mark. Ledacraft is one that pops to mind. If the budget won't stretch that far, a drill press is the better temporary option, don't waste your money on something you'll come to hate.

On another note, it's easy to turn out an acceptable pen. There'll be failures, but that's true of anything until you learn the basics... and where better to ask about them than the pen-turning forum? :D

gazaly
1st November 2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, very much appreciated.

OSCARWW
1st November 2005, 01:20 PM
See if you can find a Jet Mini Lathe..You do not need variable speed as this costs more...Go with the 6 speed version, as belt is easy to change if needed. Costs bout $250 US dollars. Can be extended to 40 inches if desired. All in all, a superb quality lathe for the price.....I also agree that if you do not wish to spend for a quality lathe at this time, use a drill press.....I use a company called Penn State industries for supplies as they are super. They sell a mandrell for a drill press for bout 20 dollars.... PENN STATE (http://www.pennstateind.com/)

Sprog
1st November 2005, 01:28 PM
You also need a higher speed for turning small items.

The Carbatec Micro lathe is ideal for pens and other small items

http://www.gtp.com.au/cgi-bin/icommerce3/order/formclassic.cgi?file=woodstock&display=495&id=MCE300

fxst
1st November 2005, 01:30 PM
See if you can find a Jet Mini Lathe..You do not need variable speed as this costs more...Go with the 6 speed version, as belt is easy to change if needed. Costs bout $250 US dollars. Can be extended to 40 inches if desired. All in all, a superb quality lathe for the price.....I also agree that if you do not wish to spend for a quality lathe at this time, use a drill press.....I use a company called Penn State industries for supplies as they are super. They sell a mandrell for a drill press for bout 20 dollars.... PENN STATE (http://www.pennstateind.com/)

Not real bright!!! :mad: to get it to Australia you have currency conversion, freight and taxes this end which makes it dearer again, then there is the problem and cost of returning it if it stuffs up plus the voltage difference.

you would think these septics would look at the location before hitting the enter key. :confused: but then most septics think the world revolves around them :D

Jim Carroll
1st November 2005, 03:06 PM
Make sure the lathe has a hollow headstock. The GMC does not.

darley
1st November 2005, 03:16 PM
Not real bright!!! :mad: to get it to Australia you have currency conversion, freight and taxes this end which makes it dearer again, then there is the problem and cost of returning it if it stuffs up plus the voltage difference.

you would think these septics would look at the location before hitting the enter key. :confused: but then most septics think the world revolves around them :D That rude comments, he try to help out smarty!

darley
1st November 2005, 03:21 PM
You also need a higher speed for turning small items.

The Carbatec Micro lathe is ideal for pens and other small items

http://www.gtp.com.au/cgi-bin/icommerce3/order/formclassic.cgi?file=woodstock&display=495&id=MCE300 this one is not to bad but for $ 2.00 more it would be better to buy the mini Jet, I got mine from Brisbane, Gazaly you should look in you town to see a Jet dealer, this lathe is good

bdar
1st November 2005, 09:37 PM
Hey Gazaly,

As said by others, if you are looking into a mini lathe make sure it has a morse taper in head and tail stock. I run a mini Carb-a-tec, Jet are a great lathe as well. Vicmarc is my favourite, one of the best, but not cheap if you are not sure if you will be serious with pen turning. On another reply, thank-you Oscarww for your input. Was your first posting, even though the info was based in the US, I think both Serge and myself that the knowledge that we have gained being members of the IAP has been very useful. Turning of finely crafted writing accessories is big business in the US. Try www.timbecon.com.au (http://www.timbecon.com.au) they are based in WA. Carn the Bombers :)

Darren

gazaly
1st November 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks all, as before much appreciated. All info is being taken into the equation and desisions will sooooooon be made :)

Oscarww, the jet Mini lathe isn't a model I'm looking at here in Aus (to many oxfords :eek: ), but the Jet Pen lathe is:

http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/jetpenlathe.html

Any comments?

Fxst, lighten up pal. You may think Oscarww's comments are:
not real brightbut your wit is pretty bloddy dim!

darley
1st November 2005, 10:11 PM
Hey Gazaly,

As said by others, if you are looking into a mini lathe make sure it has a morse taper in head and tail stock. I run a mini Carb-a-tec, Jet are a great lathe as well. Vicmarc is my favourite, one of the best, but not cheap if you are not sure if you will be serious with pen turning. On another reply, thank-you Oscarww for your input. Was your first posting, even though the info was based in the US, I think both Serge and myself that the knowledge that we have gained being members of the IAP has been very useful. Turning of finely crafted writing accessories is big business in the US. Try www.timbecon.com.au (http://www.timbecon.com.au) they are based in WA. Carn the Bombers :)

Darren

Correct Darren, Gazaly make sure you got a lathe with MT #2 and you will be all right, for the pens kits if you don't want spend to much look at GPW. http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/index.html there are quite good they post all over Australia, then when you progress I will let you know where I get my pen kits

darley
1st November 2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks all, as before much appreciated. All info is being taken into the equation and desisions will sooooooon be made :)

Oscarww, the jet Mini lathe isn't a model I'm looking at here in Aus (to many oxfords :eek: ), but the Jet Pen lathe is:

http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/jetpenlathe.html

Any comments?

Fxst, lighten up pal. You may think Oscarww's comments are: but your wit is pretty bloddy dim!

Don't touch this one MT #0, you will be limited only for pen
resale value is $ 0

La truciolara
1st November 2005, 10:24 PM
If you want to keep your lathe after Xmas... Lucky you as you are in australia, why don't yu buy the VICMARC VL 100.
(it is so good that I imported it up to Italy)
Merry woodturning

gazaly
1st November 2005, 10:43 PM
Don't touch this one MT #0, you will be limited only for pen
resale value is $ 0

Thanks Darley

darley
1st November 2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks Darley
You're welcome, better off to put the extra $ for somethings you can use for pens as well as mini turning, you will learn too that you never have enough tools :D , 3/4 of my tools are from the USA as I don't find them here in Australia and is not much expensive

soundman
2nd November 2005, 10:20 PM
Gaza the mini lathe is a great piece of kit if the walet will stretch that far. you should be able to get on to one for around $350---375 by the time you haggle. and it will do a hell of a lot more than pens. The little pen lathe is very cute and from what I hear a nice little item too. but you'll only do pens and similar small mandrel stuff.
both very portable.
I know a number of people with the jet mini as well as having one myself & I don't think you will regret it if you got one.
If you can't get hold of one in the west have a chat to Garry Pye himself & see waht sort of freight deal he can cut.

Timbecaon do a coppy of the jet mini but from what I hear its a reasoable coppy but not quite identical, if you get me.

Remember ther is always next year and birthdays, pens this year, key rings for birthdays, salt & pepper sets for weddings.........

cheers

fxst
3rd November 2005, 11:48 PM
Gaza if you can get to timbercon I suggest you look at the sherwood varispeed mini lathe. It has a No1 morse taper. I bought mine 3 years ago and am pleased with what it does I added a teknatool chuck and a jacobs drill chuck and made a carry set up with 3 drawers to carry the bits in. I had posted a pic of it probably earlier this year. Makes it portable and compact :D
Pete ( who has chilled out after a day on the water )

ijerry
10th September 2007, 12:01 AM
Try the Sherwood mini lathe from Timbecon (http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/mini-lathe-12604.aspx)in WA - they also do all the Working with Wood shows in most capital cities in Australia - they have a good website and mail order service. I picked up one for AUS$275 - and it has a morse #2 taper. The Timbecon guys were demo-ing pen turning on this lathe and I've just turned my first one

Matt88s
10th September 2007, 09:43 AM

you would think these septics would look at the location before hitting the enter key. :confused: but then most septics think the world revolves around them :D

WA is also a state over here in the US. Someone who didn't know all the towns in WA (US side) might not realize that Atwell, WA, was a town in Australia not in the US.

You would think these septics would consider this before letting go with both barrels at a Newby. :;

OSCARWW, large bold print in the computer world is liken to yelling in someones face and is likely to annoy a few people and return a few negative attitudes. Try using lighter normal text, you'll probably spend less time picking rock salt out of your hinnie.

By the way, Welcome to the board. :)

(p.s., does a septic mean something else in Aussieland? Over here its where all the poo goes, as in septic tank, I've never called anyone a septic before :q :U )

Gra
10th September 2007, 09:52 AM
(p.s., does a septic mean something else in Aussieland? Over here its where all the poo goes, as in septic tank, I've never called anyone a septic before )

Yeah a septic tank is where the Poo goes, it also rhymes with Yank. So you Americans get called septic tanks or septics for short... (Some think the term is accurate though:q:U)

There endeth the lesson in strine