PDA

View Full Version : Portable Table Saw

Scissors
31st October 2005, 07:01 PM
I have decided that it might be time to get a table saw, however, since I am a uni-student living in share-accom that changes address relatively frequently I need ultra-portability (and fold-away-ability).

So far my options seem to be a Triton WC or a Scheppach 315 GT.

Of course there is plenty of information available about the Triton, but I can't find anything much about the Scheppach. Anyone care to enlighten me? Any other options I have overlooked?

Budget $1000-1500

Bodgy
31st October 2005, 08:08 PM
Mate, things have changed since I was at school. Did you really say $1-1.5k budget?

For that you can get a really nice table saw and get the chaffuer to move it around.

Why are you limited to just the Sheppach as an alternative to the trusty, downhome, old faithful Triton?

Don't understand, or is this a wind-up?

Scissors
31st October 2005, 08:18 PM
Heh, not a wind-up. Obviously I would like to spend as little as possible, but that is the absolute maximum. I would rather spend this amount of money and not have a tool I hate. I would love to have a floor-standing table-saw, but alas I have no shed, permanent access to a garage, copious storage space, nor a chaffeur.

I limited it to the Sceppach because it was one of the few saws that takes a small amount of room when folded away. But as I said, I am definitely open to any other options.

Did you have to walk 15 miles through the snow to get to campus when you were a student? In bare feet too?

Bodgy
31st October 2005, 08:38 PM
Scissors

Sorry about the wind up. I did actually walk 3 miles to the bus, and yes, come winter it snowed, then the old man sent me away to board.

Go the second hand Triton. $200-400, truly portable and you get the bonus of the detachable saw for other uses.

Recommend the GMC saw, great value (others will disagree and have you spend the entire years tuition on a Festool blade only.)

You'll get change from even the bottom end of your budget. Go act like a normal student - cheap red wine, girls, bands and marijahoochie - I did and look where it's got me!

bashosfrog
31st October 2005, 09:25 PM
I've owned and used the Scheppach 315 for about a year. It's strictly a construction saw - the galvanised table isn't anything like flat and the fence will only set on a true vertical with the greatest care. That said, it's a great building saw - gutsy, robust, accurate on the horizontal and the sliding table. But if you plan to do any sort of fine work, go the Triton or a budget table saw.

Scissors
31st October 2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks, seems like it's definitely not what I am after then. Will probably go the triton route.

Just George
31st October 2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.triton.net.au/demos/index.html
Go to a demo and see the Triton Workcentre in action, you'll also see the router table.

An invitation to you and everyone, the Redcliffe and Districts Woodcraft Society is having their Open Day this Sunday, the 6th of November.

Woody

ian
31st October 2005, 11:52 PM
I have decided that it might be time to get a table saw, however, since I am a uni-student living in share-accom that changes address relatively frequently I need ultra-portability (and fold-away-ability).

So far my options seem to be a Triton WC or a Scheppach 315 GT.

Budget $1000-1500Only because space and potability is a premium and your budget is what it is ...
Check out the Festool saw and table options.
http://www.festool.com.au/cat_mediando/images/products/cat_mft800fs_p3f_1.jpg + http://www.festool.com.au/cat_mediando/images/products/hksp_ts55ebq_01_01.jpg

or

http://www.festool.com.au/cat_mediando/images/products/cat_basis_set1a_p3f_1.jpg

I no longer use my Triton MK3 (I'd sell to you if you were in Sydney), as I now have access to a proper table saw. However, I use a Festo saw and guide rail for breaking down sheet material and cross cutting wide panels. I can't fault the Festo set-up for wide crosscuts or cutting sheet goods, I'd need to build a cross-cut sled to cut as well on the table saw.

In my opinion, if space and potability are your primary objectives, a Triton will take up too much space. You would be better off with a bench (which could double as a side board or breakfast table when not being used for woodworking) and hand tools.

ian

silkwood
2nd November 2005, 10:20 PM
I purchased a Festool Basis 1A (saw and bench) precisely because I have to have portability but I like quality and accuracy. I use it in conjunction with the guide rail system. Can't fault it. Next year I'll have my NEW SHED!!(oh, and a new house). I plan to mount the table semi-permanently into an extended table system. Problem is, I think it's a little over your budget. I've used the Triton system and I think you be well pleased with it, value and performance wise.

Cheers,