PDA

View Full Version : Extending a Drill press

smidsy
31st October 2005, 08:48 PM
Hei Guys,
I have a 1/3HP Ryobi drill press that is a tad short for the mortice attachment I want to put on it.
Can I just extend the upright pipe?
Cheers
Paul

normell
31st October 2005, 08:58 PM
Yep, I turned a bench pedestal into a floor mounted one

Bodgy
31st October 2005, 09:00 PM
Had the same experience. Decided that the set-up was not up to the forces involved, even if I mikked up the attachment.

I bought a dedicated morticer, sorry.

gazaly
31st October 2005, 09:50 PM
How'd ya do it Normell?

9Fingers
1st November 2005, 03:56 AM
If you're planing of doing even a moderate amount of mortice work you should really consider a dedicated machine. The Delta 14-651 Professional Bench Top Mortising Machine is selling on amazon for $230(us). It comes with 4 chisels. I recommend it because I love my own. When I tallied the cost of the attachment for my drill press and additional chissels it made sense to buy the dedicated machine.

anthonyd
1st November 2005, 08:44 AM
Unfortunatly amazon doesn't ship tools outside of the US!:mad:

Zed
1st November 2005, 09:03 AM
Unfortunatly amazon doesn't ship tools outside of the US!:mad:

plenty of tools that need shipping on this board :D

Zed
1st November 2005, 09:04 AM
but seriously, can I suggest that a floor mounted drill press (full height) aint that much more expensive...may be worthwhile upgrading....

I personnaly have the delta HD full height model - luverly juberly!!

soundman
2nd November 2005, 11:13 PM
one other option is to bolt the base down good and spin the whole head round 180 deg. That will probably clear the rear of the base.
now build a shelf off the back at the right height.

E. maculata
2nd November 2005, 11:44 PM
I've had the same little 1/2 hp CIG(remember them?) drill press for 15-16 years, never missed a beat, so when I needed more room I got some steam pipe of very similar O/D and turned the top 100mm down to suit the head of the drill press and slightly bored the tables' collar to slide on the pipe. Did this a few moons ago works fine for me, and I do some reasonably heavy work with it, but only drilling.

Termite
3rd November 2005, 10:24 AM
Smidsy, I think you may be asking a bit much of your Ryobi to run a mortice attachment. I sincerely suggest a Delta morticer, I got mine from Carbatec at the Sydney WW show for $349.00, I think they go for about $399.00.
I'd hate to see you spend time and money only to be less than satisfied with the result.

stephenmeddings
3rd November 2005, 02:21 PM
Hi smidsy, Dad has a similair machine and was talking about doing this. But before I could talk him into getting a new floor mounted version he went and did it. He had to get some pipe and take it to an engineer to get it machined to a constant diameter that would fit the head. Once done it just slotted in (replacing the old one). Works well. Think it cost him $100 or so. I still think it would have better to get a new one.

Stephen

mkemila
3rd November 2005, 03:40 PM
2) cheese is for eating not moving around the office!

says who?