PDA

View Full Version : Simple Chuck Mounted Drive Centre

doragus
9th November 2019, 04:55 PM
Hi
I’ve come up with a simple chuck mounted drive centre that works well for blanks that are too large for a spur centre and too thin for face plate screws or wood worm screws. It is much simpler and faster to mount the blank than using glue blocks (and I don’t have to worry about the glue letting go if there is a catch). I haven’t seen anything similar on the web and thought it might be useful for others.
I’ve been using these for some time and I haven’t had any problem with holding the work. I have used just some scrap wood for the ones I am using and they are starting to suffer a bit from hammering into the blanks so when I next make one I’ll use timber as hard as I can find. The pins are just nails cut to size.
These drives are simple to make and you only need your lathe, a drill and a hacksaw or something to cut the pins. I’ve used two part epoxy to fix the pins but I think a medium or thick CA would work as well. Try to drill the exact depth for the pins as they are more secure if they are seated in the drill hole.
The centre pin is slightly thicker than the edge pins and it protrudes a little further so it’s easy to find centre.
Worth a try.

Uncle Al
9th November 2019, 06:40 PM
Thanks for posting this. Easy enough to make, and would be handy when using soft or punky wood between centres.

Alan...

Nubsnstubs
10th November 2019, 12:50 AM
Hey Novice, you have shown you're willing to invent a tool to overcome an obstacle incurred while turning. That's good for you and other turners you know. I'm not being disrespectful, but you are over nine years late, though. I don't know when, but Vermec Tools has one in metal. I believe it only had 4-5 drive screws like yours, but much thinner. If you can find it, please post a link to it. Their products page doesn't show it.

In August 2010, I invented what I call a Chuck Plate. I believe there are now at least 3 of them in Australia.

Check out the video posted of what it is. To keep you from being totally bored, you only need to watch the first 4 minutes of a 46 minute video. If you would like to subscribe to my channel, please do. I need as many subscribers as possible to keep me enthused about posting more.
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88a03QpFYys&list=UUNbQdo6Eey57sGg1jy04_zQ&index=32)

Like you, I made mine in wood at first, then after realizing it's potential, I made it in Aluminum using set screws for an adjustment. If you have access to a machine shop, your best bet is to make it in metal because it will last forever. If you're willing, you could make it on your wood lathe using oil at each cut. It's really simple, and you already know it's worth.

Go to my website Wood Turning Tools | Tucson | WoodTurners WorkHolding Solutions (http://www.woodturnerstools.com) for a couple more videos. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

doragus
10th November 2019, 10:34 AM
Thanks Jerry. Great minds think alike...some just take a bit longer to get there. Your chuck is much more refined and I wish I had the tools to make a metal one like it but I can see some potential to improve my wooden version with some of your innovations. Thanks again. Chris

NCPaladin
10th November 2019, 11:53 AM
The Elio Safe Drive came out about 2008 and was similar.
The idea has been around a long time .... at least 150 years.
Page is from Hand & Simple Turning published 1881. See figure 192 and descriptive text.
But you did re-invent it so just as good.
Maybe use tee-nuts (T-Nuts) at different diameters and just move the "pins" to the diameter you need?

doragus
10th November 2019, 12:58 PM
Thanks Paladin. Looks like Solomon was right when he said "the thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." I like the look of the Taper Fluted Chuck and I'm going to see if I can make one of those.
Chris

turnerted
10th November 2019, 01:59 PM
I have one of the Vermec chuck mounts and hardly ever use it .The easiest to mount something like this , provided the face is reasonably flat , is just to jamb mount it between the face of your chuck and live centre .
Ted

Pat
10th November 2019, 02:16 PM
I also have the Vermec Drive Dog and have been meaning to put up a pic.

Nubsnstubs
10th November 2019, 02:26 PM
The reason I invented, or rather re-invented the Chuck Plate is 97-99% of the stuff I turn doesn't have a single flat spot on it. The reason I made my first CP is the piece I wanted to turn, Cholla Cactus skeleton, didn't have a center. So I made a plate with a bunch of drywall screws sticking out of it to catch around the edge. The live center held it in at the tailstock. Today, I would use a plug sized to the hole in the center and one of my live centers. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Nubsnstubs
10th November 2019, 02:33 PM

Pat, is it possible for you to take and post a picture of the back of it. I would really appreciate it. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Pat
10th November 2019, 03:13 PM
Hello Jerry, the reverse.

doragus
10th November 2019, 04:43 PM
I have one of the Vermec chuck mounts and hardly ever use it .The easiest to mount something like this , provided the face is reasonably flat , is just to jamb mount it between the face of your chuck and live centre .
Ted
Thanks Ted I wish! Most of the stuff I turn is "precision" cut with a cheap "I need to be sharpened" electric chainsaw. "Flat" is something I sometimes get after mounting and initial turning. Also, I have to admit I have never been game to just jam stuff up against the chuck but I'll have to give it a shot if you recon its OK.
Chris

Pat
10th November 2019, 05:28 PM
Doragus, a suitable size forstner bit will create a "flat" for the chuck jaws to register against.

Richard Hodsdon
10th November 2019, 06:26 PM
Doragus'
Have a look at the one Al Stirt www.alstirt.com (http://www.alstirt.com/)) for what he calls his Bowl Driver (
www.alstirt.com › NewBowlDriver1 (http://www.alstirt.com/PDF%20files/NewBowlDriver1.pdf)) which is an modification of yours. It has adjustable pins which allow the unevenly cut blank to pivot on the centre point and still have the outer drive points adjusted to bite into the blank and drive it. Your precision Chainsaw cutting is no longer such a problem.

Richard

doragus
10th November 2019, 09:02 PM
DUUUUUH! Thanks Pat. I was too dumb to think of using the Forstner. God tip.
Also thanks Richard. I like the Al Stirt idea and it's simple enough for me to knock one up.
Chris

Paul39
11th November 2019, 04:25 AM
I made a 6 inch round of hardwood to fit in the chuck with a flat face which has foam tape holding a piece of 36m grit sand paper. I use it to jam roughly flat pieces against with the tail center to flatten or make a spigot to grab in the chuck. I also have made a variety of the above chuckable drive centers. I see above that many minds run in the same ditch.

NeilS
11th November 2019, 09:44 AM

I also have one, but I can no longer see them on the Vermec website, but from my experience Enzo will do one-offs if you give him a call.