PDA

View Full Version : New foot required for a french day bed - Perth

Newbie57
10th December 2019, 10:33 PM
Hi

I acquired a french day bed but it needs a new foot. One of them has broken off, so I am wondering if there is a woodturner prepared to make a new one for me? I am not sure what timber the bed was made of, and I am thinking of giving the timber a coat with boiled linseed oil.

Thoughts? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

derekcohen
10th December 2019, 10:43 PM
That would be carved, not turned.

You could have a go yourself. If good, then splice it on the end.

The question is "what is the timber?".

Regards from Perth

Derek

woodPixel
11th December 2019, 12:46 AM
Following. This would make a good project.

It's called a Boston claw foot. Funnily enough I was reading about them only yesterday. There are a thousand variants, but the maker was going into great detail as to why it was a "Boston" and not the other one (of a slightly different area, but the name eludes me atm).

Let me find the article and post it.

Edit 1 - this is a video showing production.

https://youtu.be/32x4JaygO6k

Also, there is a page describing the various styles. I'll find that too.

Newbie57
11th December 2019, 08:05 AM
Thanks for replying Derek. I have no idea as to the timber. The day bed or bench is I think fairly old, not that that helps. I wouldnt give it a go myself, as I have absolutely no idea where to start. Whatever timber would be used, it would ideally need to grey like this has.

woodPixel
11th December 2019, 04:10 PM
Is this piece of furniture worth something? I've absolutely no idea...

IF it isn't, it will be a costly repair. Not from a materials perspective, but one of time.

-- Using one of the undamaged legs, the craftsman will copy that
-- Then it will be spliced on in a manner that either hides it, or makes it apparent its a repair
-- A bit of grime, paint, heat and distressing will disguise it according to skill

Unless the legs are removable (doubt it!) then it will need to be a local repair. Shipping would be ... prohibitive.

It definitely would be a repair needing the couch, no way it could be done remotely. :(

What do others think?

Newbie57
12th December 2019, 09:21 AM
To be honest I am not sure of its value. I was told it is old, and certainly it appears that this is so. The repair could be costly..but what is costly exactly?

woodPixel
12th December 2019, 12:34 PM
Do you have the part that broke off?

auscab
12th December 2019, 09:39 PM
Its called a french style scroll foot . And its a ugly bad attempt at carving one . Lacks the proportion and style of a quality period piece . The white powdery look and specially the way the patina has worn off to reveal a lighter stained up wood underneath mean it has the look of a typical Indo bodge job from the 80s.

Most period versions of such a foot would be Walnut , cherry , Chesnut , Oak, Beech. 18 th Century City ones in quality Mahogany .

Indo repro ones are things like Teak or lightweight cheap Mahogany's .

Roughly
The real deal would be a $600 job to repair .
The Indo job would be a $600 job to repair.

To repair, a splice join needs to be done higher up . Long and strong . The slightly over size blank is glued on and the outline of the leg re cut the way normal cab legs are cut . Scrolls re drawn on and re carved on the job . If the frame was in pieces then the leg could be repaired on the bench or a whole new leg made and fitted if it was bad enough . Just a foot and carving while still a part of the frame is a just a little harder .

:) Rob

Newbie57
12th December 2019, 11:06 PM
Gosh I wish I did. No I dont.

Newbie57
13th December 2019, 01:08 AM
465658465659 Needs recovering and its solid.

woodPixel
13th December 2019, 02:24 AM
Thats quite a job.

All quite do-able though.

Any Perth takers?

Newbie57
13th December 2019, 09:08 AM
Does it look to you to be a cheap imitation of a french made day bed?

auscab
13th December 2019, 06:37 PM
Does it look to you to be a cheap imitation of a french made day bed?

Yes it does . Nothing unusual about that though . Its probably the most copied furniture ever . You see it from the 1980s 90s
1960s . 50s 20s 1880s and probably all in between as well .
You see Indonesian , Singapore , Egyptian , French of course, and ? more made versions of reproduced French furniture.

Plenty of the repro stuff is rough . Specially the carving .
The original 2 to 300 year old stuff can be sort of rough in a provincial 18th c way too but its way way better . The original city stuff is finer again .
Amazing stuff .