PDA

View Full Version : The pain and suffering of recycling timber

Wongo
26th December 2019, 04:02 PM
Just finished this outdoor cabinet to keep all the bits and pieces. I think the timbers are Red Gum and Ironbark. It stands 3m tall, 1m wide and 0.4m deep. I has 2 coats of waterbased poly.

It's hard work removing the nails, screws, staples, paint, cement and plaster, and it is certainly not worth it to pay a couple of grands for the wood. All I can say is I have well and truly done my bit to recycle timber.

466195 466196 466197 466198

Chief Tiff
26th December 2019, 04:34 PM
Well done, it looks fantastic!

AlexS
26th December 2019, 05:58 PM
Well done, Scott. You need a good metal detector. A jointer will find nails that none of the others will.:D

Wongo
26th December 2019, 07:25 PM
Well done, Scott. You need a good metal detector. A jointer will find nails that none of the others will.:D

Thanks Alex. I was very lucky this time I didn't get any.

labr@
27th December 2019, 08:40 AM
Nails and screws can be a pain and removal often causes timber damage but it's paint that I have the most trouble with. Anyhow, in this case the effort is well and truly justified by the finished product.

auscab
27th December 2019, 12:51 PM
OMG what an effort . Nice work .
What did you do to split the wood down ? Bandsaw or Table saw?
All that panel and frame , is it Domino jointed or Cope and stick. The back looks the same construction !
Must be one solid cabinet !
And all that Flatness. Did you Buzz and thickness flat then random orbital sand ?

Rob

IanW
27th December 2019, 01:01 PM
A pretty good effort for sure! Not only have you got the panels impressively flat you've gone to some trouble to match grain patterns. Rather elegant outdoor furniture....
:U
Cheers,

Wongo
27th December 2019, 02:42 PM
Not only have you got the panels impressively flat you've gone to some trouble to match grain patterns.

Wongo
27th December 2019, 02:46 PM
OMG what an effort . Nice work .
What did you do to split the wood down ? Bandsaw or Table saw?

Tablesaw

All that panel and frame , is it Domino jointed or Cope and stick.

Domino

The back looks the same construction !

Correct

Must be one solid cabinet !

Correct

And all that Flatness. Did you Buzz and thickness flat then random orbital sand ?

Jointer & thicknesser

Rob