PDA

View Full Version : Dmt diamond plates discoloured after one use

duncada
9th January 2020, 06:10 PM
Hi all

I bought a couple of dmt diamond plates recently and after one use they have discoloured quite alot (rusty colour). Is this typical? And are there are recommendations of how to clean these up?

elanjacobs
9th January 2020, 08:05 PM
Soap and water should clean them up.

Make sure they are rinsed with clean water after use to clear off any steel particles from the sharpening process and allow them to dry fully before putting them away. I've never had a spot of rust on mine after many years and I only ever use water, both for cleaning and sharpening.

scuzyboy
9th January 2020, 08:14 PM
I always clean my plates with Ajax and stiff plastic brush after every use if you leave sworf on they look rusty. Also use winded as a cutting fluid evaps faster but better cut with them.
Peter

justonething
9th January 2020, 08:28 PM
Bar keepers friend (https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/bar-keepers-friend-cleaner-polish-powder).

orraloon
11th January 2020, 11:22 AM
As the others have said clean and dry them after use. I use cheap window wash spray when sharpening. After use they get another good squirt and wiped off with paper towel.
The stain will not affect performance and should fade away over time if you clean them every tine you use them.
Regards
John

duncada
21st January 2020, 10:02 AM
Thanks all for the tips. Much appreciated

Ben Dono
26th January 2020, 09:29 AM
I use turps as a cutting fluid on the eze lap stones. Everything stays clean and turps flashes off slow enough so it's not an issue. My oldest one is 20+ years now and it still gets very regular use. The only time I ever got rust on mine was when using water. Had I cleaned the stone after use, I doubt any rust would have formed.