PDA

View Full Version : Hollows and rounds

taz01
10th January 2020, 09:24 PM
Hi all,

I've a project coming up where a pair of no6 hollow and round planes would be useful.

As buying new is expensive, has anyone here made these types of molding planes?

Regards,

Adam

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Chief Tiff
10th January 2020, 09:55 PM
They often come up on Ebay and flea markets for about $20 each. One issue though is that I believe the sizings weren’t standardised so that what you consider to be a size 6 may be different between manufacturers.

Making a basic set is on my “things to do”/bucket list but I’ll probably cheat and make them by laminations. There are free plans available online for traditional ones as well.

auscab
10th January 2020, 10:44 PM
Buying old is a lot cheaper than making if your counting your time as being worth a good rate. I made one once, I found a single moulding plane was about 7 hours work as a one off.

That was copying the exact style of an old 18tc century one . Just a working user not following traditional lines and open on one side would be faster and work for you .

If you think you will have a need for them again then sets of round and hollows come up all the time on UK Ebay .
Ive got a R&H set within reach above my bench . As well as side beads, rebates , and interesting cabinet makers moulders.
The R&H , side beads and rebates are all good time savers and allow stuff to be done that cant be done in other ways. specially the R&H.

taz01
10th January 2020, 11:08 PM
Thanks chief.

I've found an article in pop woodworking (April'16) which covers the traditional method. If you want a copy just

Do you know what would be a good timber to use for these? With aussie timbers harder than US/UK ones I would need to use something different than the suggestions in the article.

Regards,

Adam

taz01
10th January 2020, 11:31 PM
Thanks Auscab,

Ill keep my eyes open, hoping that collectors don't push up the prices too much.

auscab
10th January 2020, 11:59 PM
There's good old imported Beech available which is what they were all made from in UK .

auscab
11th January 2020, 12:14 AM
Here's a fresh looking small part of a set . Works out at $45 ea I think . I just doubled the cost for a rough idea.

There's a Sydney hand Tool club that has swap meets . Go there for $20 planes.

8 E. Preston & Sons Hollows and Rounds, 2 Matched Pairs (No.2 & No.6) | eBay

(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-E-Preston-Sons-Hollows-and-Rounds-2-Matched-Pairs-No-2-No-6/174150357473?hash=item288c2b91e1:g:6q8AAOSwx5VeFxEZ)