PDA

View Full Version : Outside school benches

dan_tom
3rd November 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone

We made up a couple of benches for the local school (see what happens when your mate is a teacher??!! - we don't even have kids that go there!!). Just wondering what people think would be the best finish on them, considering that they will be outside and suffering the Brisbane weather. We were thinking of using a tung oil estapol mix (like they use on floors, comes in a tin pre mixed).

The timber is an Aussie hardwood, not sure of the type, came out of a pack we got from Mullumbimby woodworks.

The other option is gloss water based varnish (it's what we have downstairs!). We normally finish our stuff in waxes and oils, but considering kids will be sitting, jumping and sticking chewing gum to them, think we need something tougher for this job!

Cheers
Dan

Auld Bassoon
3rd November 2005, 07:07 PM
Titanium veneer?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Gumby
3rd November 2005, 07:35 PM
Teflon ;)

Bodgy
3rd November 2005, 07:36 PM
You'd be better off oiling them. It will have to be regularly refreshed, but in my experience, no Estapol, varnish, poly or whatever will last. The sun kills all these finishes despite the manufacturers propaganda. Then you gotta scrape off what's left to re-do the finish.

knucklehead
3rd November 2005, 07:58 PM
I know it will break your heart but maybe it should be painted.

An oil based paint will give good protection from the weather and abuse.

ozwinner
3rd November 2005, 08:14 PM
If its a high school, spit and other juices.

If a primary school, sweet sticky stuff.

Get em used to their new enviroment.

Al :D

Ianab
3rd November 2005, 09:08 PM
oil them and donate a can of oil to be used by anyone on detention duty :)

That way they can be oiled every couple of days and will NEVER have a chance to rot :D

johnc
3rd November 2005, 10:28 PM
I'm afraid I'd go for paint. If any oil goes on to soon to the start of school you will have parents up in arms with stains on clothing. Chances are no one will re oil anyway until the timber is weathered. The kids will not give a stuff, jumped on, written on, gouged and otherwise put to good use, remember what it was like?

John

echnidna
3rd November 2005, 10:37 PM
We've got a chainsaw carved statue in the scout camp with a clear finish which is still in great condition despite being out in the bush for 10 or 12 years or so.

Theres a tin of intergrain in the shed so I reckoon thats what its finished with.
I'd give it a try as you could always paint over it down the track if necessary