PDA

View Full Version : Some ones got to build it!

scottyk
3rd November 2005, 10:19 PM
Thought you guys might be interested.
Hull is King Billy, cold moulded.
I'm about eighteen months into it now and dont ask me how much longer!
She keeps me busy and gives me an excuse to go out to the shed and think of Fair winds etc........
She's a Waller 5.4 Hull, I plan to run a different ring but apart from that she'll be tru to plan.
What to ya think?

scottyk
3rd November 2005, 10:22 PM
excuse typos in last,I build boats, dont spel vary wel......

DavidG
3rd November 2005, 10:30 PM
Now that I call nice. :D
Good work.

Wongo
4th November 2005, 09:27 AM
Beautiful

John Kinnane
4th November 2005, 04:38 PM
Hope you keep the photos coming Scotty, looks great. Where could we find out more on that design

scottyk
4th November 2005, 05:18 PM
Mike Waller Yachts. Chech out his sight, more photos of other boats.

I would like to put more photos on this site but they take time to reduce to the right size. If any body wants some more send me a PM with an email address and I would be happy to.

Auld Bassoon
4th November 2005, 05:27 PM
Hi ScottyK!

What can I say? I'ts a boat; it's wooden - and she looks lovely alreadyhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

I hope that you're going to either expoxy or plain varnish the hull?

Do you plan to make your own spars as well?

I'd be really interested in seeing more pice as work progresses.

Cheers

echnidna
4th November 2005, 05:51 PM
A good name for it would be "Passion"

ozwinner
4th November 2005, 05:55 PM
Ok, Ill ask

Whats with the glad wrap on the boat? :confused:
Why all the tissues in the boat, you been crying? :D
Ya make a nice boat and then fill it with Selleys no more gaps?? :rolleyes:

Nice boat too.

Al :)

Wild Dingo
4th November 2005, 09:17 PM
Bloody hell Scotty!! :eek: I can see a good long friendship starting here by gar!! :cool:

Mike Waller does do a nice hull design doesnt he? I was looking longingly at his trailer sailer cat for a long while... may just have to go back and have another look ;)

I WILL see you shortly... then you will have to clean up all the drool I leave behind after my visit!! :D :D

Now I know why you are after the jarrah!! :cool:
Cheers!!

graemet
4th November 2005, 09:31 PM
Scotty,
I've not tried cold moulding but it sure makes a nice looking hull, none of these floating boxes with corners! How many plies thick did you make her? I know that King Billy is very light, but did you have to use thicker plies to get the strength, or did you glass her? The interior joinery looks great.
Cheers,
Graeme.

scottyk
5th November 2005, 02:11 AM
Scotty,
I've not tried cold moulding but it sure makes a nice looking hull, none of these floating boxes with corners! How many plies thick did you make her? I know that King Billy is very light, but did you have to use thicker plies to get the strength, or did you glass her? The interior joinery looks great.
Cheers,
Graeme.

Two layers 4mm thick, one layer on the outside of of 200gm/sqm biaxial glass cloth. A bit of strength is achieved in the glass and alot of ding/dent protection!
Could moulding does give a very nice finish and beats strip planking for weight control. One downer though, labour. My count for staples was 15,000 all driven using a hand stapler and removed using 1/4" chisel and nips. Fairing also takes some time.......I hate long boards! She'll definently be painted on outer hull and clear interior finish all round.
So much interest in this first thread on her I might just have to get motivated on the PC and put some more pics on WF for you.

scottyk
5th November 2005, 02:26 AM
and here they are......

Wild Dingo
5th November 2005, 02:29 AM
So much interest in one post??? Mate!! you dare post a thread about the boat youve been building for 18 MONTHS with just 4 pics and dont expect our interest to be twigged??? I mean mamamaMAATE!! ;)

She looks like she could be a wet ride though... and I thought Id nick a couple of pics from Mikes site to show what your building ;)

And now Im again looking at his site Ive found that ruddy cat that keeps trying to bite me!! :rolleyes: wonder how the missus would feel about me buyin a set?? nah bedda not!! :eek:

Cheers! :cool:

Oi!! I wasnt expectin that!!... so okay you now have my interest... Ive been watchin learning reading and listening for some years now about boatbuilding and have begun 2 boats in recent times not got too far but started :rolleyes: but Ive got to ask... whats with the blue strips on the moulds in the first pic? or is it between the first and second layer and why?

Auld Bassoon
5th November 2005, 07:30 PM
Hi Scotty!

I still think it would be a shame to paint a hull that lovely!

Cheers!

MWaller
29th November 2005, 11:01 AM
Nice Job Scotty: She looks excellent.

Mike W.

bitingmidge
29th November 2005, 11:06 AM
Nice of you to poke your head in too Mike, hope we see more of you!!

Cheers,

P
:D

Potterage
3rd December 2005, 09:05 AM
HI scotty nice looking job, makes me a bit envious as you can see by my posts I am still finishing the hull, I like the idea packing straps under the staples does this help removing them? Potterage

scottyk
9th December 2005, 11:40 AM
Packing Strap helps in removal and stops the dents from the staples being to deep. I bought 1000m of the stuff at the start because thats all they sold it in, didnt think I would use that much but.....had to by more.
She has moved along quite a bit lately, I will post more pics when my home net connection is up again.
regards

scottyk
2nd February 2006, 10:40 PM
Some updated ones for you all. Cabin sides are in as you can see. The cabin top is cold muolded like the hull but using second hand Cedar, some of the pice from the stern show the frame work that will be removed after the top is finished. The hatch will be cut out of the complete deck and used as the hatch......thats the plan any way!
So thats where she's at, aquanting with my old friend the long board again!
Scotty

Boatmik
3rd February 2006, 08:22 AM
Great looking work!

Glad to hear about your best friend too! ie the longboard.

That will make sure it is a good job!

A nice fair hull is in the sanding
A good paintjob is also in the sanding.

Keep up the good work

Michael

bennylaird
3rd February 2006, 08:30 AM
Weak at the knees just looking at her, great project.

Nice to see the supervisor is keeping an eye on things. I have four of them but they argue the points and then run after each other to prove who is right. Dogs make great mates, woof. Never had one tell me I couldn't afford a new tool as long as he gets his tucker that is.:rolleyes:

DPB
3rd February 2006, 08:40 AM
As for a name - I'd call her "Stradivarius" :)

Boatmik
3rd February 2006, 11:19 AM
As for a name - I'd call her "Stradivarius" :)

I know what you mean, but maybe it is not a good name for something you put in the water.

MIK

Old Codger
29th April 2006, 10:33 PM
she looks real good scotty. That cabin must have taken some working out but looks great

scottyk
17th November 2006, 12:40 AM
new pics for every ones comment, cabin is finished and all is ready to to seal the interior and then deck her.
slowly, slowly
Scotty

Daddles
17th November 2006, 09:06 AM
Looking very nice. You've been a busy pussycat - there's a lot of work in there.

Done much standing around just touching things? :D

Richard

scottyk
17th November 2006, 08:03 PM
between standing around looking at it and trying to find the bloody pencil in my shed, i'm flat out just getting anything done to it.

Old Codger
17th November 2006, 09:05 PM
go to office works and buy a box of 2h pencils

DavidG
17th November 2006, 10:08 PM
I think I just drooled into my Kbd.:D
That is NICE............

ivanavitch
23rd November 2006, 10:51 PM
I thought forum rules forbade pictures. These piccies must be close to .

Shedhand
23rd November 2006, 11:42 PM
Mate, I'm not a boat builder but you really can't paint King Billy. I got some nice boards in my shed waiting for a moment of inspiration but whatever I do I won't be painting it. Sacrilege.
Nice boat BTW. :)

scottyk
24th November 2006, 11:33 AM
Only paint on the outside, inside will still be clear finish. I dont want to spend the rest of my weekends after I finish repairing a clear finished exterior.
Scotty

scottyk
13th January 2007, 02:59 PM
Time for another update.
Got some Teak of a mate who was going to make picture frames out of it! I quickly talked him out of it and convinced him to give it to me!
The deck will go on the cockpit floor so I basically fitted a piece of 6mm ply to the shape it had to go in and then marked about 15mm in from the edge which will hopefully be the right amount for a fillet when it goes in.
The I took the ply base out and started to glue strips down using Epoxy, I wiped all the Teak down with thinners to get some of the oils out of the stuff in the hope it will stick, just used screws with big washers and tongue from chip board flooring for spacers. These worked really well as spacer as the dont stick to epoxy.
I decided to use the Gougeon Brothers method os a Graphite powder epoxy mix to fill the gaps and then just sanded it all off. In the pictures I have just filled the last few voids, hence the black goop on the deck.
Now I just have to put it in the boat.
Scotty

Ramps
16th January 2007, 12:26 AM
Wow
Scotty I haven't got to comment on your boat all I can say is WOW.

I think I'll crawl back into my box and get my head down before I report on anymore boat building (OK canoe building) you put me to shame :B

I'd love to be at the launch ... I know, I know ... it's rushing it a bit but just the thought of it ... keeps you going really... I mean you can stop and look at the beauty anytime but just thinking of it floating; hang on SAILING just gives you goose bumps doesn't it.

Better take after Dingo and mop up as I leave:B

onthebeachalone
17th January 2007, 03:34 PM
She's looking great, Scotty!

Teak deck a real bonus.

I'd be interested to know if any of the bulkeads were included as part of the original moulds, or have they all been added later? Very neatly done! :2tsup:

scottyk
21st January 2007, 12:39 PM
In answer to the above question, I had to fit all the bulkheads and didnt get any precut stuff. I used a pattern and a toggle stick to transfer it to full sheet to be cut. This seemed to work ok, always a bit of a tricky job though.
Scotty

meerkat
28th January 2007, 02:13 PM
mmmm dunno what to say .. I'm envious... jealous, damn only if...

Great work bud. :2tsup:

scottyk
31st January 2007, 10:52 PM
Just some update pics again, laid deck has been installed along with all other deck pieces.
Getting to the exciting stage!
Notice spinaker pole in place for my own inspiration/motivation!
Ideas, feedback?
Scotty

Nanigai
11th February 2007, 12:19 AM
Really nice job Scotty. :2tsup:

I have been watching your progress for a while now and I'm sure you will be happy with using it when she's finished. I'm sure there will be a lot of jealous sailors about when you take her out, especially if they only have "tupperware' boats. :U

I know you will enjoy the experience, good luck.

Ian

catbuilder
2nd March 2007, 09:11 PM
Scotty

Thats the absolutly the best thing I've seen for quite a long time. I've just recieved the study plans for the 5.4, and now I'm almost 100% convinced its the way to go, but you've set the bar pretty high.

Its been a little while since any news of progress, what the latest? I need to know!

Regards

Matt

scottyk
6th March 2007, 02:15 PM
Have sent you a PM Cat so I can send you the bulk of the pics with out the restrictions of the forum. As far as updated ones, there ain't much to see at the moment, alot of fiberglass tape going on the corners and then alot of sanding/filling. I have just started studying part time as well as work, so poor boat is feeling a bit negleted.
Scotty

Heathen574
6th March 2007, 03:05 PM
It looks awesome, I love the teak decking.
How long does the average boat building project last I wonder?

Ramps
7th March 2007, 09:56 PM
It looks awesome, I love the teak decking.
How long does the average boat building project last I wonder?

Heathen why don't you put it on the polls ... or just a poll on the boatbuilding board ... I would be interested

By the way I continue to love the work Scott. i know how life gets in the way.

rob540
21st October 2008, 10:55 AM
Has anyone heard how this build finished up? Tried to send him a message but is 'suspended'... Would be very interested to see the finished boat.
Can anyone contact him?

Boatmik
21st October 2008, 12:04 PM
you could look back through the post ... the designer has the user name mwaller or mikew.

You could try emailing or PMing him

MIK

rob540
21st October 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks again Mik; I did ask Mike but he had no memory of Scottyk or the build. I guess I was hoping someone on the forum may have had contact with the builder since the last post (long time ago now)

GaryK
19th November 2008, 03:17 AM
Hi Rob540,
I little late seeing this thread, if you are still around, I can shed some light on this...
I think its the builder's brother who works at a chandlery I buy epoxy from, we talked about this boat & saw the same pics, they moved it to another location and it appears progress is slowed, ie, not finished yet.

cheers

campasano
19th November 2008, 04:36 AM
Hi Scotty, I'm a newbie on this site and this is the first post I clicked on and let me tell you I picked a good one. Now I must say that you have spent the last 18 months working on something that could last you a lifetime. I am really impressed and cannot wait to see it completed. Great job...Mike

RFNK
25th November 2008, 07:40 PM
The job looks fantastic Scotty! I've been thinking of doing some cold moulding too. My question is this - why use staples that need to be removed? Couldn't you just use short bronze or copper nails and simply leave them in place?
Second question is this - where did you get the KB pine?

Love the boat!! Rick

scottyk
20th April 2009, 03:09 PM
Hi Guys
Sorry for not replying to your threads and my absence from the forum, I have been been very busy with changing job and studying as well. No excuses just lazy!
Here are some pics of the progress. Turning the boat was very stresfull but nice to have it on the trailer!, its all coming to gether now.
Spraying the hull was something I wont attempt again
Its pretty much full steam ahead from now on.......

for RFNK
KB pine came from West coast of Tassie, cant remeber where
Staples should be taken out I reckon, extra weight belongs in steam rollers!

rob540
20th April 2009, 03:24 PM
Welcome back Scotty, It will be good to see your progress. I've enjoyed your thread immensely.

honkongphoie
20th April 2009, 05:26 PM
turning over i think is the most stressful part of the build, i know when i turned my yellowtail over the night befor every thing that could go wrong was going through my head, what if this/what if that happens

she looks great by the way

scottyk
26th May 2009, 03:43 PM
Here is some more pics of the boat, getting close now!
Starting to get some fittings on the deck which is nice and very motivating to keep pushing it along and get it done quick.
A question or the forum, I was going to get dark windows and use small bolts to mount them with about an inch of cover on the outside, has anyone got any experience with mounting windows like this?, any advice?
thanks
Scotty

rob540
26th May 2009, 03:58 PM
Looking very fine Scotty- but you don't think you can get away without details of the paint job do you? I noticed that you had a less than happy experience with the spray gun (even though it looks great) on the hull. Did you persist with that on the cabin?
As to windows, I'm intending to fix into a rebate from the inside, with timber cover strips screwed onto the cabin wall, but I know other Waller builders have bolted as per your method above, using dome headed nuts on the inside.

m2c1Iw
26th May 2009, 07:40 PM
Here is some more pics of the boat, getting close now!
Starting to get some fittings on the deck which is nice and very motivating to keep pushing it along and get it done quick.
A question or the forum, I was going to get dark windows and use small bolts to mount them with about an inch of cover on the outside, has anyone got any experience with mounting windows like this?, any advice?
thanks
Scotty

Not quite the same but thought I'd explain my experience, might be handy to know.

I had a cat with dark tinted windows around 800x800mm set into a rebate on a bed of urethane about 10mm thick so they were flush on the outside. Looked great but the boat was moored in the tropics and the sealer sagged in the heat causing leaks. The theory was by not using bolts the cracks that often develop due to expansion should be avoided. Ended up bolting through oversize holes :rolleyes:

Hopefully Mik or PAR can offer some technical advice.

scottyk
30th May 2009, 03:51 PM
In reply to Rob, I rolled the top sides, 2 pack poly. I sort of thought that it was going to be mostly covered with grip and my spray painting is average at best.
The spray for the hull (also 2 pack poly) was just a bit too orange peel for my liking so I just layed on about three coats let it cure hard and the sanded with 800 then polished with cut and then cream. Looks good but took along time.
I still have to do the stripe to join the two together, some sort of green I think.
get back home for a break in about a week so should get it sailing real soon
Scotty

Mezaire
15th June 2009, 03:16 AM
Hey all,

Well I'm Scotty's brother who works in the chandlery/riggers and sells the epoxy as mentioned above!!
The boat has moved to the point that I can be of more use than just sanding!!

The rig is off a 16ft skiff and has a flexible fibreglass top. We would get rid of this but Scotty also has a main from a 16ft skiff that has the pre-bend cut into it so we will run with this for now. The boom is also from the skiff.

The spreaders came from a Thompson 750 that I built a new carbon rig and spreaders for. They are very wide but the ends are welded so that's the length for now. Also put extra external sleeves underneathe the spreaders and on the bottom 700mm.

Took two of us a full day to mount the spreaders, put the t-ball backing plates in, set up the stays, mount the mast base and stand the mast. The pics show the mast held up by ropes why we measured the lower stays. We ran out of light so I will swage up the lowers tomorrow and then get the sails up to set the prebend of the mast etc.

Also a couple more pics to show off Scotty's awesome job on the timber work!!

Rob, I have sailed trailer sailors and sports boats for a while aswell as working in a chandlery/riggers. If you want any help with the deck layout etc. email me at [email protected] and I will sort you out. You can easily sail one of these boats without winches if you set it up right!!

Ben

Mezaire
16th June 2009, 12:18 AM
Got some sails up today!!

Don't fit perfectly just yet but with a visit to the sailmaker this week they should be all good!!

rob540
16th June 2009, 05:46 PM
Suddenly it doesn't look like a build anymore. Very exciting. When???

scottyk
18th June 2009, 10:01 AM
This Sunday is the day, the last couple of weeks have been flat out to say the least!
Sail makers at Extreme Sails in freo did a great rush job on the alterations so they are done. I pick up the windows today and then they have to go on.
I am amazed at how long the sailing fitiitngs are taking to get put fixed on. It is just a slow job. Mainsheet traveler is on, I placed a piece of SS angle under thr traveller that runs the width of the cockpit under the deck, the mounting bolts go through it so that the load from the main sheet is tranferred to the cockpit sides.
I will take plenty of pics of the deck lay out for Rob, I have gone down the more racing path with the lay out and equipment. It helps alot when you have a brother who works in the industry and has rigged these type of masts before.

So hopefully Sunday, weather allowing will be the day I have been waiting for.....whooo!
Scotty

rob540
18th June 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Scotty and good luck. Hope the weather is OK:2tsup:

Fugley
18th June 2009, 03:12 PM
Scotty
What time and where are you going to Launch
I might come down for a look

scottyk
18th June 2009, 11:57 PM
G'day Fugley
I Woodman point down past coogee, see this map referrence
<http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-32.139026,115.762156&spn=0.002144,0.004764&t=h&z=18>

About 1300 I reckon it will be in the water. We will be most likely running out and back to the boat ramp to get the rig balanced etc.
Bloody window maker has had problems so I will have to make some fake windows, standby for pics!
I go back to work next week so it will go in the water on sunday
See you all there

Mezaire
22nd June 2009, 01:33 AM
Hey all,

Scotty is probably well and truly by now so here are a few pics of the launching and first sail.

Everything went bloody well, no breakages, 5.4 knots upwind and a top speed of 6.8 knots on a beam reach. Even did 6.5 knots under motor!! We still have to tune the rig a bit and get the spinnaker up.

Windows are just white ply in the pics, real ones to go on this week.

YouTube - Scotty's Waller 5.4 first sail

Mez

Darce
22nd June 2009, 03:17 AM
Did you towel it dry?

Congratulations!!

rob540
22nd June 2009, 12:23 PM
Congratulations on your launch, and I'm so glad it went without any problems (apart from the window maker holding you up). She looks fabulous and obviously moves purposefully:2tsup:

scottyk
22nd June 2009, 04:33 PM
The day went off without a drama, I kept waiting for something to go wrong but it didn't!
I have another list of things to that need adjusting etc. but nothing major. She sailed really well, very nimble easy on the helm
Thanks for following my build, its been slow but it was worth it in the end.
Scotty

Old Codger
23rd June 2009, 02:17 PM
She is a real credit to you Scottie
Concratulations, it has been a long job but I bet you are wearing a big grin now.
There is alot of pleasure in building a timber boat.
One day you will be able to show your kids all the photos, or perhaps you will be building a bigger one by then
Well done

scottyk
25th June 2009, 02:12 AM
She is a real credit to you Scottie
Concratulations, it has been a long job but I bet you are wearing a big grin now.
There is alot of pleasure in building a timber boat.
One day you will be able to show your kids all the photos, or perhaps you will be building a bigger one by then
Well done

Thats my old man, means a bit to a boy.