PDA

View Full Version : (Maybe) stupid jointer question

anthonyd
4th November 2005, 10:53 AM
Hi, can someone please answer a simple question with regard to jointers?

When a jointer is rated as a 6" jointer does that mean that the maximum cut width is 6" or the maximum stock thickness is 6"?

What I am getting at, is suppose I want to plane the surface of a 23" board and I only have a 6" jointer, can I do it in a series of passes each 6" wide? Or is this not possible (ie 6" jointer cannot handle anything wider than 6" period!)

Thanks

burn
4th November 2005, 10:59 AM
Or is this not possible (ie 6" jointer cannot handle anything wider than 6" period!)

Thanks

Anthony,

This is the case - a 6" jointer only handles 6" wide boards, 8" only 8" boards etc. If you need to joint anything wider you could rip the board into a number of 6" widths, joint them and then rejoin them. Alternatively, get a number 7 plane and do it by hand.

silentC
4th November 2005, 11:00 AM
There's no way you can plane a 23" wide board on a 6" jointer.

There is another answer for boards from 6" to 12" wide but it involves removing saftey features.

Let's just say that the 6" refers to the widest board you can plane. Maybe you should go and have a look at one and you'll understand.

anthonyd
4th November 2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the asnwers people - I currently dont have a 23 inch board that needs jointing but it was a hypothetical question to aid me in a decision about getting a jointer.

I am busy building some end grain cutting boards and I have finished them except that the blocks are not 100% level (about 0.25 mm difference between some). I initially tried to sand them down with an orbital sander, but the problem here is that some blocks are sanding faster than others (differnt hardness woods). The result is that you can feel the board now has a slight wave to it where the softer woods have been sanded down more.

I bought a bosch power planer from bunnings and tried using that and ended up only making things worse (so I suspect my skills with a hand held plane will be even worse!).

The boards are too wide for the thicknesser (36cm)!

Currently I am thinking that my only other option is to use a belt sander - that should sand them down more evenly.

keith53
4th November 2005, 11:27 AM
"What about a drum sander?

anthonyd
4th November 2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah a drum sander would be perfect but alas I dont own one! BY the way I made a mistake the boards are 36cm wide not 36inches - that would a be a big cutting board!

Wongo
4th November 2005, 11:48 AM
A router and a jig and slientC can explain it for me. He is a bit more articulate. :)

anthonyd
4th November 2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah I did see that somewhere and I have also considered that - maybe I should relook at doing that. What is the largest diameter bit I woudl use to do this?

Thanks

Wongo
4th November 2005, 12:18 PM
It probably doesn’t matter that much. Not too small of course, I think 2cm will do. :)

silentC
4th November 2005, 12:24 PM
A router and a jig and slientC can explain it for me. He is a bit more articulate. :)
A picture paints a thousand words:

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/backissuesstore/sn021.jpg

Get a bowl cutter, which has rounded corners. You'll get a better finish.

Packrat Pete
4th November 2005, 03:14 PM
I'm in the process of building one of those jigs as well.

Cheers

Pete.

Just George
4th November 2005, 03:41 PM
For a one off job, go to a cabinetmaker and ask to use their wide belt sander, they may chanrge you for the use but it will come out flat and sanded ready for polishing.

Woody

Wild Dingo
4th November 2005, 04:31 PM
A year ago I made one of those sleds for the router from plans found on the net somewhere... worked a treat!... I made it 30in long but still I think I will make a couple at different sizes :cool:

Cant remember where the site was now sadly or Id link to it :(

Stubchain
5th November 2005, 02:37 PM
I made this jig some time ago and used it on my end grain chopping boards a while back. I use a 19mm bit, the design means I can router plane pretty large panels without too much restictions.

I had a bit of trouble with my end grain boards being uneven. I found the problem. It was the very first piece to be glued up. I found it was not sitting square, every piece after that then sat at a slight angle which gave a stepped effect across the whole board.

So when I glued up my second board I clamped my first piece down to the work bench ensuring it sat nice and square. The rest fell into place.

I'm just about to start another end board made from Celery top pine and myrtle.

barnsey
5th November 2005, 10:51 PM
I've made one of those jigs too - works quite well.

If my memory serves me, which often isn't the case, it was a Popular Mechanics website but I found it via Google search using Router surfacing jig - I think.

FWIW

Jamie

anthonyd
6th November 2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks all:D