PDA

View Full Version : Pedestal Bowl

cqvillas
20th January 2020, 01:59 PM
Turned up a pedestal bowl for my mates wifes 50th birthday.
Timber is Dead Finish and the finish is 4 coats of Kunos Oil. Bowl is sanded to 600 grit and rubbed with OOOO steel wool between coats.
Really impressed with the finish I get using the Kunos Oil, it really lifts the colours in the timber and gives it a very natural feel.

smiife
20th January 2020, 08:07 PM
Very nice bowl , well done , the finish looks great , might have to try your method ,
Do you use the oil between each grits ? Or just the oooo ?

tony_A
20th January 2020, 09:12 PM
Very nice piece of wood and the finish is fantastic.

Tony

Dalboy
21st January 2020, 07:49 AM
Nice piece and the finish is just great well done

cqvillas
21st January 2020, 01:25 PM
Hi Smiife,

Thanks for your comment.
Link below for applying Livos Oil.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIXQj9BQCY)

Cheers Nev

artful bodger
22nd January 2020, 09:55 PM
Dead Finish is such a weird name for a nice looking timber.
Wonder how it got that name?.
Looks really well made and your mates wife has got a cracking pedestal bowl for her birthday.

cqvillas
23rd January 2020, 01:36 PM
Dead Finish is such a weird name for a nice looking timber.
Wonder how it got that name?.
Looks really well made and your mates wife has got a cracking pedestal bowl for her birthday.

Thanks Artful,

From what I have read, the tree is very hard to kill so the aboriginees believed that if it did die then it would be the finish of mankind.

Regards,
Nev

brainstrust
23rd January 2020, 05:57 PM
Fantastic shape, wood and finish. Does the kunos oil need a final finish over top or will it be fine just as it is?

cqvillas
23rd January 2020, 06:53 PM
Fantastic shape, wood and finish. Does the kunos oil need a final finish over top or will it be fine just as it is?

Thanks for your comments.
You could apply a wax over the top and buff it but I believe it doesn't need it, personal choice I suppose.

Regards,
Nev