PDA

View Full Version : Small round copper backed mirrors_ what are they used for??

Share All
29th January 2020, 05:47 PM
I have a vintage (???) tool that I do not know what its use was. :no:

The 3 pocket pouch is fabric backed vinyl, the cord is nylon so I guess it's not that old.

The mirrors are 9mm wide ( 3 1/2 " ) are copper backed and bear the name Franklin Ware.

I will add photos for better identification.
The mirrors can be made to stand, they can be suspended with the nylon cord.

I believe there may have been three mirrors because of the three pockets so maybe the could have had a job of triangulation. Just guessing here. All help appreciated Thanks in advance.

Lyle
29th January 2020, 09:43 PM
Military????

Share All
30th January 2020, 02:13 AM
Lyle can you expand on your military thoughts.

Lyle
30th January 2020, 08:41 AM
Not really. Cord looks like a paracord type used in military. Mirrors could be used in a fixture to focus/align. Eg survey equipment.
All supposition.
Where did you get it,family,job lot at aution etc. Might throw some light.....
Lyle

Share All
30th January 2020, 01:05 PM
I bought for $5 at a secondhand shop. The owner did not know what was used for and had it for many years..hence selling it so low. I just love all things copper. I may try to incorporate them in a woodwork project...not sure what.
Share-All

Simplicity
30th January 2020, 09:12 PM
I would suggest that there for someone travailing doing makeup?

Do you think the cord is original??

Just a wild guess really

Cheers Matt.

Share All
30th January 2020, 09:18 PM
Matt I reckon the cord is original and probably important in the use of the mirrors. As far as make-up mirrors why would you have three pockets for multiple mirrors..A vain grey nomad perhaps???
.Cheers Share-All

China
30th January 2020, 10:18 PM
I don't believe the cord is original, the way they are made and the patina suggest to me the mirrors are older than the cord same with the wallet, later addition,
This is a long shot, tri fold mirrors were very common in days gone buy e.g Victorian era, my opinion and this just a wild guess, is they are a set of travelling makeup/shaving mirrors with one missing, and could be set up in any convenient location.
But then again I could be way off

poundy
31st January 2020, 07:44 AM
I agree, China. Cord would have been on both of the "identical" mirrors if they were original

Potts
31st January 2020, 10:55 AM
There is some engraved / pressed lettering on the back of one of the mirrors, have you googled that?

Simplicity
31st January 2020, 11:45 AM
Matt I reckon the cord is original and probably important in the use of the mirrors. As far as make-up mirrors why would you have three pockets for multiple mirrors..A vain grey nomad perhaps???
.Cheers Share-All

Large mirrors I imagine back in the Victoria era would be very expensive.

Three smaller mirrors would be a lot cheaper an easier to transport.

Cheers Matt

orraloon
31st January 2020, 11:58 AM
Dont think there was nylon chord or vinyl back in Victorian times.
Belonged to a magician for doing the 3 mirror trick:D
Regards
John

Share All
31st January 2020, 05:17 PM
Well, China ,Poundy, Matt, Potts and John,
This time I did not use the mirror makers name Franklin Ware ,but Googled 'small+ round+travel +mirrors'. Judging by the similar items I would agree that the three mirrors could be set up in the same way a tri-fold set would be. 468002468001468000The photos show similar items.

As to the age it's probably vintage because the cloth backed vinyl suggests it isn't antique. The photos I found on Etsy are strikingly similar.

The paracord was probably attached much later so the mirror could be hung from a high nail, hook, tree limb...whatever, so that the shaver could see his face.
I'm even thinking the mirrors " second life " may possibly have be used by a clean shaven outback bushman.

Given the patina...say 50 years plus, I doubt that the three mirrors were for a pre-1970s woman doing her own Brazilian shave. Gee Am I being sexist here??

Anyway thanks to all the ideas of travel, it's how I am now content with a better informed opinion ...and I can rest now.

Peace
Share-All