PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Bottle Stoppers

doragus
1st February 2020, 05:17 PM
Not sure if this a new idea but I haven't seen it before.
No need for those wood turning stopper kits in Aus because most of wine now has screw tops. Just collect the wine bottle caps (after drinking the wine of course) and it's an easy job to turn up decorative caps to your own design. Make great gifts for Aussie wine drinkers.
So far I have found that the various caps are interchangeable so they will fit most bottles. Also found that they all fit in a recess drilled with a 30mm Forstener bit with little or no adjustment. Easy!

turnerted
1st February 2020, 07:39 PM
A good idea . There could be many vatiations in the shape . It always surprises me that the traditional wine bottle stoppers still sell well .
Ted

China
2nd February 2020, 01:19 AM
It always surprises me that the traditional wine bottle stoppers still sell well That is because traditional wine drinkers consider screw tops to be the lowest of the low

NCArcher
2nd February 2020, 09:18 AM
That is because traditional wine drinkers consider screw tops to be the lowest of the low
I think you'll find that the cask wine 'tap' is probably lower. I went on a winery tour in the Hunter Valley years ago. The guide, when asked where does the lees (spelling?) or junk/sludge from the bottom of the vat go replied that it is pumped to South Australia where they make it into cask wine. :D

brainstrust
2nd February 2020, 10:40 AM
Nice idea. I find once the lid comes off there's no reason to put it back on!!!!! Still like it though :2tsup:

China
2nd February 2020, 04:10 PM
Yep you win, Cask Wine is most likely bottom of the list (but they sell a huge amount of it)

doragus after getting side tracked it is a great idea maybe you should laser engrave them "doragus bottle stopper"